[comp.text] grap

ecf_csak@attu3g.JHU.EDU (Steve Klenda) (10/06/88)

I created several graphs with the grap utility of DWB 2.0 to include in a
document.  Each of the graphs printed properly by themselves,
but when they were included in the text only the first
graph printed correctly.  The second, and all subsequent graphs were
badly mangled - the axis did not print out and the lines, etc. were
compressed into a small, illegible blob.  I even tried running the
graphs through grap and pic first, and then doing a .so to them in the
troff file.  The problem still occurred when I appended a copy
of a graph to itself, so that nothing was in the file but two copies
of

.G1
grap commands
.G2

A single copy of the same graph printed just fine.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Any known fixes or am I
just overlooking something obvious?
-------
-Steve Klenda
 ecf_csak@attu3g.hcf.jhu.edu

ecf_csak@attu3g.JHU.EDU (Steve Klenda) (10/16/88)

In article <168@attu3g.JHU.EDU> ecf_csak@attu3g.JHU.EDU (Steve Klenda) writes:
>Each of the graphs printed properly by themselves,
>but when they were included in the text only the first
>graph printed correctly.  The second, and all subsequent graphs were
>badly mangled...

Thanks to Eric Wilson of Bell Communications Research, who pointed out
the problem.  Each graph was followed by a key which was created with PIC.
Since it was easier to work in points than in inches, the "scale=" command
was used to change the default scale.  This carried over to
subsequent GRAP input.  Since GRAP generates distances based upon the
defualt scale, which had been changed by PIC, the output was mangled.

Placing a

.PS
scale=1;
.PE

before each grap .G1 solved the problem.  Of course if GRAP reset the
scale to the defualt, as it should, then this fix wouldn't be
necessary.

Steve Klenda

ron@mlfarm.com (Ronald Florence) (03/10/91)

Is there a public domain implementation of grap?  If so, I'd
appreciate information on where it is available by anonymous uucp,
ftp, or mail server.  Thanks.
--

Ronald Florence			ron@mlfarm.com