[comp.text] Price of DWB 3.1

mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) (11/15/90)

I heard a rumor which I simply can't believe is true, but thought
people here might know the answer.  I was told that a DWB 3.1  source
license costs $20,000!!!! More than the ENTIRE UNIX system did
for COMMERCIAL purposes at one time???? This can't be true, can it??
I mean, I looked at what they give you over DWB 2.0 and that
can't possibly be right, can it??

Does anyone know for sure??

	Astonished minds want to know...
	-Mike

rstevens@noao.edu (Rich Stevens) (11/15/90)

As I understand, DWB 3.1 source is $20,000.  DWB 3.1 Plus is $30,000.
The latter comes with Picasso (a drawing package).  Picasso by itself
is $15,000.

	Rich Stevens

doug@letni.UUCP (Doug Davis) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.134714.15935@bellcore.bellcore.com> mo@messy.UUCP (Michael O'Dell) writes:
>I heard a rumor which I simply can't believe is true, but thought
>people here might know the answer.  I was told that a DWB 3.1  source
>license costs $20,000!!!!
>
>Does anyone know for sure??

Yes that true and very sad.  We purchased DWB2.0 in June '90, and
it will still cost us 15k to upgrade to 3.1! What could possibly
justify the cost to upgrade from 2.0 to 3.1? From the document
I have gotten (re: posting to this group) all I can see is a few
new cute features, but nothing of substance.   Someone explain what
DWB 3.1 can do that I can't with 2.0 and a bit of net software?

doug
__
Doug Davis/4409 Sarazen/Mesquite Texas, 75150/214-270-9226
{texsun|lawnet|smu}!letni!doug     doug@letni.lonestar.org

                                                              "Be seeing you..."

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.134714.15935@bellcore.bellcore.com>, mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) writes:
> I heard a rumor which I simply can't believe is true, but thought
> people here might know the answer.  I was told that a DWB 3.1  source
> license costs $20,000!!!! More than the ENTIRE UNIX system did
> for COMMERCIAL purposes at one time???? This can't be true, can it??
> I mean, I looked at what they give you over DWB 2.0 and that
> can't possibly be right, can it??
>
> Does anyone know for sure??
>
> 	Astonished minds want to know...
> 	-Mike

Well, prices have gone up since 1970, you know.
This is a source license, so a company could/would
install it on lots of machines. The sgml translator
for the Sun is $12,500 for *binary*. S/370 Publishing
System from IBM is $50,000 for *binary*.  The target
for this product is large companies and VARs. I would
guess a binary from a VAR would price around $500
for a 386 or Sun 3, if they had a reasonable size market
(in the thousands).
University price is $1,000, so the only ones who should
be chagrined at the price are small companies who want
source. But why would you want source?
Anyway, Bellcore already bought it!

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (11/16/90)

In re: Someone explain what
DWB 3.1 can do that I can't with 2.0 and a bit of net software?

===
DWB 2.0 was regrettably buggy and very nonportable.
If you are a University with slave labor you perhaps did
not mind the effort to make DWB run on various architectures.
3.1 is completely portable to BSD and all System V's.
3.1 also has a first-rate PostScript support package;
with 2.0 and net software you are probably getting APS-5
width tables sent to PostScript, which yields sloppy spacing
on final output. We have timed our troff-to-postscript
translator against some of the commercial competition and
measured 3 to 5 times speed improvement (not only CPU,
but printer speed; the printer was running 2 ppm with some
of the competitive products vs 8 ppm with dpost on
conventional Canon printers).
The 3.1 version has been used to publish many high-quality
books and magazines, including some AT&T documentation that
runs into the thousands of pages. This is "industrial strength"
text formatting. I will concede that if all you want is
a two page business letter, there are lots of PC alternatives.
Oh yes, and there is now extensive documentation
for end users, including tutorials with lots of
examples. Machine readable (troff, of course).

tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) (11/17/90)

I think this is finally the end of troff.  Hallelujah!  Thank you
AT&T for finally driving a stake through its heart.

