[comp.text] dvi2ps

jzavgren@bbn.com (John Zavgren) (09/09/88)

I just acquired a new version of dvi2ps that allegedly understands
"\specials", and let me stuff figures into TeX documents via, for
example psfig. I edited the paths in the Makefile and compiled it.

When I run the program it tries to open nonexistent font files that have
rather odd-sounding names, for example, amsy10.1000. Frankly, I'm
stymied. Can anyone tell me what going on?

RSVP
John Zavgren, jzavgren@bbn.com

jzavgren@bbn.com (John Zavgren) (09/09/88)

I just acquired a new version of dvi2ps that allegedly understands
"\specials", and will let me stuff postscript files into TeX
documents via, for example psfig. I edited the paths in the Makefile
and compiled it.

When I run the program it tries to open nonexistent font files that have
rather odd-sounding names, for example, amsy10.1000. Frankly, I'm
stymied. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

ehrlich@blitz (Dan Ehrlich) (09/10/88)

In article <29488@bbn.COM> jzavgren@bbn.com (John Zavgren) writes:
>I just acquired a new version of dvi2ps that allegedly understands
>"\specials", and let me stuff figures into TeX documents via, for
>example psfig. I edited the paths in the Makefile and compiled it.
>
>When I run the program it tries to open nonexistent font files that have
>rather odd-sounding names, for example, amsy10.1000. Frankly, I'm
>stymied. Can anyone tell me what going on?

The am* font family are the American Mathematical Society fonts.  They are
available from AMS in Rhode Island.  If you don't want to spend any money
you should be able to change all of the references to the am fonts to the
freely distributed cm (Computer Modern) fonts that come with TeX.

>RSVP
>John Zavgren, jzavgren@bbn.com

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@blitz.cs.psu.edu> | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are
The Pennsylvania State University      | my own, and should not be attributed
Department of Computer Science         | to anyone else, living or dead.
University Park, PA   16802            |

weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU (Joe Weening) (09/10/88)

In article <3909@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu>, ehrlich@blitz (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>In article <29488@bbn.COM> jzavgren@bbn.com (John Zavgren) writes:
>>When I run [dvi2ps] it tries to open nonexistent font files that have
>>rather odd-sounding names, for example, amsy10.1000. Frankly, I'm
>>stymied. Can anyone tell me what going on?
>
>The am* font family are the American Mathematical Society fonts.  They are
>available from AMS in Rhode Island.  If you don't want to spend any money
>you should be able to change all of the references to the am fonts to the
>freely distributed cm (Computer Modern) fonts that come with TeX.

Not quite right.  The AM fonts are the "Almost" Computer Modern fonts
produced by Don Knuth at Stanford in 1983 with the old version of
Metafont, as a stopgap until the real CM fonts were designed in
1985-86.  They have nothing to do with the AMS.  (You are probably
thinking of the MSXM, MSYM and Cyrillic fonts distributed by the AMS.)

It is true, though, that you can replace almost all AM fonts by the
corresponding fonts with CM names.  (There are about 4 or so
exceptions whose names were changed slightly.)  Many of the character
widths changed, however, so you cannot just substitute the fonts in an
existing DVI file; you should make the change in the TeX source and
run it through TeX again.

I hope that everyone who is still using AM fonts for any purpose will
find the time to convert as soon as possible.  The AM fonts are
obsolete and were never intended to last beyond 1986.  (Though the
script letters in AMSY10 do look better than CMSY10, I must agree.)
--
Joe Weening                                Computer Science Dept.
weening@Gang-of-Four.Stanford.EDU          Stanford University

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Donald Hosek) (09/18/88)

In article <3909@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@blitz (Dan Ehrlich) writes:
>The am* font family are the American Mathematical Society fonts.  They are
>available from AMS in Rhode Island.  If you don't want to spend any money
>you should be able to change all of the references to the am fonts to the
>freely distributed cm (Computer Modern) fonts that come with TeX.

The am fonts are not AMS fonte. The AMS wants nothing to do with these fonts.
am stands for almost modern, the predecessor to TeX's computer modern. I'm
not sure why your driver is looking for these fonts, but it seems to me to
be one of two things: (1) your TeX is hopelessly out of date and still uses
the old am fonts and the paths that you have for fonts don't match what the
driver wants, or (2) the driver has hard-coded into it the am fonts for
some reason (perhaps some font substitution mechanism). Don't bother the
AMS asking for am fonts. They might still have them, but they won't
distribute them.

