[comp.text] Creating 2 column documents in -roff

gerwitz@Kodak.com (Paul Gerwitz) (04/30/91)

I would like to format a document in two column format similar to what you
might find in a computer science journal.  I though maybe 'tbl' would do
the trick, but now I wonder if their might be a better way.  Any
suggestions ??

 | Paul F Gerwitz  WA2WPI  | SMTP: gerwitz@kodak.com                          |
 | Eastman Kodak Co        | UUCP: ..uunet!atexnet!kodak!eastman!gerwitz      |

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (04/30/91)

The .2C macro in -ms and -mm, both included with DWB 3.1,
produce 2 column output. The Tutorial in the troff
documentation for DWB 3.1 includes a 20-line implementation.
You most assuredly can't use tbl unless you read left-to-right
across columns. I assume you want readers to read all of
column 1 before starting column 2.

doug@letni.lonestar.org (Doug Davis) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr29.210724.5436@cbnewsl.att.com> npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) plugs his employers overpriced product yet again:

>The .2C macro in -ms and -mm, both included with DWB 3.1,
>produce 2 column output. The Tutorial in the troff
>documentation for DWB 3.1 includes a 20-line implementation.

>You most assuredly can't use tbl unless you read left-to-right
>across columns.

BZZZZT! Ding! Sorry you lose, thank you for playing our game. For our
consulation prize today we have here a quick and dirty example of using
tbl to do multi-column text.  Of course the borders are optional
equipment and your milage may vary.

.TS
doublebox;
lw(3i)|lw(3i).
T{
This is a test of the national broadcasting system.
This is a test of the national broadcasting system.
This is a test of the national broadcasting system.
This is a test of the national broadcasting system.
This is a test of the national broadcasting system.
T}	T{
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
T}
.TE

__
Doug Davis/4409 Sarazen/Mesquite Texas, 75150/214-270-9226
{texsun|lawnet|smu}!letni!doug     doug@letni.lonestar.org

                                                              "Be seeing you..."

bamford@cbnewsd.att.com (harold.e.bamford) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.175357.8066@letni.lonestar.org>
doug@letni.lonestar.org (Doug Davis) takes a poke at DWB 3.1
without thinking things through.

Basically, somebody wanted 2 column mode.  Nils-Peter Nelson
(correctly) pointed out that DWB 3.1 provides this capability and
he also pointed out that tbl was inadequate for 2 column output:

>>The .2C macro in -ms and -mm, both included with DWB 3.1,
>>produce 2 column output. The Tutorial in the troff
>>documentation for DWB 3.1 includes a 20-line implementation.
>
>>You most assuredly can't use tbl unless you read left-to-right
>>across columns.

Doug Davis replies with this sneer:

>BZZZZT! Ding! Sorry you lose, thank you for playing our game. For our
>consulation prize today we have here a quick and dirty example of using
>tbl to do multi-column text.

... simplistic case deleted ...

If you want a multipage document with 2 columns throughout, then
tbl is the wrong way to go.  If there is too much in the first
table entry to fit in the first column of the first page, it does
indeed overflow into the second column.  But then on the next page,
only the 2nd column is shown (with the rest of the first table
entry!), and it continues until the first  table item is finished.
Then only the first column is shown for as many pages as are
needed.  Further, the box only shows up on the first and last pages
(though this might be different depending on the version of tbl
being used).

If you knew the placement of the table on the page and knew exactly
how much to put in each table entry so as to fill exactly 1 column,
then you could use tbl for 2 column output.  Kinda tedious and
defeats the whole purpose of having a computer format the document
for you.  It also means that you cannot have tables (formatted by
tbl, that is) in your document.

I don't remember the details of the original request, but the .2C
macro is also available in older versions of DWB in -mm and -ms.

-- Harold Bamford

zjae0b@trc.amoco.com (Jenni A. Etgen) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr30.175357.8066@letni.lonestar.org> doug@letni.lonestar.org (Doug Davis) writes:
>In article <1991Apr29.210724.5436@cbnewsl.att.com> npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) plugs his employers overpriced product yet again:
>
>>The .2C macro in -ms and -mm, both included with DWB 3.1,
>>produce 2 column output. The Tutorial in the troff
>>documentation for DWB 3.1 includes a 20-line implementation.
>
>>You most assuredly can't use tbl unless you read left-to-right
>>across columns.
>
>BZZZZT! Ding! Sorry you lose, thank you for playing our game. For our
>consulation prize today we have here a quick and dirty example of using
>tbl to do multi-column text.  Of course the borders are optional
>equipment and your milage may vary.
>
>.TS
>doublebox;
>lw(3i)|lw(3i).
>T{
>This is a test of the national broadcasting system.
>This is a test of the national broadcasting system.
>This is a test of the national broadcasting system.
>This is a test of the national broadcasting system.
>This is a test of the national broadcasting system.
>T}	T{
>Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
>Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
>Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
>Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
>Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
>Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
>Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
>Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
>Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
>Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their filesystems.
>T}
>.TE
>

>__
>Doug Davis/4409 Sarazen/Mesquite Texas, 75150/214-270-9226
>{texsun|lawnet|smu}!letni!doug     doug@letni.lonestar.org
>
>                                                              "Be seeing you..."

tbl will work IF the 2 columns are totally separate text, however
IF the text just needs to flow from the first column to the second
tbl CAN NOT handle this,  also tbl has a limit on the number of text
blocks you can use.  in this case the only way to handle this
 with a pre-existing macro is with the .2C macro in mm or ms or write
your own macro this I have done since I have some very special cases
with 2 or more columns.

Jenni Etgen
zjae0b@trc.amoco.com
918-660-3392