[net.periphs] Laser Printer survey

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron) (12/01/84)

Well, its taken me awhile but here is all the data I gathered on laser printers.
I got 2 basic recommendations.  1) get a QMS, 2) get an Imagen.  Both machines
have good features.  Both seem to do the same set of things.  Boith are in the
right price range.  In the end it boiled down to 1 difference.  The Imagen
people were up front with me on the capabilities of the machine.  They sent me
the PROGRAMMING manual for the sucker.  That was my major complaint about the
LN01, that DEC left out all sorts of IMPORTANT information in their manual.
In the Imagen manual, it was all out there in plain sight.

So, we are getting the Imagen.

Some of these following messages are from people out on the net, others are
my notes to myself about the printers.

>From: anl-mcs!ucbvax!decvax!mcnc!swd
>Subject: laser printer info

I highly recommend the QMS 1200.
It builds a bitmap image in memory of the page to be printed,
so there is no limit on the page complexity.  You can even do very
nice graphics with it including nifty things like seed fill.
The documentation on how to download fonts is right in the manual,
but like everything else in the manual, its pretty grungy.

QMS sells troff support including a set of troff fonts for about
$1500 (basic printer is $25K).  tex support is also available.

The output quality is very nice, we have had good experience
with the reliability of the QMS, and its a bitch to program.

	Stephen Daniel
	(decvax!mcnc!swd)
	(swd@mcnc csnet)

>From: Wang Zeep <anl-mcs!G.ZEEP%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC>
>Subject: Re: Request for laser printer information

Yes, the LN01s suck.  We have a bunch, and have given up on them as a long term
solution.

QMS will add their controller to your LN01, giving it lots of capabilities.
[this costs $13k.  Added to the cost of the LN01 gives a total of $33K. - dsh]

Imagen has announced a $10K printer based on the Canon baby engine with
full fonts, etc.

There was a relatively complete review of laser printers in the latest
Digital Review.  Not a great article, but lots of phone numbers.

Tell me if you find anything good, but stay away from the older Imagen
printers -- they're a mess to deal with.

			wz

>From: anl-mcs!meltsner@mit-charon (Ken Meltsner)
>Subject: Re: Thanks for the pointers.

1) There is some sort of LN02 planned.  Don't know anything about it.

2) There is a microLN printer planned, using the Canon baby print
engine, but with a microvax as a controller.

3)  There are some plans for DEC to offer the QMS interface as an
upgrade for LN01 users.

Attached is  a file with the LN01 control codes. Might be handy.
Remember, LN01s do not handle very complex pages. If you have any other
interesting control codes, send them on back.

			Ken
SET PIXEL MODE:
Do this first!

ESC [ 7 <SP> I

RESET LN01:
Should be performed by the queue spooler

ESC c

SET TOP AND BOTTOM MARGINS

Restrictions: Sequence ignored if improper
Top >= 1 (maybe 2)
Bottom >= Top
Bottom cannot exceed form length

Boundary Cases:
Margins are hard margins; only Draw Vector allowed to exceed margins.
If either parm is omitted, the sequence will set the supplied margin.
If both are omitted, the sequence is ignored.

Format: (assume ESC is the escape char "\033")
ESC [ foo ; bar r
	Where:
	foo is top margin in pixels
	bar is bottom margin in pixels
Example:
ESC[100;1900r

SET LEFT AND RIGHT MARGINS:
See above for restrictions, etc.

ESC [ foo ; bar s

HORIZONTAL POSITION ABSOLUTE:
If the new position is beyond a margin, the new horizontal position is
set at the margin.

ESC [ foo `

HORIZONTAL POSITION RELATIVE:
Given a positive argument (only), increments the horizontal position
by foo. Defaults to 1.

ESC [ foo a

VERTICAL POSITION ABSOLUTE:

ESC [ foo d

VERTICAL POSITION RELATIVE:

ESC [ foo e

JUSTIFY:

ESC [ foo <SP> F

0 - Turn off justify.
2 - Turn on justify.

Assumes the following are end of line indicators:
<CR>
<LF>
<VT>
<FF>
Horizontal Position Absolute command
Vertical    "        "        "

This command does not break lines, only fills them. To do so, it will
expand (or contract) space character width until the line justifies.
However, if the expansion requires more than 200% or contraction less
than 60%, the line is output unjustified.

