[comp.text] Polyglot List Issue -- 8859-1 doesn't cover everything

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (01/16/91)

gisle@ifi.uio.no (Gisle Hannemyr) writes:
>>   6) Latin-1 does indeed cover all of Western Europe, but does <<not>>
>>     cover Greek, and therefore does not cover all the EEC.
>
>Latin-1 (ISO 8859/1) does NOT cover "lappish", which is a minority language
>used by the Lapps in Norway, Sweden and Finland.  [...]

My understanding is that it covers all of the Official National Languages
which use the Latin alphabet.  I am told that it does not cover Welsh either,
for example (missing a {w bar} I think).

It doesn't cover Middle or Old English either, for that matter.

That doesn't mean that it's not useful, although it does mean that there
will be people who won't find it so.

One wouldn't expect it to cover Greek, or any other non-Latin language,
although it was good to point out that Greek is not covered.

Lee
--
Liam R. E. Quin,  lee@sq.com, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto, +1 (416) 963-8337