[comp.text] Using FrameMaker 2.0 with LaTeX

jayem@quiche (Jean Marc MONTI) (06/01/90)

This request was already posted to comp.text.desktop... I guess it has
already been posted in this group also so I apologize for the redundancy.
Here it goes:

So far we've been using FrameMaker 1.3 to make figures, storing them in
postscript files, and using psfig to include them in LaTeX. Then, we run
dvi2ps and we have a postscript file containing both images and text. We
just received FrameMaker 2.0, and we have been unable to use the same
technique and the figures don't get printed anymore. Would anybody out
there know why is this ? Does v2.0 generate something that psfig can't
understand ?? Where do things go wrong ?? Lastly, is there a fix ??

thanks a lot

Jean-Marc
jayem@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca

etan@tellab5.tellabs.com (Nate Stelton) (06/04/90)

In article <3503@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca> jayem@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Jean Marc MONTI) writes:
>So far we've been using FrameMaker 1.3 to make figures, storing them in
>postscript files, and using psfig to include them in LaTeX...
>...  FrameMaker 2.0, and we have been unable to use the same
>technique and the figures don't get printed anymore. Would anybody out
>there know why is this ? Does v2.0 generate something that psfig can't
>understand ?? Where do things go wrong ?? Lastly, is there a fix ??

It does seem that Frame changed something about the way they save PostScript
files.

We do a similar thing with FrameMaker and Eroff, and encountered a similar
problem.  I assume that the problem you are having is that the PostScript
file is an 8.5X11 page overlaying the parent document and "whiting" large
portions of the page or printing somewhere off the page.

This seems to occur on "real" PostScipt devices, but not on our UltraScript QMS
printer.  One thing I did as an experiment (which worked) was this:

1. In FrameMaker, pull up the print menu.

2. As usual, check the "print to .ps file" box.

3. Set the page height to .1" instead of the default 11".

You may have to change the position at which psfig places the imported
PostScript "page" onto the real page.

I realize that this isn't much of a solution, but it may provide some insight
in the problem.  I seems that the proper solution (at least for Eroff
applications) would be for FrameMaker to be able to save to EPS, or for the
importing software to be able to crop the incoming page.

I'm just a dumb customer sharing some meager observations.  Does anyone from
Frame or Elan, or perhaps a LaTeXpert, have any further comments or
assistance?

etan

mario@madarch.man.ac.uk (Mario Wolczko) (06/06/90)

In article <3503@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca>, jayem@quiche (Jean Marc MONTI) writes:
> So far we've been using FrameMaker 1.3 to make figures, storing them in
> postscript files, and using psfig to include them in LaTeX. Then, we run
> dvi2ps and we have a postscript file containing both images and text. We
> just received FrameMaker 2.0, and we have been unable to use the same
> technique and the figures don't get printed anymore. Would anybody out
> there know why is this ? Does v2.0 generate something that psfig can't
> understand ?? Where do things go wrong ?? Lastly, is there a fix ??

We have encountered exactly the same problem.  In 2.0, the folks who
wrote it were kind enough to ensure that no matter what you do, the
PostScript generated by Maker cannot be included in another document,
because it messes with global things.  It also carefully obliterates
part of the page before drawing anything.  When I called our support
number about this, at first I couldn't get them to understand what on
earth I was talking about ("Why not stop using LaTeX anyway?"), and
then they said it wouldn't be fixed.  If anyone from Frame is out
there, *please fix this*.  It's antisocial to produce PostScript that
cannot be imported.

Unfortunately, I can find no easy-to-apply fix.  First, you have to
get rid of the lines that look like this:
       manualfeed {true} {papersize} ifelse
       {manualpapersize} {false} ifelse
       {desperatepapersize} if
(These are in /FMDOCUMENT.)  Then, you have to get rid of some of the
lines that are at the beginning of your diagram.  These seem to vary
from diagram to diagram, so you'll have to experiment.  Here's an
example from one of my drawings:
	612 792 0 FMBEGINPAGE
	0 0 612 792 C
	0 0 612 792 R
	7 X
	0 K
	%V
	%72 746 540 756 R
	%V
	%72 32.67 540 42.67 R
	%V
	%72 72 540 720 R
	%V
	90 450 36 18 125.57 630 G
	1 H
	0 Z
	0 X
I have commented out some of the lines.

