[comp.text] Bugs in SGML standard

scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) (09/03/90)

In article <582@helios.prosys.se>, ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) writes:
> Is there any list of these errors, etc floating around? It would
> probably be a help to the readers of comp.text.sgml to have one
> around. Alternatively, can we compile one? I'm thinking of sending
> the CON and CTX questions to ISO for formal interpretation. A list
> of bugs in the standard might provide sufficient reason to revise
> it.

I haven't seen any official list, although I have seen a very nice
paper written by someone at Ohio State University (I think) that
pointed out most of the problems I was aware of.  I'll see if I
can dig out a copy and post some or all of it.  If not, I'd be
glad to try to remember the problems, but it's been a couple of
years since I worked on an SGML parser so my memory is apt to be
a bit faulty.
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@thor.UUCP
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
Temporary insanity!  That's all it was! -- Calvin

djbpitt@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David J Birnbaum) (09/04/90)

In article <582@helios.prosys.se>, ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) writes:
> Is there any list of these errors, etc floating around? It would
> probably be a help to the readers of comp.text.sgml to have one ...
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Does comp.text.sgml exist?  I read the above posting in comp.text and
my system doesn't know about any comp.text.sgml group.  Should I bug
my system manager about it?  Is it a group that is being planned but
hasn't started yet?  Is this a typo for comp.text?

Thanks,

David
David J. Birnbaum
djb@wjh12.harvard.edu [Internet]
djb@harvunxw.bitnet   [Bitnet]

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (09/05/90)

In article <34699@unix.cis.pitt.edu> djbpitt@unix.cis.pitt.edu (David J Birnbaum) writes:

   Does comp.text.sgml exist?  I read the above posting in comp.text and
   my system doesn't know about any comp.text.sgml group.  Should I bug
   my system manager about it?  Is it a group that is being planned but
   hasn't started yet?

It is a group which has passed the usenet voting procedure but hasn't
yet been created -- there's a prescribed waiting period of a few days
to let anyone object etc.  The annoucement really should hit
"news.announce.newgroups" first before the group is created.

--Ed