[comp.text] Ligatures in TROFF

flynn@anyguay.acm.rpi.edu (Kevin Lincoln Flynn) (07/07/89)

I'm using troff on a 3B2/400 with a bitmap display to format the overview
of a software project I'm working on...  when I give the command

  troff -mm overview > ov.troff

it works fine, no errors, no problems.  Then I

  proof ov.troff

(proof is the phototypesetter simulator for the AT&T 5620 bitmap display.)
Again, it works fine, except that every time the character combinations
'fl,' 'fi,' or 'ffi' appear in the text proof attempts to load that particular
ligature off disk...  and it doesn't exist!  I didn't see any way in the
manual to tell troff NOT to use the ligatures...  is there a way?

Thanks in advance...

  - Flynn

Kevin Lincoln Flynn    flynn@anyguay.acm.rpi.edu, userfwvl@mts.rpi.edu
2151 12th Street       H (518) 273-6914  W (518) 447-8561
Troy, NY  12180
...Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours.

wnp@attctc.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/07/89)

In article <5858@rpi.edu> flynn@anyguay.acm.rpi.edu (Kevin Lincoln Flynn) writes:
=Again, it works fine, except that every time the character combinations
='fl,' 'fi,' or 'ffi' appear in the text proof attempts to load that particular
=ligature off disk...  and it doesn't exist!  I didn't see any way in the
=manual to tell troff NOT to use the ligatures...  is there a way?

Try this:

	.lg 0

Should work fine :-)

Wolf
UUCP:   {texbell, attctc, dalsqnt}!dcs!wnp
DOMAIN: wnp@attctc.dallas.tx.us or wnp%dcs@texbell.swbt.com
        NOTICE: As of July 3, 1989, "killer" has become "attctc".

jaap+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jaap Akkerhuis) (07/07/89)

> Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.text: 6-Jul-89 ligatures in troff Kevin
> Lincoln Flynn@anyg (865)

> manual to tell troff NOT to use the ligatures...  is there a way?

Look under section 10.2 ligatures, that tells about .lg

.lg N	ligatures on when N is absent or non-zero
	N = 2 only two character ligatures

Read further for more details.

jeff@ism780c.isc.com (Jeff Copeland) (07/08/89)

In article <5858@rpi.edu> flynn@anyguay.acm.rpi.edu (Kevin Lincoln Flynn) writes:
>                                             I didn't see any way in the
>manual to tell troff NOT to use the ligatures...  is there a way?

Try .lg 0 to turn ligatures off.

morrell@hpsal2.HP.COM (Michael Morrell) (07/08/89)

> I didn't see any way in the
> manual to tell troff NOT to use the ligatures...  is there a way?

Yes, use ".lg 0".

  Michael

henry@angel.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton--Software Products) (03/05/90)

Fellow troff users.  I'm using DWB 2.0 titroff, and for various
reasons (one being that TranScript doesn't support the three
character ligatures), I just turned them off for this project
I'm doing.  The results, to say the least, are amazing.  A
six-line paragraph containing only one `fi' ligature is packed
much tighter, and better in my opinion, than when I had them
turned on.

Anybody out there have any knowledge of the state of
support in this area?  Are there, dare we say it, bugs?
Bugs in titroff?  I must be dreaming.

    Thanks in Advance,

	.........  Henry
| Drink up your beer          |                           |
| before it gets cold!        | arpa: hmcgilton@sun.com   |
|     .... Asterix in Britain | uucp: ...!sun!angel!henry |