[comp.text] American to English spelling

tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) (11/09/90)

Does anybody have an editor script to convert American spelling
(localize, color) to English spelling (localise, colour)?  I'd use
the term British instead of English, except that English spelling
is also the norm in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

Thanks in advance.

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (11/09/90)

In article <2402@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:
>Does anybody have an editor script to convert American spelling
>(localize, color) to English spelling (localise, colour)?  I'd use
>the term British instead of English, except that English spelling
>is also the norm in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

And the rest of the literate world.

It would be difficult to do this entirely in software.  How to handle
`tyre'/`tire'?  `Tire' is a perfectly good verb, but most Americans (mis)spell
`tyre' as `tire'.

Flames to `alt.flame.spelling'.

					--Scott

--
Scott Horne                               ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
horne@cs.Yale.edu      SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520

koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) (11/10/90)

In article <2402@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:
>Does anybody have an editor script to convert American spelling
>(localize, color) to English spelling (localise, colour)?  I'd use
>the term British instead of English, except that English spelling
>is also the norm in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

Actually, I've been given to understand that Canadian spelling has some
American elements.

Apart from the problem that Scott notes, I'd suggest using a correcting
spell checker.  To take the homograph problem into account, run it in
supervised mode.  If you can find a British spelling checker, you won't
have much problem getting started, apart from needing to prime it with
the homographs in your personal list.

lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) (11/10/90)

In article <2402@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:
>Does anybody have an editor script to convert American spelling
>(localize, color) to English spelling (localise, colour)?  I'd use

This is a non-trivial task, eh?  I don't have a good answer, but I understand that
FrameMaker International edition can set spelling to either US or UK, and then you
could run the spellchecker, telling it to globally replace.  You would have to make
a complete pass, I think, telling it once to go ahead for each word that needs to
be changed... I haven't seen the International edition, only heard it described.
a 1.5 Million word dictionary in beaucoup languages (with a UK/US switch)!

-lk

--
---------                             TIVOLI Systems, Inc.
Lar Kaufman      512-454-3301         (voice) 512-329-2455

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (11/10/90)

In article <5727@alpha.cam.nist.gov> koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) writes:
>In article <2402@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:
>>Does anybody have an editor script to convert American spelling
>>(localize, color) to English spelling (localise, colour)?  I'd use
>>the term British instead of English, except that English spelling
>>is also the norm in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.
>
>Actually, I've been given to understand that Canadian spelling has some
>American elements.

Yes, it does.  See, among other books, _The Story of English_ (and accompanying
BBC television series).

However, I just saw `programme' in reference to a computer program in a USENET
article which came from Canada.  What could this be, other than a misspelling?
`Program' meaning `computer program' is the standard spelling everywhere;
`programme' is the English/non-American spelling for the word in all its other
uses.

By the way, I'd like to apologise for the article I posted yesterday.  The
remark about "the rest of the literate world" or whatever was both unnecessary
and inaccurate.  Guess I'm overzealous with my pro-"correct"-spelling
propaganda....

					--Scott

--

In article <179@tivoli.UUCP> lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) writes:
>In article <2402@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:
<<Does anybody have an editor script to convert American spelling
<<(localize, color) to English spelling (localise, colour)?  I'd use
<
<This is a non-trivial task, eh?

Yes, for the reasons mentioned in my previous two articles.

>I don't have a good answer, but I understand that
<FrameMaker International edition can set spelling to either US or UK, and then you
<could run the spellchecker, telling it to globally replace.  You would have to make
<a complete pass, I think, telling it once to go ahead for each word that needs to
<be changed... I haven't seen the International edition, only heard it described.
<a 1.5 Million word dictionary in beaucoup languages (with a UK/US switch)!

Yes, but will it be able to figure out that `jail' is supposed to be `gaol'?

					--Scott

--
Scott Horne                               ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
horne@cs.Yale.edu      SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520
203 436-1817                    Residence:  Rm 1817 Silliman College, Yale Univ
Uneasy lies the head that wears the _gao1 mao4zi_.

lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) (11/11/90)

I tried checking "gaol" with FrameMaker 2.1's spelling checker, and it
accepted it.  Since I don't have the international edition, I cannot
say whether if I could have selected US spelling and have it reject "gaol".
That's the tricky thing about English - so many things are permitted...