Here are your choices:

	DWB 3.1 (with Picasso)		$30,000
	Frame 2.1 (graphics included)	$ 2,500

Admittedly DWB 3.1 includes source, but who needs source if you
have support?  It's hard to imagine that any troff VAR would sell
DWB 3.1 for significantly less than $2,500-- they don't now.  So
when Frame comes out with a great table package, what advantage
could troff offer?  A rebarbative input syntax, perhaps?

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (11/17/90)

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) writes:
> ...The target
> for this product is large companies and VARs. I would
> guess a binary from a VAR would price around $500
> for a 386 or Sun 3, if they had a reasonable size market
> (in the thousands).

A large company is going to want the source license, I guess, so that they
can afford DWB!

What do the rest of us do?  Does AT&T really believe that only "large
companies and VARs" want nice-looking output from their laser printers?

$500 is an exorbitant price for a "little" piece like DWB, when people are
targeting complete System V.4 UNIX releases for something in the neighbor-
hood of $1500-2000.  I'm afraid O'Dell is right.

I want DWB 3.1 for my use.  But will I be able to afford (i.e., cost-
justify) it?
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   Cellular phones: more deadly than marijuana.

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov15.205157.20930@cbnewsl.att.com>
	npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) writes:
>I would guess a binary from a VAR would price around $500 for a 386 or Sun 3

Reality check.  Most places selling DWB 2.0 based 386 binaries do so at
nearly double this cost.  I strongly doubt they will be providing 50%
discounts with a 3.1 based release.  (Please note I said "most" - there
are some inexpensive troff's around too.)

This, combined with earlier statements to the effect that we should throw
all our non-postscript printers into the crapper, leads me to believe
that either the DWB 3.1 distribution was concocted in an ivory tower, or
AT&T is damned proud of this release.

>University price is $1,000, so the only ones who should
>be chagrined at the price are small companies who want
>source. But why would you want source?

I don't.  But I want the people who provide my binaries to get it.  And
I've heard rumors to the effect that they aren't interested.

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |  We was raising insurance premiums, ma.
Unicom Systems Development    |  We was spreading fear of arson.

jay@silence.princeton.nj.us (Jay Plett) (11/17/90)

In article <2971@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:
> Here are your choices:
>
> 	DWB 3.1 (with Picasso)		$30,000
> 	Frame 2.1 (graphics included)	$ 2,500

How about a NeXT at educational pricing?  You get text processing,
a dictionary, and the works of Shakespeare for $3200. They even
throw in a computer to run it on for free! :-)

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (11/19/90)

In article <2971@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:
> I think this is finally the end of troff.  Hallelujah!  Thank you
> AT&T for finally driving a stake through its heart.
>
> Here are your choices:
>
> 	DWB 3.1 (with Picasso)		$30,000
> 	Frame 2.1 (graphics included)	$ 2,500
>
> Admittedly DWB 3.1 includes source, but who needs source if you
> have support?  It's hard to imagine that any troff VAR would sell
> DWB 3.1 for significantly less than $2,500-- they don't now.  So
> when Frame comes out with a great table package, what advantage
> could troff offer?  A rebarbative input syntax, perhaps?

For DWB 2.0, binary price ran as low as $99 (nroff for PC).
List price for most workstations was under $1,000.
Assuming the VAR has any significant business, the source
license is less than 5% of his cost, so is unlikely to
be a significant factor.
Bill might also enjoy the current bantering (in comp.text.desktop,
I think) ensuing from someone's complaint that it seems to be
impossible to divert formatted output to a file using his
favorite formatter.

rstevens@noao.edu (Rich Stevens) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov19.143129.12604@cbnewsl.att.com> npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) writes:

>List price for most workstations was under $1,000.

Not quite.  I talked to Elan (one of the bigger troff VARS, I'd guess)
and two months ago they wanted $1,795 for DWB 2.0 with a PostScript
filter.  Add an X11 previewer and it's another $495.  This was all
for a SPARCstation SLC, which I consider to be a single-user system.
I'd bet SoftQuad is as much, if not more.  After posting to this
newsgroup I finally found one VAR whose price is $750 for a 1-2 user
workstation.  In fact, after posting to this group no one gave me the
names of any VARs selling binary DWB for a SPARC other than these three.

