[comp.text] Concordance Generators

eederavi@cybaswan.UUCP (Farzin Deravi) (03/21/91)

I am looking for software to generate a concordance from an English
text. The text is already in machine readable form (ASCII).
I would prefer a public domain product running under UNIX or DOS.
I have used the Oxford Concordance Programme (OCP) but I feel
there MUST be something better than this out there.

Please let me know if you have any information in this area.
And please (also) write to me directly.

                                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dr F. Deravi,                    | UUCP  : ...!ukc!pyr.swan.ac.uk!eederavi|
Lecturer,                        | JANET : eederavi@uk.ac.swan.pyr        |
Electrical Engineering Dept.,    | voice : +44 792 295583                 |
University of Wales,             | Fax   : +44 792 295686                 |
Swansea, SA2 8PP                 | Telex : 48149 UICS G                   |
United Kingdom.                  |        GreenNet      gn:f1deravi       |
                                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

tut@cairo.Eng.Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) (03/29/91)

In article <2407@cybaswan.UUCP>, eederavi@cybaswan.UUCP (Farzin Deravi) writes:
> I am looking for software to generate a concordance from an English text.
> I would prefer a public domain product running under UNIX or DOS.  I have
> used the Oxford Concordance Programme but I feel there MUST be something
> better than this out there.

I wrote a concordance package called Hum while studying at UC Berkeley.
Hum is public domain, written in C, and runs on Unix.  Having never used
OCP, I can't say whether Hum is better or worse, but reports indicate
Hum is faster.  OCP was written in Fortran, which used to be more widely
available than C (interesting how things change).  Brian MacWhinney of
CMU has ported Hum to DOS.

I'd be happy to bundle up the C/Unix version for anybody who wants it.
You'll have to compile yourself.  I have no control over the DOS version,
and don't know about availability or cost.  Hum/Unix is free.

Bill

koontz@cam.nist.gov (John E. Koontz X5180) (03/30/91)

In article <2407@cybaswan.UUCP>, eederavi@cybaswan.UUCP (Farzin Deravi) writes:
> I am looking for software to generate a concordance from an English text.
> I would prefer a public domain product running under UNIX or DOS.  I have
> used the Oxford Concordance Programme but I feel there MUST be something
> better than this out there.

There is a very good DOS concordance package called TACT, available, from
a Canadian university.  I've forgotten all the particulars, but if Mr.
Deravi will mail me a reminder with an Internet return address, I will
look them up and send them to him.  The package is menu-driven and has
good features for working with garden variety non-ASCII character sets,
as well as English.  It can do searches with regular expressions, too,
which is a very nice feature.  The price was $25 US, which is essentially
the cost of the manual plus shipping and handling.  The package is otherwise
public domain (with some restrictions).