Best of luck.

Mario Wolczko

   ______      Dept. of Computer Science   Internet:      mario@cs.man.ac.uk
 /~      ~\    The University              USENET:    mcsun!ukc!man.cs!mario
(    __    )   Manchester M13 9PL          JANET:         mario@uk.ac.man.cs
 `-':  :`-'    U.K.                        Tel: +44-61-275 6146  (FAX: 6280)
____;  ;_____________the mushroom project___________________________________

zmls04@trc.amoco.com (Martin L. Smith) (06/06/90)

In article <1307@m1.cs.man.ac.uk> mario@madarch.man.ac.uk (Mario Wolczko) writes:

..... discussion of difficulty importing FrameMaker 2.0 PS files into LaTeX

   We have encountered exactly the same problem.  In 2.0, the folks who
   wrote it were kind enough to ensure that no matter what you do, the
   PostScript generated by Maker cannot be included in another document,
   because it messes with global things.  It also carefully obliterates
   part of the page before drawing anything.  When I called our support
   number about this, at first I couldn't get them to understand what on
   earth I was talking about ("Why not stop using LaTeX anyway?"), and
   then they said it wouldn't be fixed.  If anyone from Frame is out
   there, *please fix this*.  It's antisocial to produce PostScript that
   cannot be imported.

I think it's a lot worse than antisocial.  It is at least unethical,
maybe outright dishonest.  If the manufacturer is doing this on
purpose than he is deliberately sabotaging his own customers.

My own employers (for whom I do not speak) are currently looking over
Frame and some other DTP packages.  If Frame's makers are deliberately
crippling their product to prevent us from using it as a generic tool
to produce PS files (and I regard unwillingness to correct such a
severe shortcoming as "deliberate"), then I think it will not be too
difficult to ensure that, whatever we end up using, it will not be
FrameMaker.

--

   Martin L. Smith             Amoco Research Center
                               P.O. Box 3385

tdm@frame.UUCP (Trish Mudgett) (06/13/90)

As the Technical Support Manager at Frame Technology, a few postings
were forwarded to my attention regarding FrameMaker 2.0 and LaTeX.
A representative of our engineering department offers the following
in answer to this issue.

-------------------

Concerning recent messages about folks using FrameMaker-generated PostScript
in LaTeX:  Please remember that FrameMaker is a document compilation system.
Just as with Interleaf, Ventura, PageMaker, Quark, and every other document
compiler (including troff, TeX, and LaTeX), our PostScript is, of necessity,
designed to be printed.   Adobe has specified "Document Structuring
Conventions" to help provide standards in this regard, so that post-processing
can be done to reverse-print, or make folio plates, or automatically download
fonts on demand, etc. We attempt to comply with these standards so that we can
be "good citizens" in the printing world.

On the other hand, programs that create graphics images intended for inclusion
in other documents (everything from MacDraw and MacPaint on up) have a
different set of requirements.  In the PostScript world, it's best for these
applications to follow Adobe's "Encapsulated PostScript" specification, so
that they can be readily imported into documents managed by document compilers
such as FrameMaker, and be easily scaled, rotated, and (especially) printed on
a PostScript printer without any worry about interference between the image's
PostScript code and that of the document compiler's.  Again, we try hard to
make sure that FrameMaker is able to properly import Encapsulated PostScript
files.

What we don't do (and to the best of my knowledge, what Interleaf, Ventura,
PageMaker, Quark, troff, and certainly TeX/LaTeX also don't do) is to somehow
make our fully-paginated, printer-oriented PostScript output also behave as if
it were proper Encapsulated PS.  FrameMaker's output wasn't designed with this
goal in mind, nor does it appear on any "feature list" for our product, nor
has FrameMaker ever been advertised or otherwise officially represented as
being able to accomplish this difficult task. What we'd probably need to do
would be to add a feature whereby a single page of a FrameMaker document could
be output in Encapsulated PS format. Even if we had the resources to spec and
implement and test and support it, there are many other features that our
customers have asked for much more frequently that are higher priority to
implement.