I also fed the spelling checker "gaal" and it offered "gaol" as one of the
suggested substitutes...

-lar

--

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (11/11/90)

In article <183@tivoli.UUCP> lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) writes:
<
<I tried checking "gaol" with FrameMaker 2.1's spelling checker, and it
<accepted it.  Since I don't have the international edition, I cannot
<say whether if I could have selected US spelling and have it reject "gaol".
<That's the tricky thing about English - so many things are permitted...

My question was whether the English/international/British spelling checker
would've spotted `jail' and suggested `gaol' as the correct spelling.

					--Scott

--

ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (11/11/90)

In article <27216@cs.yale.edu> horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:

>My question was whether the English/international/British spelling checker
>would've spotted `jail' and suggested `gaol' as the correct spelling.

FrameMaker 2.1 International says:

  jail in UK mode - OK
       in US mode - OK

  gaol in UK mode - OK
       in US mode - OK

In fact,

  ``In British official use the forms with G [gaol, gaoler] are
  still current; in literary and journalistic use both the G forms and
  the J forms [jail, jailer] are now admitted as correct, but all recent
  dictionaries give the preference to the latter''.

That's the OED speaking. I doubt if it means anything, since the OED
also says that the '-ize' form of verbs is to be preferred to '-ise'
(when the root is of Greek origin). And nobody seems to bother about
that.

--
Anders Thulin       ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcsun}!sunic!prosys!ath
Telesoft Europe AB, Teknikringen 2B, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden

russell@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Russell J Fulton;ccc032u) (11/12/90)

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:

>However, I just saw `programme' in reference to a computer program in a USENET
>article which came from Canada.  What could this be, other than a misspelling?
>`Program' meaning `computer program' is the standard spelling everywhere;
>`programme' is the English/non-American spelling for the word in all its other
>uses.

Oxford English Dictionary now lists program as an acceptable alternative to
programme "especially computer ~". I think 'archaic usage' is probably more
correct description than simply incorrect. There are still quite a few people
in the faculty here (New Zealand) who insist on using "programme".

Russell.

--
Russell Fulton, Computer Center, University of Auckland, New Zealand.
<rj_fulton@aukuni.ac.nz>

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) (11/12/90)

In article <27203@cs.yale.edu> horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:
)However, I just saw `programme' in reference to a computer program in a USENET
)article which came from Canada.  What could this be, other than a misspelling?
)`Program' meaning `computer program' is the standard spelling everywhere;
)`programme' is the English/non-American spelling for the word in all its other
)uses.

I am not sure this is generally accepted. I constantly see
"programme" referring to computer programs in British computer
magazines. Are they all misspelling the word?

But the above statement also points out one of the difficulties in
writing a spelling conversion utility: if there are indeed words which
are spelled differently depending on the context (as you claim for
"programme" in British English), how would the utilitiy make that
distinction and provide the proper spelling?
--
Wolf N. Paul, UNIX SysAdmin, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa!wnp

em@dce.ie (Eamonn McManus) (11/12/90)

In article <27204@cs.yale.edu> horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:
>Yes, but will it be able to figure out that `jail' is supposed to be `gaol'?

Why?
--
Eamonn McManus    <em@dce.ie>		Are they the pearls of song
Dropped by countless angel throng	From paradise above?  No.

ecsv24@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Bradfield) (11/12/90)

In <27216@cs.yale.edu> horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:
>My question was whether the English/international/British spelling checker
>would've spotted `jail' and suggested `gaol' as the correct spelling.

One hopes not. A spelling checker has no business suggesting a
somewhat archaic form as a replacement for the standard form.

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (11/13/90)

In article <27203@cs.yale.edu> horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:
> In article <5727@alpha.cam.nist.gov> koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) writes:
> >Actually, I've been given to understand that Canadian spelling has some
> >American elements.
>
> Yes, it does.  See, among other books, _The Story of English_ (and accompanying
> BBC television series).
>
> However, I just saw `programme' in reference to a computer program in a USENET
> article which came from Canada.  What could this be, other than a misspelling?
> `Program' meaning `computer program' is the standard spelling everywhere;
> `programme' is the English/non-American spelling for the word in all its other
> uses.

