[comp.text] wanted: ftp sites for xroff or TeX

kes3200@sjfc.UUCP (Ken Staggers) (03/09/90)

Hello-

  I have finally gotten over my 'fear' of xroff and have been using it, as
well as tbl, to create my resume and a work schedule (how do you shade in
grid boxes or center names in the boxes?).

  Anyway, are there any ftp sites where I can pick up more fonts for xroff
(where did xroff come from anyway?)?  We currently have Roman, Italics,
Sans Serif, and Bold Roman.  What about macro packages (I am not yet ready
to write my own)?  Is there a place where I can ftp them?

  And finally, I just started reading this group.  Is TeX public domain
software?  If so, where can I get it?

  Please E-MAIL your responses TO THIS ADDRESS: ecker@b.scs.uiuc.edu
                               OR THIS ONE: jreg6473@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

  And THANKS!

--Ken

jeburke@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (John Burke) (03/16/90)

In article <902@sjfc.UUCP> kes3200@sjfc.UUCP (Ken Staggers) writes:
>Hello-
>
>  I have finally gotten over my 'fear' of xroff and have been using it, as
>well as tbl, to create my resume and a work schedule (how do you shade in
>grid boxes or center names in the boxes?).
>
>  Anyway, are there any ftp sites where I can pick up more fonts for xroff
>(where did xroff come from anyway?)?  We currently have Roman, Italics,
>Sans Serif, and Bold Roman.  What about macro packages (I am not yet ready
>to write my own)?  Is there a place where I can ftp them?
>
>--Ken

Er, sorry if this is a stupid question (I phase in and out of this
group, so I sometimes miss threads) but what exactly is xroff.  Is it
a PD replacement for troff, and if so, how good is it?  We are not
terribly happy with standard troff and have been considering a third
party solution, but public domain software would probably be quite
acceptable if it were sufficiently reliable and well documented.

Thanks hand     (thanks beforehand)

John Burke
reclaimer:  give that back!!
You cannot coat the wolf with chocolate
Because it already has its own fur.
    Three Mustaphas Three, "DJ Trouble Fez meets 3M3: F'izn"