[comp.text] troff on non-laser printers

stickler@rc.nokia.fi (Patrick Stickler RC 910) (11/12/90)

Does anyone know if troff (and not merely nroff) can be used with
any inexpensive dot-matrix or ink jet printers? The particular
printers that I have in mind are the HP Deskjet or Cannon BJ-10e.
What sort of graphics emulation is necessary to get 'reasonable'
output? Epson FX, IBM Proprinter (X-24E)...? Can the HP Deskjet
emulate an HP Laserjet?

Please no suggestions to use some other typesetting software (e.g.
TeX). I have to use troff and need some inexpensive way to get
'local' draft copies of documents. I need 'true' troff output - the
differences between nroff and troff are too great.

If anyone has had experience with using troff on a non-laser printer,
I would *very* much appreciate any advice you could offer.

Thanks,

 Patrick Stickler  Nokia Research Center    stickler@rc.nokia.fi
  (BIX:stickler)   University of Helsinki   stickler@hylka.helsinki.fi

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (11/13/90)

In article <294@pepper.rc.nokia.fi>, stickler@rc.nokia.fi (Patrick Stickler RC 910) writes:
> Does anyone know if troff (and not merely nroff) can be used with
> any inexpensive dot-matrix or ink jet printers? The particular
> printers that I have in mind are the HP Deskjet or Cannon BJ-10e.
> What sort of graphics emulation is necessary to get 'reasonable'
> output? Epson FX, IBM Proprinter (X-24E)...? Can the HP Deskjet
> emulate an HP Laserjet?

We (troff supporters) used to put a lot of effort into this,
but the testing just got out of hand.  If you can imagine, say,
making a change to tbl, then testing on nroff and troff for
PostScript, Epson, ProPrinter, LaserJet, DeskJet, APS, etc.
on each of SunOS, BSD, System 5.2, System 5.3, System 5.4, UTS,
(get the picture?)
We have pretty well dropped support for everything except
PostScript, although we do offer a rudimentary PCL (LaserJet),
Impress (Imagen) and Xerox (X9700) package. Yes, DeskJet is
annoyingly different from LaserJet, and for no good reason.

If you are doing this to "save money" you may well be spending
more money on hard disks on your host to store bitmaps than
you are saving on the printer (PostScript doesn't need bitmap
files).
Certainly, anyone with a DWB source license is welcome to take
any of the postprocessors we provide (e.g., dpcl) and modify
it to act as a translator from troff output to whatever your
printer thinks it needs.
As a business case, any one who objects to spending $2,000 to
buy a good printer is unlikely to pay much for the software
to support a dot matrix device. Perhaps the Free Software
Folks will oblige, but my message is: don't count on the
marketplace to solve this one.

We are even recommending all the internal AT&T LaserJet owners
upgrade to PostScript via the new Adobe cartridge.
My personal opinion is that to get "'reasonable' output" on
most of the devices mentioned you would have to ingest large
quantities of perception-altering substances.

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/14/90)

In article <294@pepper.rc.nokia.fi> stickler@rc.nokia.fi (Patrick Stickler RC 910) writes:
>Does anyone know if troff (and not merely nroff) can be used with
>any inexpensive dot-matrix or ink jet printers? The particular
>printers that I have in mind are the HP Deskjet or Cannon BJ-10e.
>What sort of graphics emulation is necessary to get 'reasonable'
>output? Epson FX, IBM Proprinter (X-24E)...? Can the HP Deskjet
>emulate an HP Laserjet?

My understanding is that a Deskjet is moderately similar to the Laserjet
except that font downloading is completely different.

It is also my understanding that Psroff will work with *old* (CAT) troff
and generate codes that are more-or-less useable on the Deskjet using
the HPLJ code, however, the font downloading facilities of psroff won't
work.

I've finally given up on c.s.u and c.s.m for posting psroff - wait for
it in alt.sources.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: TBA
UUCP: uunet!utai!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

ttl@sti.fi (Timo Lehtinen) (11/16/90)

I think Nils-Peter is right in that the cost savings in using a
dot-matrix printer or similar raw bitmap device are easily lost in
added costs for disk storage and slower printing times due to dumping
the bitmaps to printers over slow lines. Ensuring that files are only
stored in troff source form or using compress(1) can help on the
storage problem, but then again that will put a heavier load on the CPU.

However, I can see two justifications for troff output for bitmap
devices:

1.) The world is full of dot-matrix printers. It would seem that any ways
    to prevent them from becoming obsolete would be justified in this
    respect.

2.) Troff output is sometimes required not only for hardcopy but also for
    diplays, facsimile etc.   PostScript solutions to these are generally
    quite expensive !

Having said that...

We have a bitmap postprocessor for ditroff. It can handle troff graphics
as well as text. The font support in it is based on the Computer Modern
Typeface fonts. It actually outputs bitmaps in a generic format of a
PostScript image. That can then easily be filtered to a suitable output
format for the required bitmap device. If anyone's interested in this
send me mail.

Timo Lehtinen

--
       ____/ ___   ___/    /		Kivihaantie 8 C 25
      /           /       /		SF-00310 HELSINKI, Finland