It may have been a posting from me.  I tend to use "programme" always,
though I won't go to any great lengths to change it if it refers to
software.  On the other hand, I don't use "tyre", and I am very
un-stable in my use of "..ise" or "..ize", eg. I use "organize" and
"organisation".  I guess my rule of thumb is "..is.." and "..ize",
i.e. I use `zed' when it comes near the end of the word, and `ess' in
the middle of a word.

I write a fair bit of technical documentation and such, and I edit the
UniForum Canada newsletter (README), keeping with the above
practices.  I use the British option of spell (-b) to help me out.  (My
favorite UNIX spellers are vspell and the built-in one in JOVE.)
Certainly spell is not the best tool, but it is available almost
everywhere.  I just wish System V had look!
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]    VE3TCP	Toronto, Ontario CANADA

kim@Software.Mitel.com (Kim Letkeman) (11/14/90)

In article <661@riegel.prosys.se> ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) writes:
| That's the OED speaking. I doubt if it means anything, since the OED
| also says that the '-ize' form of verbs is to be preferred to '-ise'
| (when the root is of Greek origin). And nobody seems to bother about
| that.

Well, almost everyone around here uses the -ize form.

The net could use a "sweeping statement" indicator or perhaps a "grain
of salt" insertion mechanism.
--
Kim Letkeman	kim@software.mitel.com
		uunet!mitel!spock!kim

kathy@rbdc (Kathy Vincent) (11/15/90)

tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:

>Does anybody have an editor script to convert American spelling
>(localize, color) to English spelling (localise, colour)?  I'd use
>the term British instead of English, except that English spelling
>is also the norm in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

I don't know about an editor script, but the UNIX "spell" utility
has a -b option (that's "b" for British).  If you're concerned with
locating words that need to be changed, that should help.  (I haven't
tried the particular word, but I imagine it would tell you to switch
"jail" to "gaol," too, as someone was wondering about.  :-)  )
You could then use those words to make a "vi" shell script that
globally searches and replaces -- but allows you to yea or nay each
occurrance (the "c" option at the end of the "s"ubstitute command).
Making blanket global changes might be a bit risky ...

Kathy Vincent

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov14.223747.3410@rbdc> kathy@rbdc (Kathy Vincent) writes:
>tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:
<
<<Does anybody have an editor script to convert American spelling
<<(localize, color) to English spelling (localise, colour)?  I'd use
<<the term British instead of English, except that English spelling
<<is also the norm in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.
<
<I don't know about an editor script, but the UNIX "spell" utility
<has a -b option (that's "b" for British).  If you're concerned with
<locating words that need to be changed, that should help.  (I haven't
<tried the particular word, but I imagine it would tell you to switch
<"jail" to "gaol," too, as someone was wondering about.  :-)  )

No, it doesn't:

-----------------------cut here--------------------
jaguar> spell -b
gaol jail colour color localise localize
----At this point, I'm going to type a ^D; everything after this is the
output of `spell----
color
localize
-----------------------cut here--------------------

The only misspellings it found are `color' and `localize'.

<You could then use those words to make a "vi" shell script that
<globally searches and replaces -- but allows you to yea or nay each
<occurrance (the "c" option at the end of the "s"ubstitute command).
 ^^^^^^^^^^

That's `occurrence'.  :-)  (Follow-ups to `alt.flame.spelling'.  :-) )

					--Scott

--

kim@Software.Mitel.com (Kim Letkeman) (11/17/90)

In article <KIM.90Nov14065703@kim.Software.Mitel.com> kim@Software.Mitel.com (Kim Letkeman) writes:
| 	<661@riegel.prosys.se>
| Sender: kim@spock
|
| In article <661@riegel.prosys.se> ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) writes:
| | That's the OED speaking. I doubt if it means anything, since the OED
| | also says that the '-ize' form of verbs is to be preferred to '-ise'
| | (when the root is of Greek origin). And nobody seems to bother about
| | that.
|
| Well, almost everyone around here uses the -ize form.
|
| The net could use a "sweeping statement" indicator or perhaps a "grain
| of salt" insertion mechanism.
| --
| Kim Letkeman	kim@software.mitel.com
| 		uunet!mitel!spock!kim

Oops. My brain dead indicator failed to go off before I posted that
statement. Apologies.

