[comp.text] Clever Quotes

jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) (04/05/91)

Here is a somewhat unique request.  I need to give brief description of what
I do as a Tech Writer to a group of government folks.  I am looking for
an interesting/humorous quote that I can use to open this talk.

I would prefer it to be a phrase that is descriptive of the "joys" of
technical writing.

Any ideas?
                                       _                  _
                                      ( )                ( )
                                  /\__/~\-/______________/~\-/_/\
                                 |   ----/-----sawyer-------/-   |
   _______________________________\_____/__________________/____/_____________
  |Jeff Sorvik (jps@msc.edu)      | "He is no fool who gives up that which    |
  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center | he cannot keep for that which he cannot   |
  |Telephone: (612) 626-1659      | lose."                                    |
  |Fax      : (612) 624-6550      |                     -Jim Elliot           |

tomc@modcomp.uucp (Tom Cianflone) (04/08/91)

jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) writes:
>Here is a somewhat unique request.  I need to give brief description of what
>I do as a Tech Writer to a group of government folks.  I am looking for
>an interesting/humorous quote that I can use to open this talk.

As a tech writer myself, here are a few of my favorite quotes about writing:

"Doctors bury their mistakes; the architect can always urge his client to
plant vines; but the writer publishes his mistakes."   --Ernest Hemingway

"A man's grammar, like Caesar's wife, must not only be
pure, but above suspicion of impurity." --Edgar Allan Poe

And this from Strunk & White's "The Elements of Style":

	"The mind travels faster than the pen; consequently,
	writing becomes a question of learning to make occasional
	wing shots, bringing down the bird of thought as it flashes by.
	A writer is a gunner, sometimes waiting in his blind for
	something to come in, sometimes roaming the countryside hoping
	to scare something up."
--
Regards, Tom Cianflone
<uunet!modcomp!tomc> -or- <modcomp!tomc@uunet.uu.net>