-dh

Do you know my preferred e-mail address yet?

   DHOSEK@YMIR.BITNET or dhosek@ymir.claremont.edu

jzavgren@bbn.com (John Zavgren) (10/01/88)

I just received a message (I have since thrown it out) from

vemula@gondor.cs.psu.edu

for help with dvi2ps. I would like to reply but the host name
is not in my host table. Can the author of this message help
me out? Or better yet, can someone tell me how to translate "arcane"
host names into internet addresses.

RSVP
John Zavgren

aff@ece-csc.UUCP (Alice F. Forgety) (04/18/89)

I apologize for repeating this question.  However,
I'm really stumped and desparate!   Consider this
scenario.  We're using:
	TeX under Ultrix,
	the dvi2ps driver in tex82/mitdrivers/dvi2ps
	a LaserWriter.

Psfig refuses to operate in this setting. It uses
\special commands that are not supported by dvi2ps.
(Apparently, the ArborTeX dvi2ps was psfig's model.)
What can I do?
	-- Modify dvi2ps (suggested references?)
	-- Change psfig.tex
	-- ?????

Please e-mail responses to mcnc!lord!maw (this is
my wife's account, i.e., aff@ece-csc).

Thanks,
	Mark Ward		home (919) 828-6319
	P.O. Box 8225		work (919) 469-3443
	Lord Corporation		   x240
	Cary, NC 27512

chrisc@itd.dsto.oz (Chris Clarkson) (06/10/89)

Does anyone have a version of dvi2ps that supports pk format fonts?
I have a version which supports pxl and gf but not pk. I need it
fairly rapidly so paying for tapes from the US is fine by me.
Please reply by mail to the above address (tack .au on the end if needed)

Chris Clarskon

frank@amd.com (11/22/89)

I'm sure it's been asked for before, BUT...

    Where can I get a dvi to PostScript filter for a SparcStation?

--

Frank Gorishek	Advanced Processor Development		frank@AMD.COM
		Advanced Micro Devices			(512) 462-4117

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (12/02/89)

I am trying to get dvi2ps to work with our apple laser writers.
The problem that I am experiencing is STRANGE font
substitutions- usually math italic for cmr12, there are also
very bad (unusual-unreasonable) substitutions with cmbx10,
cmr17, cmr6, cmr7, cmr8, ....

Where should I start looking?
Thanks in advance.

|Mike Whitbeck             |                              |
|Desert Research Inst.     | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |
|POB 60220                 |                              |
|RENO, NV 89506            | 702-673-7348                 |
|__________________________|______________________________|

Any simple problem can be made insoluble if enough committee
meetings are held to discuss it.

little@odin.ucsd.edu (Glenn Little) (11/09/90)

  We are currently running a fairly old dvi2ps program.  I am
  looking for the latest available via ftp.  We need support for
  Trevor Darrell's psfig, printer-resident postscript fonts, pk
  fonts, and tpic would be nice.  I would hope that there would be
  one that was an updated version or compatible with the one we
  currently have.  The README has "Van Jacobson" at the bottom,
  and a date of December 1987.  Are there any that generate
  conformant postscript?  That's the problem with the current one
  we have.

  Thanks for any pointers.

		Glenn Little
		little%cs@ucsd.edu
		glittle@ucsd.edu

jansteen@cwi.nl (Jan van der Steen) (11/09/90)

little@odin.ucsd.edu (Glenn Little) writes:

>  We are currently running a fairly old dvi2ps program.  I am
>  looking for the latest available via ftp.  We need support for
>  Trevor Darrell's psfig, printer-resident postscript fonts, pk
>  fonts, and tpic would be nice.  I would hope that there would be
>  one that was an updated version or compatible with the one we
>  currently have.  The README has "Van Jacobson" at the bottom,
>  and a date of December 1987.  Are there any that generate
>  conformant postscript?  That's the problem with the current one
>  we have.

>  Thanks for any pointers.

>		Glenn Little
>		little%cs@ucsd.edu
>		glittle@ucsd.edu

You should get dvips from labrea.stanford.edu.
This PostScript driver has all the options you want and more.
The PostScript files generated by dvips don't give problems on
any of the 6 different PostScript devices/interpreters in my company.

BTW
There is a seperate newsgroup for tex: "comp.text.tex". Amongst others
this newsgroup features a monthly "frequently asked questions" posting.

	Jan van der Steen

     Jan van der Steen                 jansteen@cwi.nl
     Centre for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)