[comp.text] WordPerfect vs. MSWord

larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) (07/04/90)

Of course, the question "which is better" is silly.

So instead, what are your opinions of each?

What if most users are using dumb ascii terminals (ie. no an Alt
key, no mouse)?

What is the lasted prediction on the delivery date of WP 5.x?

Are they reliable on Interactive's 386/ix? (2.0.2 & 2.2)

Are versions available for non 386 versions of Unix (ie. Mips
workstations, Sony workstations, Sun workstations etc).

Any comments?

Post if you prefer, I'll summarize any e-mail I receive.

-larry

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (07/06/90)

In article <LARRY.90Jul3171755@focsys.uucp> larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:

>Of course, the question "which is better" is silly.
>
>So instead, what are your opinions of each?

Well, we use Quadratron's CLIQ product.  It's far more than just a WP
package, and is IMHO just as good as WP and MSW.  It supports all sorts
of nice REAL UNIX stuff like job control (the ability to suspend WP sessions
to do other things, like use the message pad, phone book, calendar, e-mail
etc), and it's around the same price!  This is a very cost effective
solution.  It runs very nicely on our ISC 2.02.

--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz

rg@psgdc (Dick Gill) (07/09/90)

In article <LARRY.90Jul3171755@focsys.uucp> larry@focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:

>So instead, what are your opinions of each?

We have been using Wordperfect 4.2 on our NCR Tower 600 for almost a
year and have several clients using the same configuration.
Performance seems fine and we regularly exchange files with
PC's. As to the intrinsic value of the product, we sell to law
firms and they have already determined that Wordperfect is the
de facto word processing standard in that industry; as much as I
resist the "herd" instinct, I have found it to be a fine
software product.

>What if most users are using dumb ascii terminals (ie. no an Alt
>key, no mouse)?

We mostly use Wyse-60's (I use a Wyse-150 @19200) at 9600
although we do have some Wyse-50's (not so good because of no
"hidden attributes").  The lack of a mouse is no problem, but
the two keystrokes needed for a function key makes it a bit
tricky to jump from the Unix Wordperfect to the PC version.

>What is the lasted prediction on the delivery date of WP 5.x?

After early bad reports about WP 5.0 on Xenix, Wordperfect now
says that it works fine; based on that we are installing it on a
client's '386 machine next week. (I have found the Wordperfect
organization to be particularly honest and reliable!)

>Are they reliable on Interactive's 386/ix? (2.0.2 & 2.2)
Don't know.

>Are versions available for non 386 versions of Unix (ie. Mips
>workstations, Sony workstations, Sun workstations etc).
Yes, but I don't have the list at hand. Check with Wordperfect
or e-mail to me with details.

>Any comments?
I'm interested in the experience of others and hope that we can
use this as a forum for discussion of our impressions and
experiences.

>Post if you prefer, I'll summarize any e-mail I receive.
>
>-larry

Dick Gill     Professional Solutions Group   (703)761-1163   ..uunet!psgdc!rg