[comp.text] ISO 8859 terminals?

tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) (01/25/91)

Does anybody know of any commercially available ISO 8859 terminals?
My Sun-4 running SunOS 4.1 is ISO 8859-1 compliant, but I'm wondering
if dumb terminals are available, and if these other 8859 standards
have been implemented:

ISO     familiar
std.    name      coverage         status
----    ----      --------	   ------
8859-1  Latin-1   Western Europe   International Standard
8859-2  Latin-2   Eastern Europe   International Standard
8859-3  Latin-3   Southern Europe  International Standard
8859-4  Latin-4   Scandinavia      International Standard
8859-5  Cyrillic  Slavic countries Approved, not published
8859-6  Arabic    Arab countries   International Standard
8859-7  Greek     Greece           International Standard
8859-8  Hebrew    Israel           Approved, not published
8859-9  Latin-5   8859-3 + Turkey  Proposed

DLV@CUNYVMS1.BITNET (01/25/91)

I've written a hack that adds code pages for ISO parts 1--5 and 9 (latin's -1
thru -5 and cyrillic) to PCs with EGA or VGA display controllers running MS-DOS
3.3 or later. The Cyrillic part was written first and is sitting on SIMTEL20 as
<MSDOS.SCREEN>CYRILIC2.ARC. I haven't written keyboard drivers for latin's yet,
which is why they're not floating around; but folks who want to experiment with
display-only :) code pages can ask me and I'll e-mail the display part to them.

To correct what Bill Tuthill said, all these parts of 8859 have passed and are
ISO standards, now DIS's. More parts (latin-6 and latin-7) are in the works.
aspects of 8859.

Dimitri Vulis
CUNY GC Math

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (01/25/91)

In article <6556@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:

>Does anybody know of any commercially available ISO 8859 terminals?
>My Sun-4 running SunOS 4.1 is ISO 8859-1 compliant, but I'm wondering
>if dumb terminals are available, and if these other 8859 standards
>have been implemented:

DEC's VT3xx and VT4xx terminals (and their clones) implements ISO 8859/1.
There may be versions of them that implements other ISO 8859 character
sets as well.

DEC's VT2xx terminals implements the DEC Multinational character set,
which is based on an early draft of ISO 8859/1 (about 10 characters
differs).

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se