And then I found groff ...

	Rich Stevens

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov15.205157.20930@cbnewsl.att.com> npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) writes:
> In article <1990Nov15.134714.15935@bellcore.bellcore.com>, mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) writes:
> > I heard a rumor which I simply can't believe is true, but thought
> > people here might know the answer.  I was told that a DWB 3.1  source
> > license costs $20,000!!!!
> >[....]
>[...various words about other high priced software, but yes it is $20,000...]
> University price is $1,000, so the only ones who should
> be chagrined at the price are small companies who want
> source. But why would you want source?

Oh, so we can do silly things like change it!  :-)

Hopefully one of the primary reasons from the past for wanting easy
access to source has been eliminated.  This reason being the necessity
of having source to fix bugs....

Actually, unless DWB 3.1 has been tuned up as well as something like
SoftQuad's version of 2.0 (i.e. with many of the limits removed, long
macro names added, enhanced error reporting, better kerning, etc.), it
won't be worth much.  On the other hand, some of us might prefer to
hack these features in ourselves, rather than pay a third party to do
it *their* way....

Also, if the source has really been cleaned up it might be a thing of
beauty to behold, and worth having for its own sake!  :-)
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]    VE3TCP	Toronto, Ontario CANADA

kim@Software.Mitel.com (Kim Letkeman) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov19.155006.8461@noao.edu> rstevens@noao.edu (Rich Stevens) writes:

| In article <1990Nov19.143129.12604@cbnewsl.att.com> npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) writes:
| >
| >List price for most workstations was under $1,000.
|
| Not quite.  I talked to Elan (one of the bigger troff VARS, I'd
| guess) and two months ago they wanted $1,795 for DWB 2.0 with a
| PostScript filter.  Add an X11 previewer and it's another $495.
| This was all for a SPARCstation SLC, which I consider to be a
| single-user system.  I'd bet SoftQuad is as much, if not more.

We're evaluating SoftQuad at this moment. They want about $2800 CDN
per server. At least, that's what I got verbally. This makes them a
good value for a shop with a number of users on a server.

I called AT&T and was passed to head office in Toronto. They say that
DWB 3.1 is not a supported product yet (i.e. I can't get it yet.) This
may only apply to Canada, but from some of the recent postings, it
looks like it's still a bit rough.
--
Kim Letkeman	kim@software.mitel.com
		uunet!mitel!spock!kim

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (11/21/90)

In article <2971@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:
> I think this is finally the end of troff.  Hallelujah!  Thank you
> AT&T for finally driving a stake through its heart.

Well, it's clear where your predjudices are....  :-(

> Here are your choices:
>
> 	DWB 3.1 (with Picasso)		$30,000
> 	Frame 2.1 (graphics included)	$ 2,500
>
> Admittedly DWB 3.1 includes source, but who needs source if you
> have support?  It's hard to imagine that any troff VAR would sell
> DWB 3.1 for significantly less than $2,500-- they don't now.  So
> when Frame comes out with a great table package, what advantage
> could troff offer?  A rebarbative input syntax, perhaps?

Excuse me?  Where did you get your facts?  I can buy a fully blown,
supported, DWB-2.0 for my 386, 3b2, risc, vax, ncr, sun, next, etc.
for about $275 from at least one source, and get supported jetroff or
devps for about another $200.  SoftQuad's sqtroff starts at ~$975.
Elan's troff is somewhat less than SQ's.  DWB-2.0 from ISC was ~$200.

I recall that DWB-2.0 was ~$20,000, and the additional $10,000 is for
Picasso if I rememer right.  Regardless, any increase in price would
only be in line with recent increases in other AT&T licenses.

What's a source license for Frame cost?

When Frame runs on character terminals (and/or my 5620), I'll buy it.
Out of my own pocket even!
--

In article <1706@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> This, combined with earlier statements to the effect that we should throw
> all our non-postscript printers into the crapper, leads me to believe
> that either the DWB 3.1 distribution was concocted in an ivory tower, or
> AT&T is damned proud of this release.

I suspect the latter is the truth.  Regardless, the same device
independent output is still there, and unless you missed it, so is a
new post-processor for HP PCL.

> >[....] But why would you want source?
>
> I don't.  But I want the people who provide my binaries to get it.  And
> I've heard rumors to the effect that they aren't interested.

I suspect it is because they either think they have already done the
same work to get similar features (as I think is the case at
SoftQuad), or they don't want to start from scratch with something
that in the previous release needed significant work to just get
up and running.

Personally I think the "starting over" step is very important in the
evolution of a product.  Look at the history of UNIX and what was done
each time a new Edition was released.

I too hope that either current DWB-2.0 vendors, or new ones, promptly
switch to 3.1, since I can't afford the source!
--

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (11/23/90)

In article <1990Nov19.155006.8461@noao.edu> rstevens@noao.edu (Rich Stevens) writes:
> In article <1990Nov19.143129.12604@cbnewsl.att.com> npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) writes:
> >
> >List price for most workstations was under $1,000.
>
> Not quite.  I talked to Elan (one of the bigger troff VARS, I'd guess)
> and two months ago they wanted $1,795 for DWB 2.0 with a PostScript
> filter.  Add an X11 previewer and it's another $495.  This was all
> for a SPARCstation SLC, which I consider to be a single-user system.
> I'd bet SoftQuad is as much, if not more.  After posting to this
> newsgroup I finally found one VAR whose price is $750 for a 1-2 user
> workstation.  In fact, after posting to this group no one gave me the
> names of any VARs selling binary DWB for a SPARC other than these three.

SoftQuad prices start at ~$975.00, according to the last price list I
saw.  For a 3B2/400 they quoted me $2,700.00 with PostScript, though
this will definitely be a multi-user license.  Not to mention that
sqtroff, and probably Elan's too, have some of the features 3.1 has,
as well as other features that may make it better for some people.

Why would anyone *buy* an X11 previewer?  You should get it from your
X11 vendor, or from the MIT contrib tape in souce form.

The cheap DWB-2.0 I was refering to in this newsgroup is the Leverage
Programmable Publishing System.  It's from Urban Applied Science,
Inc.  They were showing at the Fujitsu booth at UNIX Expo.  According
to their literature their port is currently available for 386's,
286's, Amdahl/Fujitsu UTS, and 3B2's.  Even on the Fujitsu it's only
$500 (+$275 for devps).

They have 1-800 support (30 days free, then $40/quarter), and e-mail
support, ($20/quarter).

They have a Cyrillic Edition too!

They supply jetroff and devps as options.

	Urban Applied Science, Inc.
	24 Commerce St.
	Newark, NJ
	07102
	{attmail,uunet},!urban!sales
	(201) 242-7230
	(800) 872-8763
	159 266 382 (urban) [Telex]

[ We should all fill their mailbox with requests for 3.1!  :-) ]
--

al@escom.com (Al Donaldson) (11/24/90)

> The cheap DWB-2.0 I was refering to in this newsgroup is the Leverage
> Programmable Publishing System.  It's from Urban Applied Science,
> Inc.  They were showing at the Fujitsu booth at UNIX Expo.  According
> to their literature their port is currently available for 386's,
> 286's, Amdahl/Fujitsu UTS, and 3B2's.  Even on the Fujitsu it's only
> $500 (+$275 for devps).

Greg didn't mention Urban's Sun 3 version of DWB 2.  I don't know if
Urban sells many of these, but I bought one (the first?) and it works fine.
I've cranked out well over a thousand pages of ditroff with embedded
PostScript graphics for a Gov't contract using DWB 2 and devps (ditroff-PS
filter from Pipeline Assoc.) on a NEC 890 printer.  Both DWB and devps cost
around $600-$650 total -- your pricing may vary.

