[comp.text] Latex to hypertext?

dougcc@csv.viccol.edu.au (Douglas Miller) (08/04/90)

In article <2831.26b566ec@cc.helsinki.fi>, harmo@cc.helsinki.fi (Timo
Harmo, Fac. of Soc.Sci, U of Helsinki) writes:

> I am using LaTeX to write a textbook that I would like to give out to
> students also in hypertext-format on diskette. The book contains lot's of
> cross-references, glossaries, index-markings etc. Is there some neat way to
> convert those markings to hypertext-links for Guide, Hyper-Ties or some
> similar program?

Digital's DOCUMENT software is a structural markup system that does this
kind of thing.  As well as the usual typeset output (currently via TeX) it
can also produce hypertext for the DECwindows Bookreader application.

I'm not familiar with Guide et al., but if they have a markup langauge for
text input, than perhaps you could write your source document in this
language, and LaTeX it with a style option that maps the hypertext commands
onto LaTeX commands  with appropriate use of \let, \def and \catcode.
Conversely, you could map LaTeX command onto hypertext commands if the
macroing was powerful enough.

On a more general note, let  me try to stir up some controversy:  Would any
WYSIWYG apologist like to argue against structural markup for this
application?  Surely "WYSIWYG" is meaningless when "What You Get" can be
more than one thing.