If jfy is turned on and off, special things happen.
Assume * means jfy on, & means jfy off:

LINES IN:
foo bar baz*     &baz bar foo
*foo bar baz foo& *bar baz

OUTPUT: (assume !s are margins)
     !                                              !
     foo bar baz                          baz bar foo
     foo        bar       baz       foo bar       baz

UNDERLINE:

ESC [ foo m
0 - turn underline off
4 - turn underline on

Note that this corresponds with the VT100 code.

DRAW VECTOR:

ESC [ parm1 ; parm2 ; parm3 ; parm4 ; parm5 ! |

parm1: if 1 draw in the horizontal direction, if 0 vertical
parm2: atarting x coordinate
parm3: starting y coordinate
parm4: length
parm5: thickness

WARNING: Please do not draw off the paper!

SUPERSCRIPT:

ESC L

SUBSCRIPT:

ESC K

>From david Tue Oct 30 16:48:49 1984
>To: +laser.printers
>Subject: Printronix NPX-20

From article in DIGITAL REVIEW:

$13,900, 240 by 240 dots per inch.  20 pages per minute.  RS-232, Centronics
and Dataproducts interface.  Dual 250 sheet paper tray.  3 fonts.

Printronix
17500 Cartwright Rd.
Irvine, CA  92713
(714) 863-1900

------------------------------

Called on 30-Oct-84.
Sales Rep:	Doug Alfpauth (ext. 2644)

3 fonts resident (a choice of exactly which (via cartridge?)),
some number of downloadable fonts.
Runs off of Fujitsu Engine.  They just make a controller and package it.
Available November 30.  (The controller is just entering the debugging
phase of design.)
Can run legal size paper, normal 20# stock as for any Xerox machine.
A maintanance manual is available, it comes with operator and programmer
manuals.  Service will be through the local distributor, but training
is available.

Local distributor:	Lowry Computer Products
			Dayton, OH
			(513) 435-7684
			(Should be able to provide a demo
			 at the end of November).

----------------------------

Called again 29-Nov-84

Their printer is now called "LaserPrint-20".
Prints only in "Line Printer Protocol".  No graphics, and no font
changes on a page.
Basic price is $15,900.  Has a 2000 sheet feeder for $2500,
and a 15 bin collator for $4000.
Prints 80-100K pages per month at 20 pages per minute.
They state clearly that they are aiming at "data processing" environments.
Not universities that like printing strange symbols.

Note that this printer isn't yet announced.  The salesman I talked to
thought they might announce it at the Scantech show in Cincinnati
next week.  I didn't bother to find out more once I found out this
printer was useless for us.

>From david Tue Oct 30 17:07:06 1984
>To: +laser.printers
>Subject: QMS Lasergraphics

Quality Micro Systems
PO Box 81250
Mobile, AL  36689
(205) 633-4300

Three models, 8, 12, and 24 ppm.  ($9995, 24995, 34995).

All models support full bit-mapped graphics, downloadable fonts,
graphics, etc.
12 fonts in rom, 10-12 more fonts can be resident also (in rom).
384K memory for fonts.  They have several greek fonts available.
Have a troff output filter available.  Fonts cannot be scaled
for different point sizes.
LN01 upgrade is $13,000.

Service will be either through Xerox office in Lex (they have to
be trained for the controller) or through their distributor in L'ville.

Called QMS 29-Nov-84

Service contracts:

1:	Install only.  $300, covers ONLY the installation.

2:	Depot.  return to them if its broken. $1176/yr.

3:	annual svc. contract.  $1176/yr.
	or time+material $58/hr +parts

[strange that both depot and annual svc contract are same price.  Salesman
mentioned something that the depot version is for people in the hinterlands]

30 days delivery
Bob Heinecke -- Lowry Computer Products.  (513)-435-5544
(district manager)
$9745+$250 for parallel on printer
-10% for educational.
GSA

>From: <anonymous@some-computer>
>Subject: Laser Printers

You might check out Imagen Corporation's 8/300.  We have had no
trouble whatsoever with the printer, software or customer support.
We are using it a lot (>5000 pages per month) and the cost is about
5-6 cents per page (paper, toner and maintenance.  No computer resources
included in that figure).  Cost of our system (holds several downloadable
fonts): $15,000.  The documentation is great, with everything you would
need to know.

You can go ahead and reprint this, just remove my name (I like anominity).
P.S.  Imagen's number: (408) 986 9400

>From: David
>To: +laser.printers
>Subject: Talaris Systems printers.

These printers are basically the same as the QMS printers.  In fact
these people keep mentioning QMS enough that one would think that
the printers actually QMS.

