[comp.text] ms macro

kmeek@cti1.UUCP (Kevin Meek) (02/26/91)

I am trying to print out some documentation that was written
using the troff -ms macros.

When I run troff with the -ms flag  I get:

troff: cannot open file /usr/lib/tmac/tmac.s

Sounds to me like I'm missing the s macro set.

Is this a standard macro??  Is it freely available anywhere?

I would especially be interested in sites accesable via mail.

I don't have ftp access.

Thanks

Kevin

--
Kevin Meek
kmeek@cti.com

In article <453@cti1.UUCP> kmeek@cti1.UUCP (Kevin Meek) writes:
>Sounds to me like I'm missing the s macro set.

Yup.

>Is this a standard macro??  Is it freely available anywhere?

It's reasonably standard, but it is AT&T licensed software and is not
freely available.

We ship an emulation for a small subset of -ms with C News (doc/tmac.cn).
Awf (comp.sources.unix last summer) also supports a subset of -ms.  I'm
not aware of anything more complete.
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

molenda@s1.msi.umn.edu (Jason Molenda) (02/27/91)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>We ship an emulation for a small subset of -ms with C News (doc/tmac.cn).
>Awf (comp.sources.unix last summer) also supports a subset of -ms.  I'm
>not aware of anything more complete.

I believe the groff package from the GNU folks contains a complete
-ms emulation.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but
I believe it will only work with their gtroff program, so
you'll need to install the whole thing to get it to work...
--
More information that you couldn't have existed another day without, from:
Jason Molenda, Tech Support, Iris & News Admin, Minnesota Supercomputer Inst

rstevens@noao.edu (Rich Stevens) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.173033.14561@zoo.toronto.edu> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>We ship an emulation for a small subset of -ms with C News (doc/tmac.cn).
>Awf (comp.sources.unix last summer) also supports a subset of -ms.  I'm
>not aware of anything more complete.

There is now a complete (minus Bell Labs-specific macros) implementation
of -ms with GNU groff version 1.00.  It only works with groff, but it
does look complete.

	Rich Stevens

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (03/01/91)

henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

> We ship an emulation for a small subset of -ms with C News (doc/tmac.cn).
> Awf (comp.sources.unix last summer) also supports a subset of -ms.  I'm
> not aware of anything more complete.

groff has a -ms clone that's apparently complete, but unfortunately
it's written using groff-specific features, and thus will only
run under groff, which is not unreasonable, but possibly a little unfortunate.

--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)