[comp.text] Typesetting Tables on the UNIX system

ascott@gara.une.oz.au (Tony Scott STPG) (09/24/90)

 I have recieved unsolicited a flyer concerning a book about
typesetting tables within the UNIX system.

Since I am in Australia, I don't know how the company concerned,
TRILITHON PRESS, Los Altos Ca.
 got my address.

I would like to know if this company is a reputable one and if anyone
has actually seen the book concerned. The Title is the title of this
mail.

For the money they say the book costs It seems good value, but there
is no indication of the number of pages, only an outline of the
contents.

Thanks in advance.
regerds
Tony Scott ascott@gara.une.oz.au

ray@vantage.UUCP (Ray Liere) (09/25/90)

> Subject: Typesetting Tables on the UNIX system
> 	.
> 	.
> 	.
> I would like to know if this company is a reputable one and if anyone
> has actually seen the book concerned. The Title is the title of this
> mail.

We have purchased the book, and I feel it is excellent. It is 280+ pages,
and contains a very thorough tutorial on the use of tbl for typesetting
tables. I feel that it is clearly written. It has lots of examples (which
I find extremely helpful. The lack of meaningful/useful/non-toy examples in
many technical texts is one of the areas I feel verrry strongly about.
I feel that this book is definitely worth the price paid for it.
By the way, the table of contents is good -- actually useful as a post-reading
way to dive into the book for reference (versus the too-often used half-page
list of chapter titles).

Ray Liere
Vantage Consulting and Research Corporation
voice: (503)657-7294
uucp: uunet!nwnexus.WA.COM!vantage!ray
       -or-
      uunet!nwnexus!vantage!ray
       -or-
      hplabs!hpubvwa!hpupora!vantage!ray
Internet: ray%vantage@nwnexus.WA.COM

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (09/25/90)

[sorry if you see this twice -- we seem to have a C-news config error...]

ascott@gara.une.oz.au (Tony Scott STPG) writes:
> I have recieved unsolicited a flyer concerning a book about
>typesetting tables within the UNIX system.
>
>I would like to know if [the publisher] is a reputable one and if anyone
>has actually seen the book concerned. The Title is the title of this mail.

I have a copy of the book.  It's by Henry McGilton and Mary McNabb.
It's also by far the best reference on tbl I have ever seen.  Now, you
might well wonder whether you _want_ some 280+ pages about typesetting
tables, but if this is something you do, the book certainly seems worth it
to me.  I might even go so far as to say that most troff users should at
least have access to a copy.

There are lots of well-thought-out examples, and the book gets as complex as
tables that include diagrams generated with pic and eqn (and diagrams with
tables within them), but does so very gently.

If I were to make a single criticism of the book, it would be that perhaps
it goes a little _too_ gently in places, but I've been using nroff/troff/tbl
for some eight or more years now, so perhaps that's unfair.  Oh, and it
doesn't talk very much about the proprietary versions (Elan, SoftQuad,
Xroff, etc) of DWB very much.  But I'm a little biased there :-)

The full address is
    Trilithon Press,
    333 State Street, Suite 106,
    Los Altos,
    California 94022
and the price in the order form at the back of the book is $20 per copy, with
$2.40 shipping and handling, although I expect that your local bookshop could
order it just as easily.  The ISBN is 0-9626289-0-5 and it's dated 1990.

I have no connection with Trilithon Press, if anyone cares.

Lee

--
Liam R. E. Quin,  lee@sq.com, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, +1 (416) 963-8337
"[...] you cannot sustain adult, probing, meaningful drama when the proceedings

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (09/25/90)

In article <3863@gara.une.oz.au>, ascott@gara.une.oz.au (Tony Scott STPG) writes:
>  I have recieved unsolicited a flyer concerning a book about
> typesetting tables within the UNIX system.
>
> Since I am in Australia, I don't know how the company concerned,
> TRILITHON PRESS, Los Altos Ca.
>  got my address.
>
> I would like to know if this company is a reputable one and if anyone
> has actually seen the book concerned. The Title is the title of this
> mail.
>
> For the money they say the book costs It seems good value, but there
> is no indication of the number of pages, only an outline of the
> contents.

I just received a review copy of this book.  (We get lots of stuff like
this as we publish a series of pocket-sized references and tutorials for
UNIX.)  The authors are Henry McGilton and Mary McNabb.  Henry has written
other books on UNIX that are considered excellent.

I haven't had time to read all of _Typesetting Tables on the UNIX System_
but from what I have looked at it appears to be very well done.  It starts
from the basics and covers everything imaginable about tbl.  Too bad
this book didn't exist when I was discovering how to use tbl about 8 years
ago. :-)

Its 282 pages.  And, of course, has lots of tables in it.  The ISBN is
0-9626289-0-5, cover price is $20.  If you can't find it in a bookstore,
it is available from the publisher, Trilithon Press, 334 State Street,
Suite 106, Los Altos, CA 94022.  $2.40 shipping & handling (domestic
I assume) plus $1.40 tax for California residents.

Anyway, consider this a plug for Henry's work.  If you want to know how
to use tbl, this is the book for you.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385