[comp.text] what fonts allowed in troff .ft command?

pjs@euclid.jpl.nasa.gov (Peter Scott) (10/30/90)

Our n|troff manual says that the permissible letters for a
.ft <font> command are R, I, B, or S; yet I have received a
file that uses .ft C quite happily; I believe it means Courier.
How can I find out what letters are allowed on my system for
this command?

--
This is news.  This is your       |    Peter Scott, NASA/JPL/Caltech
brain on news.  Any questions?    |    (pjs@euclid.jpl.nasa.gov)

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct29.200132.26513@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>, pjs@euclid.jpl.nasa.gov (Peter Scott) writes:
> Our n|troff manual says that the permissible letters for a
> .ft <font> command are R, I, B, or S; yet I have received a
> file that uses .ft C quite happily; I believe it means Courier.
> How can I find out what letters are allowed on my system for
> this command?

On most systems, /usr/lib/font is a directory organized by device
type. In DWB 3.1, /usr/lib/font/devpost contains files for the
various postscript fonts. These are readable ascii files (unlike
DWB 2.0) and the first two lines contain the short name (e.g C)
and the long name (e.g. Courier). To get all the names:
	sed '/fontname/p' /usr/lib/font/devpost/*
produces
fontname AvantGarde-Demi
fontname AvantGarde-BookOblique
fontname AvantGarde-Book
fontname AvantGarde-DemiOblique
fontname Times-Bold
fontname Times-BoldItalic
fontname Courier
fontname Courier-Bold
(35 in all).
If you can't find the font directory, the following gimmick will work:
$ troff    { read troff input from stdin }
.ft Q	{ load a font that doesn't exist }
troff: Can't open font file /usr/lib/font/devpost/Q; line 1, file stdin

The error message tells you where the fonts are on your system.

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct29.200132.26513@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov>, pjs@euclid.jpl.nasa.gov (Peter Scott) writes:

    *  Our n|troff manual says that the permissible letters
    *  for a .ft <font> command are R, I, B, or S; yet I have
    *  received a file that uses .ft C quite happily; I
    *  believe it means Courier.  How can I find out what
    *  letters are allowed on my system for this command?

Whose n|troff manual are you reading?

You can use any one-letter or two-letter combinations you
like for the names of fonts.

Generally, you have the problem of mapping real world font names
to one or two letter combinations.  Some typical combinations
I've seen are:

	H	Helvetica
	HI	Helvetica Italic
	HB	Helvetica Bold
	PA	Palatino
	PI	Palatino Italic
	PB	Palatino Bold
	PX	Palatino Bold Italic
	ZC	Zapf Chancery
and so on.

	........  Henry

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (11/10/90)

<
[...]

All of this is well and good, only if your system has the fonts in a spot
where they can be gotten at.  This is site dependent.  See your system
administrator for documentation as to what your system has.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\        spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown