[comp.text] are there any troff - gif

msy@demon.siemens.com (Marcus S. Yoo) (12/12/90)

Hello, are there any troff to gif converters out there?
Also, can you convert from post script to some other (e.g. gif)
formats ?? (unlikely...)

I'm trying to view some troff and/or postscript files on X11.
I have a good gif previewer (xv) I would like to use.
I also have the pbmplus package to do various conversions,
except converting from troff and postscript.

Post or reply any and all information.
(If I'm in the wrong newsgroup, let me know where I should be. Thanks.)
Marcus S. Yoo                          msy@demon.siemens.com or msy@demon.UUCP
SIEMENS Corporate Research, Inc.             or ..!princeton!siemens!demon!msy
755 College Road East, Princeton, NJ 08540       tel: (609)734-3313  fax: 6565
Often-wrong's got a broken heart, can't even tell his boys apart
    --  Lore (to/about Dr. Soongh), "Brothers", Star Trek: The Next Generation

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (12/12/90)

In article <47196@siemens.siemens.com> msy@demon.siemens.com (Marcus S. Yoo) writes:

>I'm trying to view some troff and/or postscript files on X11.
>I have a good gif previewer (xv) I would like to use.
>I also have the pbmplus package to do various conversions,
>except converting from troff and postscript.

The X11 contrib directory should contain both xditview and xtroff.
They allow you to view troff documents in X windows.  You will
also need some sort of troff.  Type:
    troff
If it responds with "Typesetter busy", you'll also need psroff from
alt.sources (you have CAT Troff).  If it simply hangs until you
hit interrupt, you have ditroff and you don't need psroff.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541
UUCP: uunet!utai!lsuc!ecicrl!clewis

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (12/12/90)

FIrst page of DWB 3.1 man page for postgif follows:

     POSTGIF(1)            UNIX System V (local)            POST
GIF(1)

     NAME
          postgif - PostScript translator for GIF files

     SYNOPSIS
          postgif [ options ] [ files ]

     DESCRIPTION
          postgif translates Graphics Interchange Format (GIF) files
          into PostScript and writes the results on the standard
          output.  If no files are specified, or if - is one of the
          input files, the standard input is read.  The following
          options are understood:

          -cnum     Print num copies of each page.  By default only
                    one copy is printed.

          -f        Flip the sense of the bits in files before
                    printing the pixmaps.

          -g        Generate picture in gray instead of color

          -mnum     Magnify each logical page by the factor num. Pages
                    are scaled uniformly about the origin, which by
                    default is located at the center of each page.
                    The default magnification is 1.0.

          -nnum     Print num logical pages on each piece of paper,
                    where num can be any positive integer.  By default
                    num is set to 1.

          -olist    Print pages whose numbers are given in the comma-
                    separated list.  The list contains single numbers
                    N and ranges N1-N2.  A missing N1 means the lowest
                    numbered page, a missing N2 means the highest.

          -pmode    Print files in either portrait or landscape mode.
                    Only the first character of mode is significant.
                    The default mode is portrait.

          -xnum     Translate the origin num inches along the positive
                    x axis.  The default coordinate system has the
                    origin fixed at the center of the page, with
                    positive x to the right and positive y up the
                    page.  Positive num moves everything right.  The
                    default offset is 0 inches.

          -ynum     Translate the origin num inches along the positive
                    y axis.  Positive num moves everything up the
                    page.  The default offset is 0.

          -Lfile    Use file as the PostScript prologue, which by
                    default is /usr/lib/postscript/postgif.ps.

===
In another posting, Chris Lewis says "it would be nice" if
AT&T put all this in public domain. Nice for him, I guess.
Somehow, AT&T doesn't see it that way.

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (12/13/90)

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) writes:

npn> In another posting, Chris Lewis says "it would be nice" if
npn> AT&T put all this in public domain. Nice for him, I guess.
npn> Somehow, AT&T doesn't see it that way.

I didn't read it that way at all, after all what Chris *said* was:

clewis> T'would be nice if AT&T released troff into PD (or redistributable
clewis> copyrighted) then those people who's vendors did notice and dropped
clewis> it could get a troff.  Without paying an arm and a leg, or simply
clewis> being unable to get ANYTHING at all.

clewis> CAT troff with psroff is production quality output, though, of course,
clewis> true ditroff is better because of some of the additional features.

Now, the way I read that, it looks like Chris would be happy if AT&T
released *otroff* under a free redistribution license.

Yes, *otroff*.  It's much easier to justify that to your boss, isn't it?
The way I see it, it goes something like this:

	"Let BSD distribute the otroff (that they already have) but
	 release the 32V strings on it.  People can then use it in
	 conjunction with Chris Lewis' otroff->postcript converter,
	 then 1) we get to retain *roff -man as our manpage format,
	 and 2) People will continue to use *roff.  *Then* when
	 they're well and truly entrenched, and need the extra
	 facilities that DWB buys them, they get to persuade their
	 bosses to fork out for DWB"

This is not so different from how UNIX became popular.  Nils-Peter, please
consider asking your boss about this ?

Looking hard at it, it does look like there are two separate issues,
i) the availability of otroff and ii) the bundling of DWB with AT&T UNIX.

clewis> Well, actually, you could consider CAT troff to be the standard troff
clewis> and DWB 2 & 3 to be minor aberrations...

Heh.  Yes, well.  True enough, but if otroff becomes less and less available,
anytroff loses out completely to TeX (Heaven Forbid!)

Of course these arguments only make sense because Chris chose to make his
otroff->(ditroff|postscript|hp-pcl) converter available without charge.
In the light of that, it would be nice if we didn't mistreat/misquote
him in this newsgroup or anywhere else.  A good chap like that deserves
to be treated well, no ?

--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (12/14/90)

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:

> You will
> also need some sort of troff.  Type:
>     troff
> If it responds with "Typesetter busy", you'll also need psroff from
> alt.sources (you have CAT Troff).

But what if /dev/cat was not busy ?

:-)
--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec14.032040.21863@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
!clewis@ecicrl.UUCP (Chris Lewis) writes:

!> You will
!> also need some sort of troff.  Type:
!>     troff
!> If it responds with "Typesetter busy", you'll also need psroff from
!> alt.sources (you have CAT Troff).

!But what if /dev/cat was not busy ?

!:-)

Hah!  For the uninitiated, that means you have a WANG CAT phototypesetter
(which must mean you work at the Smithsonian ;-), and god help us, it's
available for use!  You *don't* need psroff (a Wang serviceman perhaps. ;-)

As a person who's been inside UNIX for almost 16 years (gawd!) that's
something I've *never* seen...