[comp.text] troff & columns

ccs029@underdog.ucdavis.edu (Val Luck) (04/08/91)

Hello:

I have a large textfile I print on a unix machine to a laser printer by:

troff -ms -t filename | lpr

which works fine.  Is there a way I coulg get this in two column output?
Piping throuh "col" didn't work either...  Any suggestions?

Please email any results..

--Val
|------|    _|___|_     Internet:           **      Today is the tomorrow
|------|   ---------                        **            yesterday.

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (04/10/91)

In article <12659@aggie.ucdavis.edu> ccs029@underdog.ucdavis.edu (Val Luck) writes:
>Hello:
>
>I have a large textfile I print on a unix machine to a laser printer by:
>
>troff -ms -t filename | lpr
>
>which works fine.  Is there a way I coulg get this in two column output?
>Piping throuh "col" didn't work either...  Any suggestions?

Do you want two columns in your troff output, or two *pages* on each page
of output.  These are two different things.  The former can be done by
macros in the -ms set, and the latter needs extra software.  If you're
using Postscript, "psnup" (recently appeared in comp.sources.misc) may
do what you want.  Psnup was recently posted in comp.sources.misc.
You'd have to modify your print spooler to get psnup to work in your
environment.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca