[comp.text] Ignorant troff question

brian@positron.amd.com (Brian McMinn) (12/03/90)

I'm writing a research paper using troff (and the -ms macros) and I
need to reference an author whose name has a double-dotted-o in it.
This character isn't listed in the list of special characters at the
end of the troff reference.  I've tried several "obvious" sequences,
but none have worked.  Does this letter exist?  If so, how do I get it
to print?

--
   Brian McMinn                 brian@amd.com
   Advanced Micro Devices       N5PSS

bruce@balilly.UUCP (Bruce Lilly) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec3.015835.27999@mozart.amd.com> brian@positron.amd.com (Brian McMinn) writes:
> [ ... ]
>need to reference an author whose name has a double-dotted-o in it.
> [ ... ]
>but none have worked.  Does this letter exist?  If so, how do I get it
>to print?

Try \(o:

--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce@sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec3.015835.27999@mozart.amd.com> brian@positron.amd.com (Brian McMinn) writes:
>I'm writing a research paper using troff (and the -ms macros) and I
>need to reference an author whose name has a double-dotted-o in it.
>This character isn't listed in the list of special characters at the
>end of the troff reference.  I've tried several "obvious" sequences,
>but none have worked.  Does this letter exist?  If so, how do I get it
>to print?

The MS macro manual has a larger list of characters it can form by
overstriking characters and you specify them by uttering string variables
(eg: \*(xx).  As far as a "real" character is concerned, if you have
ditroff and your printer has this character, you can invent a \(xx sequence
and teach ditroff about it (see font file format).  If it's C/A/T troff
you cannot teach it about new characters.  In either troff you can
construct it yourself with an o plus some local x:y motions and periods.
It's paper consuming, but it works...  eventually...
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541
UUCP: uunet!utai!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec3.015835.27999@mozart.amd.com> brian@positron.amd.com (Brian McMinn) writes:
<I'm writing a research paper using troff (and the -ms macros) and I
<need to reference an author whose name has a double-dotted-o in it.
<This character isn't listed in the list of special characters at the
<end of the troff reference.  I've tried several "obvious" sequences,
<but none have worked.  Does this letter exist?  If so, how do I get it
<to print?

.\" Set up the the special characters
.ds #[ \&
.ds #] \&
.ds #h ((1u-(\\\\n(.fu%2u))*0.13m)
.ds #v 0.6m
.ds #f 0
.\"			\" accents
.ds ' \k_\h'-(\\n(.wu*8/10-\*(#h)'\*(#[\(aa\h'|\\n_u'\*(#]
.ds ` \k_\h'-(\\n(.wu*7/10-\*(#h)'\*(#[\(ga\h'|\\n_u'\*(#]
.ds ~ \k_\h'-(\\n(.wu-\*(#h-0.05m)'\*(#[~\h'|\\n_u'\*(#]
.\"			\" umlaut
.ds : \k_\h'-(\\n(.wu*8/10-\*(#h+0.1m+\*(#f)'\v'-\*(#v'\*(#[\z.\h'0.2m+\*(#f'.\h'|\\n_u'\v'\*(#v'\*(#]
.rm #[
.rm #]
.rm #h
.rm #v
.rm #f

The string you want is \*:
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\        spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

brian@positron.amd.com (Brian McMinn) (12/09/90)

For all those interested, here is a summary of the "how do I troff an
umlat" question.  My thanks to all those who replied (including some
not mentioned here because I managed to lose some of the mail).  One
reply not included but worth mentioning because it was so simple was
to overstrike an o with a double quote(") char.

Thanks to all, I'm going to use the string defined below since I've
got a really primative version of troff.

	Brian

---