This is not to say that there aren't some customers who have made use of
FrameMaker's PostScript output in ways we hadn't planned for.  Due to the
design of the PostScript language, it's not too surprising that it is in fact
possible to extract sections of our output and be able to splice them into
other PostScript files.  It's quite doable with FrameMaker 1.3, and likewise
for FrameMaker 2.0.  No doubt there's a bit of hand-work to be done in both
cases, and some familiarity with the PostScript language is probably necessary
to figure it out the first time.  It's also undoubtedly going to be a different
procedure with FM 2.0's vs. FM 1.3's PostScript, since no attempt was made to
keep it the same.  On the other hand, the differences shouldn't be much, since
FM 2.0's PostScript is only different than FM 1.3's with regards to features
that were added to our 2.0 FrameMaker product that need improved printing
support (Bezier curves, rounded rectangles, unlimited font sizes, thumbnail
printing, registration marks, user-defined arrows, rotation, mixed page
orientation, full-color raster printing, spot color support, better paper size
support, etc.)  In the process of adding these features, it's not at all
surprising if we might affect some attribute of our PostScript output that we
don't test, don't support, and don't even consider.

On the other hand, if anyone points out a specific bug in our PostScript
output, we'd be very happy to hear about it and fix it as soon as possible.
And if anyone can provide us with specifications for how we can improve our
PostScript output so that it can be more useful in broader applications than
it was designed to handle while still fulfilling all our requirements for the
current uses and users that we have strong commitment to, then we'd be glad to
hear it.  Simply saying "It doesn't work with LaTeX" isn't sufficient for us
to do anything, since it's not a matter of LaTeX, it's a matter of which
DVI->PostScript interpreter is being used and what its requirements are in the
way of non-EPS PostScript inclusion.  There were a number of such programs
floating around last time I looked, each with different sorts of conventions,
and different sets of bugs, which certainly makes the problem even more
difficult.

Finally, I must take personal exception to remarks about "antisocial",
"unethical" and, "outright dishonest" behavior.  I'm personally responsible
for FrameMaker's PostScript output.  We have some of the highest-quality
PostScript output in the industry; it's compact, efficient, portable, and
fast.  Adobe's Green Book, the new Red Book, the Type 1 Fonts book, the
Illustrator '88 and other new Adobe product documentation are FrameMaker
PostScript files.  As it happens, my previous position was Manager of the
TeX Project at Stanford.  I spent eight years working for Prof. Donald Knuth,
helping to implement, debug, tune, distribute, and support TeX.  The very fact
that it's as easy as it is to get PostScript output out of TeX and LaTeX is
due in great part to the DVI output format I designed.  The notion that I
would somehow sabotage FrameMaker's PostScript so as to interfere with TeX
brings into question my professional conduct here at Frame, as well as my
loyalty to all my old friends in the TeX community.  A truly low blow.

David Fuchs
Frame Technology
drf@frame.com

-------------

We continue to welcome your feedback about our FrameMaker product. If
you would like to send your comments to us directly, please feel free
to use the "comments@frame.com" address. This alias is monitored by
the Technical Support staff of Frame Technology.

Trish Dailey Mudgett
Frame Technology
tdm@frame.com

spqr@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Sebastian Rahtz) (06/13/90)

David Fuchs writes about Framemaker & PostScript:

   What we don't do (and to the best of my knowledge, what Interleaf,
   Ventura, PageMaker, Quark, troff, and certainly TeX/LaTeX also
   don't do) is to somehow make our fully-paginated, printer-oriented
   PostScript output also behave as if it were proper Encapsulated PS.
.
.
.
   DVI->PostScript interpreter is being used and what its requirements
   are in the way of non-EPS PostScript inclusion.  There were a
   number of such programs floating around last time I looked, each
   with different sorts of conventions, and different sets of bugs,
   which certainly makes the problem even more difficult.