I am very pleased with both packages and I believe they stand up well
against the higher-priced products.  Even though both Urban and Pipeline
are fairly small, their support has been quite good (perhaps BECAUSE they
are small...).

> 	Urban Applied Science, Inc.
> 	{attmail,uunet},!urban!sales
> 	(800) 872-8763
Also
	Pipeline Associates
	201-731-7860

I know I've gotten off the track a bit here (talking about DWB 2.0),
but I just wanted to echo Greg's observations (say "Amen!")  I've not
followed this group recently -- can someone fill me in on the differences
between 2.0 and 3.1 (email is fine).  Why would I want to buy 3.1 if
2.0 is working so well?

Al

lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) (11/27/90)

On the other hand, a locked FrameMaker license (currently available for
Macintosh and NeXT) goes for $995.  I have seen the Mac version discounted
by a mail-order house to $695.  Maybe what we should be lobbying for is
for Frame to offer locked licenses for all platforms...

-lar

--
---------                             TIVOLI Systems, Inc.
Lar Kaufman                           (voice) 512-329-2455

jay@silence.princeton.nj.us (Jay Plett) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov15.211043.21640@cbnewsl.att.com>, npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) writes:
> In re: Someone explain what
> DWB 3.1 can do that I can't with 2.0 and a bit of net software?
> ===
> DWB 2.0 was regrettably buggy and very nonportable.
> If you are a University with slave labor...
  [ and so on, justifying the price ]

Nelson is justifiably proud of his product.  I can understand
and appreciate his enthusiasm.  But his words would have been
more appropriate in comp.newprod where exaggeration, misleading
inference, and hyperbole are expected.  And his product's
venerable heritage deserves more respect than he accords it.

Troff has a history.  Troff, tbl and eqn participated in the
birth of Unix.  Troff begat ditroff, and more accessories were
added.  ATT shipped them over a period of years in several
versions under two package names, Typesetter-Independent Troff
(a/k/a Ditroff) and Documenter's WorkBench.

These programs are notable for their portability--no slaves
required.  Like most programs, they contain bugs.  Yet, in spite
of the bugs, this software has produced millions of pages of
high-quality documents.  Indeed, one of the reasons often given
for the rise of Unix is its *inclusion* of powerful text
processing utilities.

I'll leave it to others to debate whether a maintenance release
warrants a fivefold price hike.  What prompts me to respond is
the--IMHO--cavalier attitude apparent in ATT's marketing of DWB.

Bill Tuthill said it well:
> I think this is finally the end of troff.  Hallelujah!  Thank you
> AT&T for finally driving a stake through its heart.
Unlike Tuthill, I think we've lost something.

Sure, troff is in its declining years.  Alternatives have
appeared; for lots of text munching jobs, some of them are
superior.  For the kinds of job that troff excels at, there is
at least one alternative, tex, with its own merits.  As a
publishing system, DWB's share of the Unix audience is limited
and dwindling.

Dick Dunn referred to DWB as a "'little' piece."  That it is,
but it is also a "key" piece when properly positioned.  Troff
and its accessory programs were invented to play a role in a
system that was designed as a toolbox.  Troff's great strength
lies in its ubiquity and its "toolness".  Old CAT troff is too
tired for contemporary duty, but ditroff still has spunk.  If
its presence could be relied on, software developers and mobile
users could build from it.  It's no prima donna, but--as an
integral part of Unix--ditroff's supporting role could help
carry the show.

While troff, in its current incarnation as ditroff, still has
legitimate uses, I believe that it is being misused by ATT's
marketing arm.  Now would have been a good moment in this tool's
history to enlarge, not diminish, its availability.  It ought to
be bundled with the OS where it could play the part it was
conceived for, not exiled to a loyal fan club's salon.

Reality check.  There's money to be made from a robust version
of ditroff.  There are organizations who, for whatever reason,
depend on it and can afford it.  I would like to argue that this
overlooks ditroff's potential to enhance the profitability of
Unix itself.  But, despite ditroff's potential to enhance the
*utility* of The Unix Operating System, my naive argument
probably won't wash.  Unix's market position has grown strong
enough that it can be sustained by marketing methods alone.
Unix no longer needs to rely on its integrity.  The play has
moved from Murray Hill to Greensboro.

