[comp.text] [T]PIC tutorial, anyone ?

lwj@cs.kun.nl (Luc Rooijakkers) (03/01/91)

I have recently obtained Gnu PIC, but it's documentation is rather
scarce: it only lists differences from regular PIC / TPIC. Can anyone
point me at some kind of tutorial or reference document for PIC ?
Thanks in advance.

--
Luc Rooijakkers                                 Internet: lwj@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science     UUCP: uunet!cs.kun.nl!lwj

rstevens@noao.edu (Rich Stevens) (03/02/91)

The best manual I've seen to date on pic is by Brian Kernighan in
the 10th Edition manuals, Volume II.  It's about 25 pages and
is an update to the similar manual that came with the DWB 2.0
documentation.  The new manual, however, is closer to the groff
pic than the old DWB manual.

Unfortunately, you need to buy at least the entire Volume II of
the 10th edition manual set to get this 25 pages.  Saunders College
Publishing publishes the 10th edition manuals.  The ISBN for
Volume II is 0-03-047529-5.  They were having a special last
summer -- both volumes for $45, but I don't know if that's still
on or not.  Volume II by itself is listed at $33.95.  The only
number I have for their order department is 1-800-782-4479, which
probably doesn't help you too much in Europe.

	Rich Stevens  (rstevens@noao.edu)

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (03/11/91)

Luc> I have recently obtained Gnu PIC, but it's documentation is rather
Luc> scarce: it only lists differences from regular PIC / TPIC. Can anyone
Luc> point me at some kind of tutorial or reference document for PIC ?

The manual I have is

@TechReport{kernighan:pic,
  author = 	"Brian W. Kernighan",
  title = 	"{PIC}---A Graphics Language for Typesetting (Revised
		 User Manual)",
  institution = 	"{AT\&T} Bell Laboratories",
  year = 	"1984",
  type = 	"Computer Science Techincal Report",
  number = 	"No.\ 116",
  address = 	"Murray Hill, New Jersey 07974, USA",
  month = 	"December",
}

Don't know if it's still available.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Erst kommt das Fressen, dann die Moral
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. |             - B. Brecht

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (03/12/91)

You will find excellent tutorials as well as complete
reference material in:

UNIX Research System Papers, Tenth Edition Volume II
ISBN 0-03-047529-5
Saunders College Publishing

All articles are written by the folks who wrote the code,
so they should know.  Documentation is for Research Unix;
everything said about pic, grap, tbl, -ms, -mpm, troff
is also true for DWB 3.1 and 3.2,  However, we cannot
guarantee it applies to groff, sqtroff, BSD troff, or
any other version.
The book itself was produced using -mpm.

ttl@sti.fi (Timo Lehtinen) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar12.151103.24407@cbnewsl.att.com> npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) writes:

>You will find excellent tutorials as well as complete
>reference material in:
>
>UNIX Research System Papers, Tenth Edition Volume II
>ISBN 0-03-047529-5
>Saunders College Publishing
>
>All articles are written by the folks who wrote the code,
>so they should know.  Documentation is for Research Unix;
>everything said about pic, grap, tbl, -ms, -mpm, troff
>is also true for DWB 3.1 and 3.2,  However, we cannot
>guarantee it applies to groff, sqtroff, BSD troff, or
>any other version.
>The book itself was produced using -mpm.

How can one get a copy of this?

ttl

--
       ____/ ___   ___/    /		Kivihaantie 8 C 25
      /           /       /		SF-00310 HELSINKI, Finland