[comp.text] ISO 8859-1

tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) (02/28/91)

Does the ISO 8859 standard designate any function or behavior
for control codes between hex 80 and 9F?  Are they supposed to be
just like the control codes between hex 00 and 1F, except with
the 8th bit turned on?  My 8859 sample pages just show gray boxes
in all these positions, and the Unicode standard just has CTRL
in boxes 80-9F (though it has specific names in 00-1F).

Here's my /usr/pub/iso file, uuencoded to avoid damage by sendmail.

begin 644 iso
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$_R!\"B#Z

end

keld@login.dkuug.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen) (03/01/91)

tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:

>Does the ISO 8859 standard designate any function or behavior
>for control codes between hex 80 and 9F?  Are they supposed to be
>just like the control codes between hex 00 and 1F, except with
>the 8th bit turned on?  My 8859 sample pages just show gray boxes
>in all these positions, and the Unicode standard just has CTRL
>in boxes 80-9F (though it has specific names in 00-1F).

There is another standard for control codes, namely ISO 6429:1988,
which defines these control characters. No they are different
from 00 - 1f.

Keld Simonsen

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (03/01/91)

In article <8775@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) writes:

>Does the ISO 8859 standard designate any function or behavior
>for control codes between hex 80 and 9F?  Are they supposed to be
>just like the control codes between hex 00 and 1F, except with
>the 8th bit turned on?  My 8859 sample pages just show gray boxes
>in all these positions, and the Unicode standard just has CTRL
>in boxes 80-9F (though it has specific names in 00-1F).

Even if ISO 8859-1 doesn't, there's probably some other standard that
does. For example, the control codes in the 80-9F range includes functions
such as "New Line" (NEL), "Down" (IND), "Up" (RI), "Device control string"
(DCS) and "Control sequence introducer" (CSI).

--
Robert Claeson

Disclaimer: I represent myself and not my employer.

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (03/02/91)

In article <8775@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, Bill Tuthill writes:

   Does the ISO 8859 standard designate any function or behavior
   for control codes between hex 80 and 9F?  Are they supposed to be
   just like the control codes between hex 00 and 1F, except with
   the 8th bit turned on?  My 8859 sample pages just show gray boxes
   in all these positions, and the Unicode standard just has CTRL
   in boxes 80-9F (though it has specific names in 00-1F).

ISO 8859 only covers the areas named G0 and G1 in ISO 2022, according
to the specifications in ISO 4873.  Control codes are found in C0 and
C1.  C0 is specified in ISO 646 and further qualified in ISO 2022.
You will find a complete set of definitions for the control characters
in C1 in ISO 6429.

C1 contains at least Single-Shift 2 (SS2) [08/14] and Single-Shift 3
(SS3) [08/15] defined in ISO 2022 and ISO 4873.  ISO DIS 10646
introduces three control characters in C1: PAD [08/00], Single Graphic
Character Introducer (SGCI) [09/09], High Octet Preset (HOP) [08/01].
There exists a New Line control character in C1, the code for which I
don't know, not having received my copy of ISO 6429, yet.

-------