I haven't really followed this debate, because I don't use Framemaker,
and do not understand why people want to put its output into LaTeX,
but I think David Fuchs isn't entirely correct in his statements:

 1) There are several dvi to PS converters that generate good robust
    encapsulated PostScript; I have included output from dvitops, for
    instance, back into a LaTex document, and into Illustrator (and
    thence back into LaTeX)

 2) Pagemaker appears to me to produce pretty acceptable EPS output; I
    often use it to wrap up Macdraw pictures for inclusion into LaTeX.

Mind you, I think Fuchs' conclusion (`blame the dvi to PS program
not my PS) is probably not a bad one. There are still a lot of
inadequate dvi to PS programs out there.

Sebastian Rahtz
--
Sebastian Rahtz                        S.Rahtz@uk.ac.soton.ecs (JANET)
Computer Science                       S.Rahtz@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bitnet)

dbs@dbsmax.enet.dec.com (dan sears) (06/14/90)

The Adobe PostScript file server has a script for fixing Frame 2.0 files.
The directory has the following introduction:

fixFM.script                889 Mar 23 17:16
    This is a simple UNIX shell script that uses awk to fix PostScript
    language files that are produced from Frame Maker 2.0 on the Sun.
    The problem is that the files generated are not page independent
    and therefore fail to execute properly in some environments where
    page independence is strictly enforced (such as the NeXT preview
    app). This program is NOT a general purpose fix-up program. It
    ONLY works for file generated from Frame Maker 2.0 on the Sun.

Try sending a mail message to ps-file-server@adobe.com with
this line: "send Programs fixFM.script".

--Dan

mario@madarch.man.ac.uk (Mario Wolczko) (06/15/90)

In article <3762@frame.UUCP>, David Fuchs (drf@frame.com) explained
Frame Technology's position regarding the production of PostScript
from FrameMaker.  In summary, his position was that FrameMaker is for
document compilation, and hence need not produce Encapsulated
PostScript.  Further, he states that Frame Technology has never
advertised their product as being able to do this.

First, thanks for the response.  Second, I agree that FM was never
advertised as doing this, and hence the strongest word I used in my
posting was "antisocial".

The key statement in his his response seems to be:
> This is not to say that there aren't some customers who have made use of
> FrameMaker's PostScript output in ways we hadn't planned for.
People will always do this.  If we as a site have invested in 10 FM
licenses (which we have), it is because we thought we were buying a
versatile and well-made product (which it is).  Two aspects of that
product are:
 - it has a pretty good graphics editor
 - it produces PostScript
An obvious possibility then is that the graphics editor could be used
to produce PostScript diagrams, subsequently to be imported into a
different system (in our case LaTeX).  Note that we did not *expect*
this to be an absolutely smooth process, because, as David rightly
says, it was not advertised as a feature.

However the realities of life are such that all PostScript --- even
that designed to be printed --- may have to be processed in some way.
Examples I can think of are doing "n-up" printing and page
re-ordering.  The PostScript language and the structuring conventions
were designed exactly with this in mind.  There are bound to be others
that I have not thought of --- nobody can anticipate all the
possibilities.

Hence, it would seem only sensible for a company like Frame Tech. to
design its product so that it can be used in cooperation with other
tools, ie for it to be in some way "open".  Having your PostScript
importable seems to me to be one of the smallest ways in which they
can do this.  Indeed, in 1.3 things *could* be imported with only
minor effort (the %%BoundingBox values had to be edited).  Clearly,
you have already done this to some degree (eg, your pages can be
reordered) ... why not go the whole way?

To me this just makes sound business sense: your customers are
happier, and some of them (here, mostly LaTeX users) get to use your
product who otherwise wouldn't.  Your position seems to be almost
encouraging us to go out and buy a different package for this purpose;
surely you want as many FM users as possible?

Arguing that other products don't do it really doesn't wash: as
Sebastian Rahtz has pointed out, some do (or get darned close).
Anyhow, even if they didn't, wouldn't this give your product an edge?

> Finally, I must take personal exception to remarks about "antisocial"
> [...] behavior.
This was not intended as a personal slight.  But I still feel it's
antisocial to say "we'll take anybody's (encapsulated) PostScript but we
won't let anybody else take ours".  It isn't that hard to make EPSF;
surely one option to output a single page in that format wouldn't be
too hard to provide?  Then again, I may not need it now that a fix has
been placed on the Adobe server...