[comp.text] Looking for hp->ps converter

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) (08/28/90)

Does anyone know if there is an hp->ps filter available either as a
product or in the public domain?  If so, could you please mail me any
information you might know.  I'll summarize any and all responses.

Thanks in advance,

--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

dig@peritek.UUCP (Dave Gotwisner) (09/08/90)

In article <Aug.27.12.39.59.1990.25918@turbo.bio.net>, lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) writes:
> Does anyone know if there is an hp->ps filter available either as a
> product or in the public domain?  If so, could you please mail me any
> information you might know.  I'll summarize any and all responses.

Yes there is (at least, I use it to convert my HPGL plotter output to a form
which can be sent to my postscript printer.  It does not do a perfect job, and
gives some warnings whenever I output things, but the pictures LOOK fine.

Try /usr/spool/ftp/postscript/hpgl-ps.Z from UUNET.
Dave Gotwisner					UUCP:  ...!unisoft!peritek!dig
Peritek Corporation				       ...!vsi1!peritek!dig
5550 Redwood Road
Oakland, CA 94619				Phone: 1-415-531-6500

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (09/13/90)

>In article <Aug.27.12.39.59.1990.25918@turbo.bio.net>, lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot) writes:
>> Does anyone know if there is an hp->ps filter available either as a
>> product or in the public domain?  If so, could you please mail me any
>> information you might know.  I'll summarize any and all responses.

I am not sure what you mean by "hp->ps" (is this HPGL (i.e. H.P.
graphics language) to PostScript, or H.P. PCL (i.e. LaserJet language)
to PostScript?).  In any event, I have written a program called
"lj2ps" which converts a subset of H.P. PCL to standard PostScript.
We have used it here for several months to emulate LaserJet Series II
printers with our Apple LaserWriter IINT's.  There have been no
problems in the past few months, so it is fairly stable.

lj2ps is limited in that it only emulates text-commands in PCL.
Graphics, macros, soft fonts, and some other features of PCL 4 are
missing.  However, lj2ps is written in portable C code and includes a
lot of hooks for the other missing functions (i.e. the scanner
*recognizes* all of the PCL commands, but the interpreter only
implements about half of them).  lj2ps is distributed under the
standard GNU license, and I welcome you (or anyone else out there) to
extend its functionality.

You can get lj2ps via anonymous ftp from:

	pokey.cs.wisc.edu		sun.soe.clarkson.edu

A mail server is also available at:

		archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

					.oO Chris Oo.

Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485  "Dad, don't give in to mob mentality!"
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene                                -- Bart Simpson
   lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu     "I'm not, Son.  I'm jumping on the bandwagon."
   uunet!uwvax!uwslh!lishka                                    -- Homer Simpson