[comp.text] troff

hermann@crin.crin.fr (Miki HERMANN) (08/04/88)

In article <463@Aragorn.dde.uucp> tpo@dde.uucp (Thomas P.S. Olesen) writes:

>I have heard of a troff macro package for music printing.
>Is there any body, who know any thing about it.
>
>What is it called ?
>Is it public domain ?
>If yes , where can I get it ?

I would be interested in such a product as well but would prefer a
(La)TeX package.

Please, E-mail.

Miki HERMANN
Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy
e-mail:  hermann@crin.crin.fr
post:    CRIN, B.P. 239, F-54506 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy Cedex, FRANCE
phone:   +33  83.91.20.00 ext(poste) 30.59

droege@infko.UUCP (Detlev Droege) (08/05/88)

In article <580@crin.crin.fr>, hermann@crin.crin.fr (Miki HERMANN) writes:
> In article <463@Aragorn.dde.uucp> tpo@dde.uucp (Thomas P.S. Olesen) writes:
> >
> >I have heard of a troff macro package for music printing.
> >Is there any body, who know any thing about it.
>
> I would be interested in such a product as well but would prefer a
> (La)TeX package.

A music printing package for TeX has been developped at
the Univ. of Bonn (West Germany) as a master thesis.

It uses own fonts (made by METAFONT, of course) and the
results are really nice. It was nearly finished, when Eric Foxley's
article appeared in CACM.

I got a preliminary version, where the input language processor
isn't included. The work should be done by now.
I'll contact Bonn and will report here.

	Detlev
--
Detlev Droege, Univ. of Koblenz (EWH), Dept. of Computer Sience,
	       Rheinau 3-4, D-5400 Koblenz  (West Germany)

simpson@minotaur.uucp (Scott Simpson) (08/05/88)

In article <580@crin.crin.fr> hermann@crin.crin.fr (Miki HERMANN) writes:
>In article <463@Aragorn.dde.uucp> tpo@dde.uucp (Thomas P.S. Olesen) writes:
>>
>>I have heard of a troff macro package for music printing.
>>Is there any body, who know any thing about it.
>>
>>What is it called ?
>>Is it public domain ?
>>If yes , where can I get it ?
>

>I would be interested in such a product as well but would prefer a
>(La)TeX package.

I have a document by John Renner (adobe!renner@decwrl.dec.com) called
"TeXtyl: a line-drawing interface for TeX" that mentions music typesetting.
In the introduction is the statement "Advanced features of TeXtyl are for
MusiCopy, the music-typesetting project at the Ohio State University[7],
namely typesetting ties, slurs, and beams."  The [7] references

	John S. Gourlay, "A Language for Music Printing." Communications of
	the ACM 29 5, (May 1986), pp. 388-401.

Hope this helps!
	Scott Simpson
	TRW Space and Defense Sector
	oberon!trwarcadia!simpson  		(UUCP)
	trwarcadia!simpson@oberon.usc.edu	(Internet)

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (01/26/89)

As you might already know, DWB 2.0 preprocessors like eqn and pic
do not look at the DESC.out file for the device characteristics.
Instead, the supported devices (default only aps and i10) are listed
in the source with their resolution.

[ If you didn't know, just stop reading here a few seconds and cry !!! :-( ]

Troff itself does read it, I think (I hope...).

Does anyone having patches for DWB 2.0 so that the DESC.out file is
read everywhere where it should be?

There also seems to be a problem with the mmt command: only aps and i10
devices result in automatically calling the appropriate postprocessor
(as is suggested by the manual page). For other devices the postprocessor
d<devicename> should also automatically be invoked.

Also a patch for this behaviour would be nice...

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######

dave@cadzooks.com (Dave Plunkett) (03/15/91)

I've got a Sun and a HP Laserjet III.  Troff supplied with the Sun
generates CAT commands.  Is there a product which will turn this
directly into HPPL?  If not, what's the cheapest way to get nicely
formated troff printed on my laserjet?

Please respond via e-mail.  I'll post a summary.

Dave Plunkett                         CadZooks, Inc.
dave@CadZooks.Com                     1007 Pearl St. Suite 280
uunet!stan!cadzooks!dave              Boulder, CO 80302
                                      (303) 938-1000