[comp.text] Problem with SGML-parser

hakanl@lulea.telesoft.se (H}kan Lennest}l) (03/20/91)

We got the SGML-parser sgml/sgml.cpio from swe.ncsl.nist.gov.
Does anyone know anything about it ?
It is completly free from documentation, and is not exactly selfexplaining...

Any help on this would be appreciated!

/H}kan Lennest}l (hakanl@lulea.telesoft.se)

lark@greylock.tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman) (03/22/91)

In article <3635@lulea.telesoft.se>, hakanl@lulea.telesoft.se (H}kan
Lennest}l) writes:
> We got the SGML-parser sgml/sgml.cpio from swe.ncsl.nist.gov.
> Does anyone know anything about it ?
> It is completly free from documentation, and is not exactly selfexplaining...
>
> Any help on this would be appreciated!
>
> /H}kan Lennest}l (hakanl@lulea.telesoft.se)

I believe this is a parser developed as a proof-of-concept by John Copeland of
Image Network.  It was developed to convert SGML to xroff; xroff is a fairly
orthodox implementation of ditroff.  This is not a commercial product,
so don't
impose on John's professional services by seeking support of this package.  I
think development took place on Unix SVR3.2 (or the equivalent- UMAX V?).

I would be interested in getting my hands on this package - - I don't have
ftp capabilities at this time.  Can someone carve it up and send me the
re-assemblable pieces?

I would be interested in working with people to use this as a starting point
for developing a usable SGML parsing tool.  My greatest contribution could
be in testing and documentation.

-lar

Lar Kaufman            I would feel more optimistic about a bright future
(voice) 512-794-9070   for man if he spent less time proving that he can
(fax)   512-794-0623   outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness
lark@tivoli.com        and respecting her seniority.  - E.B. White