--

ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (11/18/90)

In article <KIM.90Nov14065703@kim.Software.Mitel.com> kim@Software.Mitel.com (Kim Letkeman) writes:
>In article <661@riegel.prosys.se> I (ath@prosys.se) wrote:
>| That's the OED speaking. I doubt if it means anything, since the OED
>| also says that the '-ize' form of verbs is to be preferred to '-ise'
>| (when the root is of Greek origin). And nobody seems to bother about
>| that.
>
>Well, almost everyone around here uses the -ize form.

Sorry, that was unintentional sarcasm.

I tried to point my remark the other way. There is a group of islands
outside the coast of France, where, rumor has it, use of the '-ize'
form is taken to be a particularly uncivilized and benighted mode of
expression, ``Fowler and the OED to the contrary notwithstanding''.

--

In article <662@riegel.prosys.se> ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) writes:
>I tried to point my remark the other way. There is a group of islands
>outside the coast of France, where, rumor has it, use of the '-ize'
>form is taken to be a particularly uncivilized and benighted mode...

Ah, but they're not islands any more, at least the main one isn't.  There
is now a dry-land connection to France.  So the Academie Francaise will
straighten them out. :-) :-) :-)
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

wnp@iiasa.ac.at (wolf paul) (11/21/90)

)
)Ah, but they're not islands any more, at least the main one isn't.  There
)is now a dry-land connection to France.  So the Academie Francaise will
>straighten them out. :-) :-) :-)

Ah, but the dry-land connection is only about 5 cm wide so far. So how
much good is that going to do, pour le moment?
--
W.N.Paul, Int. Institute f. Applied Systems Analysis, A-2361 Laxenburg--Austria
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465            INTERNET: wnp%iiasa@relay.eu.net

bts@unx.sas.com (Brian T. Schellenberger) (11/28/90)

In article <2402@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:
|I'd use
|the term British instead of English, except that English spelling
|is also the norm in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.

Rather ironic to use the term "English" as the more inclusive one, since
England is a portion of Great Britain rather than vice-versa.

It is usual to refer to this as "British" spelling, as in the "the British
Empire," which pretty accurately describes where this spelling prevails.

--
-- Brian, the Man from Babble-on.		bts@unx.sas.com
-- (Brian Schellenberger)

bts@unx.sas.com (Brian T. Schellenberger) (11/29/90)

In article <27216@cs.yale.edu> horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) writes:
|My question was whether the English/international/British spelling checker
|would've spotted `jail' and suggested `gaol' as the correct spelling.

Obviously not.  While "gaol" is *in*correct in American, "jail" is not
incorrect in British.  Goal is correct in British, but a speller checker
that suggested changing every word for which some other word also existed
would be pretty tedious to use.
--
-- Brian, the Man from Babble-on.		bts@unx.sas.com
-- (Brian Schellenberger)
"And when the votes were cast, the winner was . . .
 Mister James K. Polk, Napolean of the stump."        -- THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS.

lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) (12/01/90)

I do not consider "gaol" to be incorrect in American English - only rare
and archaic.  American English is not a subset of British English (nor is
the reverse true).

Issues of vocabulary and slang are always going to be handled poorly (if at all)
by a spelling checker.  On the other hand, spelling conventions (for example:
colorize/colourise - has colourise made it to England yet?) are easily
detected.

-lar

Does your American dictionary list "gaol"?  Case closed...

--
---------                             TIVOLI Systems, Inc.
Lar Kaufman                           (voice) 512-329-2455

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (12/01/90)

In article <218@tivoli.UUCP> lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) writes:
<
<Issues of vocabulary and slang are always going to be handled poorly (if at all)
<by a spelling checker.

Of course.  This is the argument against those who would put every entry in
the _OED_ into their spelling checkers:  the spelling checkers would cease
to be useful, as most typos and misspellings would be regarded as correct.
Misspellings which happened to coincide with unwanted archaisms would pass
through.

And who minds if his spelling checker can't find `paradichlorobenzene'?
You can check that by hand.

Of course, I don't use a spelling checker at all, as I have perfect spelling.
<*boast*>

>On the other hand, spelling conventions (for example:
<colorize/colourise - has colourise made it to England yet?) are easily
<detected.
<
<Does your American dictionary list "gaol"?  Case closed...

_The American Heritage Dictionary_ (2d college edition) lists it as "Chiefly
Brit.".  Case reopened.

					--Scott