[comp.text] and nroff

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (03/09/91)

[ Why or why are people still cross-posting comp.sys.3b1 and
comp.sys.att?  I've changed that to comp.text which is far more
relevant, though comp.graphics may also be appropriate. ]

In article <1181@hico2.UUCP> kak@hico2.UUCP (Kris A. Kugel) writes:
> What *I'd* like is the program that looks like "MacPaint" or Cheapdraw
> and outputs PIC language graphics so I can include them in my documents.
> I was hoping Hans Jespersen (was: hjespersen@lion.uwaterloo.ca) would
> port or post a version of this tool that runs on the blit terminals

What you are talking about is cip (or the newer xcip), which is indeed
a mouse-driven, menued, object oriented, graphics drawing package,
which does indeed spit out PIC.

I kind of doubt Hans can post a port of cip or xcip, since they are
licensed AT&T software.

However, anyone can buy them from the AT&T Toolchest for a very low
price.  They come in source form, and are part of the 630-pkg.

There's also a new package for the X Window System (Open Look) called
Picasso.  I'm not sure how one would get this without also getting
DWB-3.1.
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (03/12/91)

To confirm Greg Woods' conjecture:
Picasso is an X Window System (OPEN LOOK GUI) application
for creating pic files or PostScript. You use the mouse
to draw rectangles, circles, ellipses, text, etc.;
alternatively, (or alternately for that matter) you can
edit the ASCII file directly as you would with pic.
Picasso has enhanced basic pic considerably (color,
gray scale, rotation, object scaling, etc.) so it's not
always possible to stream Picasso files back through pic.

Picasso is sold as a source product by USL. Binary versions
are currently available only inside AT&T. It is a tribute to
the OPEN LOOK developers that Picasso has successfully been
installed with no extra effort on our part on the Sun 4,
AT&T 6386, AT&T 3B2, Pyramid/AT&T System 7000.

A batch ("box; arrow; circle") version of Picasso is included
with the DWB 3.1 release.

For those familiar with xcip and cip, think of Picasso as
cip with color and all the bugs fixed.

We'd be delighted to work with any VAR that wants to distribute
binary (hint, hint, hint, ...)