So how can I deny ATT its right to profit from its intellectual
property?  I can't.  I can only clasp my hat to chest, cast my
eyes downward, and mumble: "I think we've lost something".

	Jay Plett
	jay@silence.princeton.nj.us

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (11/29/90)

I hope this is of interest to the general community. I have
no intention of boring the world with interpersonal chit-chat.
Jay Plett writes an excellent essay, and I find relatively
little fault with what he says.
First, the nits.
Plett upholds the history of troff. So do I. My criticism
was of the externally packaged DWB 2.0 release compared
with what was being used internally at the time. The internal
package was considerably more robust and modern. The goal
in bringing out 3.1 was to give the outside world access to
the same technology afforded to Bell Labs people.
Plett and Dunn call DWB a 'little' piece. There are 112 files
in the version on this system, and that doesn't count the font
tables and files. 35,000 blocks of source code hardly qualifies
at little. There are 23 new postscript programs alone.
It was certainly my own personal preference to package DWB
with UNIX. I lost. As a result, the current UNIX shipped by
USL doesn't even include the 'man' command (because man
relies on nroff).
Having lost that battle, what is a reasonable price for
60,000 or so lines of well-tested, portable source code?
As mentioned earlier, some VARs paid $4,000 for the 2.0
source license, compiled it, and sold binaries for $8,000
apiece (Amdahl price)!
The grand strategy, so to speak, is that large companies
would do well to buy a source license for their own internal
use; it's cheaper and gives them the obvious benefit of
source code.  Most important, they get *identical* software
on Amdahl, AT&T, DEC, IBM, Sun, hardware.
Smaller companies will have to rely on VARs selling binary.
AT&T should be coming out with a complete set (386, 486,
3B2, System 7000) early next year.  I've been unable to
get the attention of anyone at Sun and the others, but
perhaps this will help.
And, last, the university license of $1,000 for source is,
to my mind, generous. A guy who works for me has *two* kids
at Princeton, and that's $40,000 in tuition room and board.

My own personal vision is for DWB to be something you can
count on wherever you compute. It's not the sexiest formatter
around, but it is the most dependable. I can ship troff files
to any of several thousand people inside AT&T via e-mail with
confidence that they will be able to run off exactly what I
intended on their local printer. Unlike PostScript, these
files are revisable and so promote multiple-authored, inter-
location documents.  That's our target: distributed,
multi-machine, multi-vendor environment with "industrial
strength" needs (dozens to thousands of pages).

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (Geraldo Veiga) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov28.193202.19684@cbnewsl.att.com> npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) writes:

>It was certainly my own personal preference to package DWB
>with UNIX. I lost. As a result, the current UNIX shipped by
>USL doesn't even include the 'man' command (because man
>relies on nroff).

I've been looking into 386 SysV 4.0  recently and at least 2 of them --
Dell and Microport -- say they include some version of troff.  Does any
one know what version of troff (if any) is included with the official
Sys V 4.0 release?  I couldn't figure out from the information vendors
gave me, but at least one of them told me that they used whatever
version they have to generate their published versions of the manuals.

From the point of view of an end user, I think DWB is in trouble
whatever AT&T does with it (short of giving it away).
I am a troff user moving more and more into the TeX world.
I'd love to have some usable version of DWB 3.1 with whatever PC Unix I
decide on, but I doubt I'd be willing to pay whatever VARs will have
to charge for the binaries.  Without arguing technical issues, the
portability of TeX makes it the unavoidable choice.  It runs anywhere
and prints to any printer.  With most users moving to PCs or
workstations for their writing chores, AT&T has to rethink
dramatically how their software is distributed.

