[comp.text] DWB 3.1 - one more try

rstevens@pluto.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Rich Stevens) (10/16/90)

Since I didn't get any responses, I assume that *no one* currently
has any plans to offer a product based on DWB 3.1 ?  This means that
anyone wanting the new features in DWB 3.1 has to purchase the source ?

	Richard Stevens

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.130044.29482@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, rstevens@pluto.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Rich Stevens) writes:
> Since I didn't get any responses, I assume that *no one* currently
> has any plans to offer a product based on DWB 3.1 ?  This means that
> anyone wanting the new features in DWB 3.1 has to purchase the source ?
>
> 	Richard Stevens

I've been working with AT&T (strange world, isn't it?) to
distribute binaries of DWB 3.1 for their product line:
6386 (PC-style), 3B2/x00 and System 7000 (Pyramid).
We've already tried DWB 3.1 on all these machines, so the
only obstacle is distribution and the 800 number for support.

I've been unable to connect with SUN, although they have
shown an interest. A few very small VARs have either bought
or are making plans to buy 3.1 (so they tell me) but it
would be improper to disclose who.

Perhaps if you have a machine for which you would like
DWB 3.1 binaries, send me the name of the manufacturer
and I can contact them and try to get them interested.
For small VARs it gets expensive to maintain a testbed of
50 different processors (I've got a CRAY X-MP myself to
check out DWB but I don't think SoftQuad does), so the
best bet is to convince MIPS, Sun, HP, etc. to issue it.

hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct17.132505.1770@cbnewsl.att.com>, npn@cbnewsl (nils-peter.nelson) writes:
>Perhaps if you have a machine for which you would like
>DWB 3.1 binaries, send me the name of the manufacturer
>and I can contact them and try to get them interested.
>For small VARs it gets expensive to maintain a testbed of
>50 different processors (I've got a CRAY X-MP myself to
>check out DWB but I don't think SoftQuad does), so the
>best bet is to convince MIPS, Sun, HP, etc. to issue it.

Do you know the University source license cost?
g.
George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU           ..!ncar!boulder!hartzell

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (10/23/90)

I missed the start of this discussion. Can anyone briefly describe what
3.1 has that DWB 2 doesn't?

Is it more than bug fixes?

--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {rutgers,gatech}!emory!km    UUCP