[comp.text] Framemaker vs. Troff

rr2g@rhonda.ce.Virginia.EDU (Rhonda Gaines) (11/08/90)

We're in a possible transition phase from troff
to framemaker.  Obviously before we make the purchase we want to
have as many questions answered as possible.  Which brings me to the
point of this posting.  Currently the way we
process equations is with troff/eqn.  We have a separate file with
nothing but troff equation definitions ranging from sigma subscript
x to huge matrices that when printed comes to about 20 pages.  Our
normal procedure is to write the troff file using $$ delimeters and put
in the definition name (not the definition itself) for the equation we
want to use.  Can this or a similar (easy) form be done using
framemaker? Or do you have to cut and paste from another document.

 -thanks

--
Rhonda Gaines                   |   University of Virginia
phone:  804-924-6265            |   Thornton Hall

kim@Software.Mitel.com (Kim Letkeman) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.192715.2786@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> rr2g@rhonda.ce.Virginia.EDU (Rhonda Gaines) writes:

| We have a separate file with nothing but troff equation definitions
| ranging from sigma subscript x to huge matrices that when printed
| comes to about 20 pages.  Our normal procedure is to write the troff
| file using $$ delimeters and put in the definition name (not the
| definition itself) for the equation we want to use.  Can this or a
| similar (easy) form be done using framemaker? Or do you have to cut
| and paste from another document.

One method that would be fairly easy to use would be to create a
directory filled with documents that contain a single equation. Frame
lets you import a document fairly easily (using a pick menu), and it
can import by copying or by reference, so you can save on storage if
you are certain your equation location will not vary.

Cutting and pasteing is a pretty good option as well, considering how
much clip art uses that technique. (Frame makes it quite easy to cut
and paste multi-page entities because the page automatically scrolls
as you drag the mouse with the select button down.)

Kim
--
Kim Letkeman	kim@software.mitel.com
		uunet!mitel!spock!kim

lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.192715.2786@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> rr2g@rhonda.ce.Virginia.EDU (Rhonda Gaines) writes:

>We're in a possible transition phase from troff
>to framemaker. ...
>...  We have a separate file with
>nothing but troff equation definitions ranging from sigma subscript
>...normal procedure is to write the troff file using $$ delimeters and put
>in the definition name (not the definition itself) for the equation we
>want to use.  Can this or a similar (easy) form be done using
>framemaker? Or do you have to cut and paste from another document.

FrameMaker supports live links to other sources, including SQL database
info.  There would be no need to cut and paste.  Of course, you have to
build a database or something.  FrameMaker's equation formatter is remarkable,
and can dynamically solve equations using values linked to equation elements
from other source files.  Naturally, you will have to build equations that
FrameMaker recognizes, not eqn format.

FrameMaker also supports macro replacement in source files, so you can plug in
a macro definition file that is read before the file you want to format,
substituting values you want for the macro that is there.  I don't know yet
how extensive or powerful this substitution feature is... Perhaps it can
substitute an equation for the macro?

I'd certainly call Frame to find out about what you want.  They have reason to
be proud of their equation facility.

(We too are in possible/probable transition to FrameMaker, in part because of
the equation facility, and in part because of online documentation tools.)

-lar