>My own personal vision is for DWB to be something you can
>count on wherever you compute. It's not the sexiest formatter
>around, but it is the most dependable. I can ship troff files
>to any of several thousand people inside AT&T via e-mail with
>confidence that they will be able to run off exactly what I
>intended on their local printer. Unlike PostScript, these
>files are revisable and so promote multiple-authored, inter-
>location documents.  That's our target: distributed,
>multi-machine, multi-vendor environment with "industrial
>strength" needs (dozens to thousands of pages).

Maybe internally at AT&T it might be possible, but it is too late for
the rest of the world.  I deal with 2 different versions of troff/DWB
and they have very different features.  I use DWB 2.0 on a 3b2 where I
use "grap", but I have no useful printer support, no bibliography
package, no ms macros. The version I use under BSD have the "bib"
bibliography package, PS filters, but an older ditroff, no grap and an
ancient version of "mm".  After some gimnastics I can come up with a
"portable" version of the document, but the actual source cannot be
shipped back and forth between co-authors.

	Geraldo

wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov28.193202.19684@cbnewsl.att.com>, npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) writes:

> ...  I've been unable to
> get the attention of anyone at Sun and the others, but

IBM now bundles DWB 2.0 with their 6000 system.
Others will bundle some old version of troff with SVR4.
Suppose one of these companies decided they wanted to
bundle DWB 3.1 instead.  According to my reading of
the sublicensing agreement, they must pay AT&T a royalty
of max ($120, 1% x system price, 10% x DWB price), with
a maximum of $750 for each binary distributed.  Suppose
that next year this company ships 50,000 workstations
selling for $20,000 each (a little low for Sun and perhaps
IBM).  They then owe royalties of 1% x $2B = $20M.  I
suppose AT&T might work out a better deal than the
standard volume discounts, but maybe this explains why
you haven't been able to get their attention.

It's great that we all agree that ditroff, though creaky,
is still a nice thing to have around.  The problem is that
not many people are willing to pay a very large price
for it, especially with gnu troff and tex available.  Hence
it will be difficult to justify bundling it and it will
be more difficult for a small VAR to make any money
reselling binaries when the initial cost and royalties
are not Real Cheap.
--
Walt Brainerd        Sun Microsystems, Inc.
wsb@eng.sun.com      MS MTV 5-40

In article <3691@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, wsb@boise.Eng.Sun.COM (Walt Brainerd) writes:
> that next year this company ships 50,000 workstations
> selling for $20,000 each (a little low for Sun and perhaps
> IBM).  They then owe royalties of 1% x $2B = $20M.  I

I was going to say 100,000 workstations
(but I didn't want to make the low-volume
folks look bad :) and forgot to change
1% x $2B = $20M to 1% x $1B = $10M.

--
Walt Brainerd        Sun Microsystems, Inc.
wsb@eng.sun.com      MS MTV 5-40
                     Mountain View, CA 94043
                     415/336-5991

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (12/01/90)

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) writes, in reply to Jay Plett and
bits from others...

> Plett upholds the history of troff. So do I. My criticism
> was of the externally packaged DWB 2.0 release compared
> with what was being used internally at the time...

Having tried to rebuild 2.0, I have to concur with npn's earlier
assessments of the problems there.

> Plett and Dunn call DWB a 'little' piece. There are 112 files
> in the version on this system, and that doesn't count the font
> tables and files. 35,000 blocks of source code hardly qualifies
> at little. There are 23 new postscript programs alone.

First, let me explain my characterization of size:  I think of "DWB" as
troff, tbl, eqn, pic, grap, a back-end, and some miscellaneous others.
It's a lot of code, sure, and it's valuable code.  (I wouldn't complain
about the cost so much if I didn't want it!!)  But DWB is typically
something like 5% of a complete UNIX system in size.  That doesn't mean I
expect it to be 5% of the price--that would be unrealistic.  But I think
having it be 30-50% of the price of a complete UNIX system is unrealistic
in the other direction.

I'm hoping that "35,000 blocks" was really meant to be 35,000 lines!  I'm
unwilling to think of 17 Mb of source code for DWB--that would be about a
ten-folk expansion.

> Having lost that battle, what is a reasonable price for
> 60,000 or so lines of well-tested, portable source code?

