[comp.text] Wanted: Good Quality Cyrillic Laser Fonts

sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) (08/23/90)

I wonder if anyone could point me to a source of good quality Cyrillic
fonts downloading to my HP LaserJect II.  Ideally, I would like them in
the following styles: Times Roman, Helvetica, and italic variants of both.

In addition to using WordPerfect 5.1, I also have a program called LePrint
which uses scaleable master fonts, so such fonts for it would also be
useful.

Much thanks in advance for any suggestions.

---
   The QUESTOR PROJECT  -  FREE PUBLIC ACCESS USENET; AIDS & MED INFO
Internet: sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca    | POST:  1027 Davie Street, Box 486
Phones:  Voice/FAX:  +1 604 682-6659 |        Vancouver, British Columbia
         Data/BBS:   +1 604 681-0670 |        Canada  V6E 4L2

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) (08/23/90)

In article <25sBo1w162w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) writes:
>I wonder if anyone could point me to a source of good quality Cyrillic
>fonts downloading to my HP LaserJect II.  Ideally, I would like them in
>the following styles: Times Roman, Helvetica, and italic variants of both.

Hewlett-Packard offers just what you are describing. However, I am not
sure whether they are in fact selling them in North America; friends
of mine in Dallas actually bought them here in Vienna and had them
shipped to the US, since the various H-P 800-numbers seemed ignorant
about it. This was about six months ago, so H-P in the US and Canada
might know about it now.

If you cannot get it in North America, I might be able to arrange
getting them for you here; we'd have to discuss how to handle
payment.

--
Wolf N. Paul, Int. Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)
Schloss Laxenburg, Schlossplatz 1, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (08/24/90)

>sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) writes:
>>I wonder if anyone could point me to a source of good quality Cyrillic
>>fonts [for] downloading to my HP LaserJect II.

>wnp@iiasa.UUCP (wolf paul) writes:
>Hewlett-Packard offers just what you are describing.

You can also get some reasonable quality (as far as I can tell) ones
intended for use with TeX (see my posting about Metafont fonts in
comp.fonts and comp.text.tex).  These are Metafont files, and can thus be
used to make fonts at any size for many devices, if you have Metafont and
the necessary converter (pk2sfp for example).

I can mail you HP-format versions of the Washington Cyrillic, for example,
in various sizes.  You can probably also pick them up from mims-iris:
    ftp: mims-iris.waterloo.edu [129.97.129.116]  laser fonts & utilities
if you have anonymous ftp access.

Lee

--
Liam R. E. Quin,  lee@sq.com, {utai,utzoo}!sq!lee,  SoftQuad Inc., Toronto
Nicholas: [...]  The best/ Thing we can do is to make wherever we're lost in

DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (08/26/90)

A few months ago I got a big bunch of soft HP fonts from Mir publishers.
These were developed in the institute of polygaphy in moscow, and match tr,
helv, letter gothic, and tt, have regular, bold and italic, and come in
variety of point sizes.  Mir people have no objection to my giving them to
people, but I'm not sure about the original author. i sent them to someone
who posted them to Compu$serve.  I can't put them to LISTSERV@UBVM (where
the RUSTEX-L directory has a lot of stuff related to Cyrillic text
processing, including list archives) because they're so huge --- after
archiving and uuencoding they take 600K, and we're not supposed to send over
100K over BITNET, I think.  If someone can figure out a way to put these
fonts on mims-iris or some other archive, I'd like to hear.

Dimitri Vulis
Administrator of RusTeX-L, Russian TeX and Cyrillic text processing list