[comp.text] ascii text in MS Word 4.00B

banko@lisboa.ks.uiuc.edu (Brad Banko) (11/01/90)

Does anybody know why MS word opens text files in the default font
of New York 12 point?  I find that Courier 10 pt is more compatible
with 80 column standard text files.
Is there a way to change this?
thanks.

--
Bradley T Banko
Theoretical Biophysics, Beckman Institute

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.194944.15809@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> banko@lisboa.ks.uiuc.edu
(Brad Banko) asks:

>Does anybody know why MS word opens text files in the default font
>of New York 12 point?  I find that Courier 10 pt is more compatible
>with 80 column standard text files.
>Is there a way to change this?

It's quite easy to change the default font in Word 4.0x.

* From the Format menu choose Define Styles...
* Click on the style called Normal. The definition below the box will say
  "New York, 12 points," or something like that.
* From the Font menu, choose your preferred font and size (I'm reserving
  comments about Courier... :-)  Your changes should appear in the definition
  below the style-name box.
* Click on the Set Default button. (Tolja this was easy.) A dialog box will
  ask you to confirm the change to the default style sheet. OK it, then
  close the Define Styles box.

You will now have your font of choice as default for any new Word document,
which includes text (ASCII) documents opened from within Word.  This and other
changes to Word's defaults are stored in a file called "Word Settings (4)"
which usually resides in the System Folder.

--Kathy

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
   Kathy Strong               :  "Welcome to FUBAR Corp., where there's
  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   never enough time to do a job right,
   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :   but always enough time to do it over."

typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Mr John Wilkins) (11/02/90)

banko@lisboa.ks.uiuc.edu (Brad Banko) writes:

>Does anybody know why MS word opens text files in the default font
>of New York 12 point?  I find that Courier 10 pt is more compatible
>with 80 column standard text files.
>Is there a way to change this?
>thanks.

>--
>Bradley T Banko

Yes: just edit your Normal style in a dummy document and click on default
when you have the font and para formats you want.

John Wilkins, Manager, Publications Services
Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
Postal Address: PO Box 197, Caulfield East, Victoria 3145 AUSTRALIA
Tel: +613 573 2099; Fax: +613 573 2729
Internet: john@publications.ccc.monash.edu.au
disclaimer:  All standard disclaimers apply.
             All non-standard disclaimers apply.
             All truly bizarre disclaimers apply.
"There is nothing either good or evil | but thinking makes it so"