Pricing is always tricky.  However, you do have to take into account the
market--it's not closed; there are a few other serious text-processing
systems out there.  The price needs to be set based on what it's worth to
people, not what it cost you to develop it.  (The relationship between
worth-to-customer and cost-to-developer is only the minor matter of whether
you make money on it.:-)

> My own personal vision is for DWB to be something you can
> count on wherever you compute...

The trouble with that is that the unbundling killed it.  I'm with you--AT&T
should have bundled it with UNIX.  But as long as it's an option, and an
expensive one (relative to the rest of the system) it's not likely that
enough people will have it that you can count on it.  That's too bad.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Mr. Natural says, "Use the right tool for the job."

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (12/03/90)

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

> But as long as it's an option, and an
> expensive one (relative to the rest of the system) it's not likely that
> enough people will have it that you can count on it.  That's too bad.

There is something ISC could do to counter this, though.  What about
trying to persuade to boss to make some money available to James Clark
so that he can bring groff up to the polish where you would be happy to
ship it in your product?  THen everyone else would as well :-) Then we
can *all* have DWB 3.1 functionality, be real grateful to ISC (so we'd
spend more time convincing the boss to switch to it :-) and you can
depend upon folx having said functionality ?
Just a pipedream, I know.  Sigh.
--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

jmm@eci386.uucp (John Macdonald) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec1.004822.6498@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
|npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) writes:
|
|> My own personal vision is for DWB to be something you can
|> count on wherever you compute...
|
|The trouble with that is that the unbundling killed it.  I'm with you--AT&T
|should have bundled it with UNIX.  But as long as it's an option, and an
|expensive one (relative to the rest of the system) it's not likely that
|enough people will have it that you can count on it.  That's too bad.

I agree with Dick here, and I consider irresponsible of AT&T to
have acted in this way.  DWB and its precursors have been included
as part of the standard distribution for most of the history of
Unix (which of course was mostly done by Bell Labs, before it became
a significant commercial product).  When DWB was unbundled it changed
the value of Unix for the worse - it was no longer obviously correct
to write documentation in troff, because suddenly there was no assurance
that your target audience might be able to read it.  Now AT&T has put
the nail in the coffin of "Unix standard documentation".

I don't expect that Posix will be able to mandate a single ubiquitous
standard documentation format - I'm sure that there will be too much
pressure to approve some form of TeX as well as some form of [nt]roff
and it will be a long time (if ever) before you can depend upon *all*
possible customers being able to use a single document format.

There were definite advantages to the days when "purchasing" Unix
meant leaving a tape around Bell Labs for a while and having it
"accidentally overwritten" while you were off at lunch.  (Of course
there are other advantages to these days too, it's not all for the
worse.)
--
Cure the common code...                      | John Macdonald
...Ban Basic      - Christine Linge          |   jmm@eci386

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec1.004822.6498@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>The price needs to be set based on what it's worth to
>people, not what it cost you to develop it.  (The relationship between
>worth-to-customer and cost-to-developer is only the minor matter of whether
>you make money on it.:-)

Precisely right - if what it cost you to develop it was more than it
was worth, why bother doing it at all?  You're certainly not going to
make any money on it then.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541
UUCP: uunet!utai!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

jay@silence.princeton.nj.us (Jay Plett) (12/04/90)

In article <983@ecicrl.UUCP>, clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:
> ... if what it cost you to develop it was more than it
> was worth, why bother doing it at all?

Because it was there.
A proposition that once had currency at a certain _laboratory_
operated by a company known as Western Electric.

	...jay

tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) (12/07/90)

Is DWB 3.1 now 8-bit clean?  That is, can I type ISO Latin-1 characters
into my workstation and expect to see them on output?

And is DWB 3.1 now multi-byte clean?  Is it able to produce output for
Kanji PostScript and other output devices intended for East Asia?  I've
seen "A Troff Tutorial" in Kanji, so this is a distinct possibility.

If the answer to both questions is yes, then DWB 3.1 is worth $30,000.

Bill