[comp.text] pk version of am fonts for tex

merrill@kenmore.bu.edu (John Merrill) (11/13/90)

My problem:

At our site are many megabytes of papers (including hand-generated
indexes and tables of contents) which were produced using the AM
(Almost Modern) fonts.  These files need to be maintained (in case new
copies are to be produced for republication, e.g.)  The idea of
reformating them (and regenerating the indexes and other references)
nauseates me.

And the am fonts, of course, are not "supported" any more.  I am
gradually shifting my site over to cm, which will take care of future
problems, but, in the meantime, I need to support AM.  The current
means by which I maintain backwards compatibility is to use an
out-of-date distribution maintained on another system working through
a printer which will probably soon fail.  I would like to get ahold of
a description of the AM fonts in either gf or pk---or, best of all,
mf---format, so that I can at the very least not need the broken
printer.

Does anybody still have a copy I could get?

--
John Merrill / merrill@bucasb.bu.edu / harvard!bu.edu!bucasb!merrill

teexdwu@ioe.lon.ac.uk (DOMINIK WUJASTYK) (11/15/90)

In article <MERRILL.90Nov13105240@kenmore.bu.edu> merrill@kenmore.bu.edu (John Merrill) writes:
>My problem:
>
>problems, but, in the meantime, I need to support AM.  The current
>means by which I maintain backwards compatibility is to use an
>out-of-date distribution maintained on another system working through
>a printer which will probably soon fail.  I would like to get ahold of
>a description of the AM fonts in either gf or pk---or, best of all,
>mf---format, so that I can at the very least not need the broken
>printer.

The AM Mf files probably wouldn't compile under the current MF anyway.

There are two ways forward: get hold of the AM PK and TFM files
at the right resolution for your future printer -- say 300 dpi --
and just use those until kingdom come.  I don't know where the
AM fonts are to be found these days, but they are bound to be available
somewhere.  Have you tried the TeX Users Group?

Secondly, you could keep your AM TFM files, but use CM PK files.  Then
you would need a DVI driver that can be told to read character
widths from TFM files, not from the PK files.  I believe that the
DVI drivers from Personal TeX Inc. can do this (it's part of their
"font substitution" capability, I seem to recall).  Another way
round would be to use a driver where you can say something like
"for am* read cm*" so that it will go and get the CM bitmaps
instead of the AM ones.  The differences are not so great as to
create serious problems.

Dominik