The information packet they send out is VERY complete.  Gives all the
facts and figures one would want.  It just never really answers
their question "Why buy a laser printer from a software company?"
In fact, why buy one of these?  They just seem to be QMS creatures.

3 models.  Talaris 2400, 1200 and 800 for $34990, $24990, and $9990.
(First thing to notice, same numbers and pricing as QMS).

The 2400 and 1200 are based on Xerox engines with the 800 base on
the Cannon LBP-CX engine.  All have resolution of 300 by 300 dpi.
Fonts are as follows:

	Built-in:	1 "data processing", 4 word processing,
			and 4 proportionally spaced.
	Downloadable:	available.

Software:
	QMSPLOT, a CalComp and Versaplot compatible plotting library,
	QTEX and QTEX80, DVI processors, QTROFF, and QDRIVE.

Each printer has the same 68000 based controller.  (again, QMS
is mentioned here.)

The talaris 800 == the qms 800.  Same for 1200 and 2400.

One drawback is that all that software mentioned above doesn't come
for free.  (Is this why they want you to buy a printer from a software
company?)  At any rate, they were wanting $2000+ for QTROFF, and
$2000+ for QTEX (which also required QTROFF, bringing the price to
over $4000).

>From david Thu Nov  8 21:03:35 1984
>To: +laser.printers
>Subject: Imagen 8/300

From their scam sheets:

300 dpi resolution.
8 pages per minute.
Paper sizes are "letter", "legal", "A4", and "B5".
The trays hold up to 100 sheets.
Controller is a Multi-bus based 68000.
Half a meg memory comes standard, it can be expanded up to 2 megs.
It fits on a table top and weighs 90 pounds.

Merged text and graphics. (mentions something called "imPRESS" which
is a page layout and description language for typesetting and graphics).
Other programs are "Daisy" for daisy wheel emulation, "Tektronix" for
guess what, "Printer" for a line printer emulation, and "Screen dump"
for bit-mapped graphics.

Can be connected to RS-232, RS-423, Centronics parallel,
Ethernet (TCP/IP), and IBM 2780/3780.

They support Scribe, DI-troff, troff, TeX, and others.
Polygon outlines and texture-fill, lines, vectors, circles,
ellipses, and bitmaps.
Can generate forms as well.

Nationwide service available.  Firmware maintenance.  Dial-in
service for problems and questions.

IMAGEN Corporation
Sales Department
2650 San Tomas Expressway
Santa Clara, CA  5052-8101
(408) 986-9400

From talking to the sales person:

Supports troff and ditroff with a converter program (to imPRESS).
The ditroff program is $750.
RS-232 runs at 19.2 kbaud or 9600 baud.
Memory options:

	+ 1/4 meg	$1000
	+ 1/2 meg	$1694
	+ 3/4 meg	$2295

5% discount for university's.
Service will be through WKM Associates in Cincinnati and Dayton,
Carnegie-Mellon has some Imagen's.

--------------------------------------
Call again 30-Nov-84:

Service contract approximately $125 /month + possible travel charges.
WKM associates will do it.
$100 per toner cartridge for 3000-4000 pages of printing.
only software charge is for ditroff $750

The floppy disk that comes with it is used for software instead of
sending out ROM's.  The claim is that this makes it easier to make
software updates.  It is certainly a little cheaper (a floppy is
cheaper than an EPROM isn't it?).  It also allows for some customization
though it isn't clear they will customize the built-in software.  They
also claim to be looking in to using the disk (or possibly another floppy
or adding a winchester) to store a font library.

-----------------------------------
They sent us a HUGE packet of manuals, full of specific information.
The manual itself is very complete and readable.  Probably the best
equipment manual I have ever seen.  It gives exact escape sequences
and exact results of them.  What more could one want.  It is a good
sign too that they sent us these manuals.

David Herron			Arpa:	"ukma!david"@ANL-MCS
	unmvax----\     /------- Arpa-Net
	research   >---/----------------/----------- anlams!ukma!david
	boulder---/   decvax!ucbvax ---/   (or cbosgd!hasmed!qusavx!ukma!david)

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (12/06/84)

	Thanks for the survey.
	You decide against the QMS because Imagen sent you a programming
manual ? Oh well... Just to let you know, the QMS also comes with a
reasonable programming manual...

	Does anyone know much about a QMS in the $4500 range ? Is it
also capable of bitmapped graphics ?

					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					Dept. Neurobiology