[comp.text] HPLaserJetII

rcpt@rw7.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) (10/10/90)

I would like to know how a HPLaserJetII(I) printer can be connected to a
UNIX machine so that troff (and ASCII) files can be printed easily. Are
there (PD?) filters to convert old-troff and di-troff output to PCL
(the code wanted by the HPLasetJetII(I))?

Any (pointers to) solutions/suggestions are welcome,

--Piet

uucp:   rcpt@urc.tue.nl       | Piet Tutelaers        Room  RC 1.82
bitnet: rcpt@heithe5.BITNET   | Eindhoven University of  Technology
phone:  +31 (0)40 474541      | P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, NL

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (10/12/90)

In article <100@rc6.urc.tue.nl> rcpt@urc.tue.nl writes:
>I would like to know how a HPLaserJetII(I) printer can be connected to a
>UNIX machine so that troff (and ASCII) files can be printed easily. Are
>there (PD?) filters to convert old-troff and di-troff output to PCL
>(the code wanted by the HPLasetJetII(I))?

jetroff from PC Research, will generate HPPCL from ditroff.  A shareware
version was posted to comp.sources.unix about 2 years back.  It can
use both HP SFP and TeX PK font files.  For information on the non-shareware
version, contact Rick Richardson (uunet!pcrat!rick) for more information.
This is a very good package.  The non-shareware version's price is extremely
reasonable.  I recommend it highly.

Psroff 2.0 will generate HPPCL or Postscript or ditroff from old-troff
(CAT troff) and is free.  It will work with HP SFP and TeX PK font files
too.  It is available by anon ftp via:

	- gatekeeper.dec.com (16.1.0.2) as anonymous,
	  file /pub/misc/psroff-2.0.tar.Z,
	  courtesy Paul Vixie (vixie@wrl.dec.com)
	- cs.toronto.edu as anonymous,
	  file pub/psroff.tar.Z,
	  pub/psroff.patch[1-2].Z,
	  courtesy Mark Moraes (moraes@cs.toronto.edu)

It's also in the queue to go out on comp.sources.unix.  I recommend
it highly (after all, I wrote it ;-) too.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: TBA
UUCP: uunet!utai!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (10/16/90)

DWB 3.1 comes by default with a PostScript postprocessor, dpost.
You can also get postprocessors for Imagen's Impress (dimpress),
xerox 9700 (dx9700) and H-P LaserJet (dpcl), but I believe
you have to ask for them specifically. Reason is, these guys
require bitmap font which are huge, and so make the whole package
several times larger.