[net.periphs] Optical disk computer storage?

azevedo@lll-crg.ARPA (Stephen Azevedo) (02/20/85)

	Does anyone out there know about the availability of optical
or laser disk storage for mini or micro computers?  What I am looking
for is reliable write-once storage for an inspection system with maybe
10 to 20 Giga-byte of on-line reference image information.  I realize
optical disks or compact disks exist, but are there controllers for
these beasts that plug into some standard bus on some kind of computer
with some kind of driver at some reasonable price?
	The largest Winchester disks I've heard of so far are the new
700 Mbyte (Fujitsu) Eagles so I'm not wild about using magnet disks for
this application.  Also, the automatic tape libraries are too slow and
bulky for what we need.  Am I missing something else?  Thank you in
advance for your help -- I'll be glad to re-post what I find.

			Steve Azevedo (azevedo@lll-crg.arpa)

tim@conejo.UUCP (James T. Kehres) (02/24/85)

In article <398@lll-crg.ARPA> azevedo@lll-crg.ARPA (Stephen Azevedo) writes:

>	Does anyone out there know about the availability of optical
>or laser disk storage for mini or micro computers?  What I am looking
>for is reliable write-once storage for an inspection system with maybe
>10 to 20 Giga-byte of on-line reference image information.  I realize
>optical disks or compact disks exist, but are there controllers for
>these beasts that plug into some standard bus on some kind of computer
>with some kind of driver at some reasonable price?
>	The largest Winchester disks I've heard of so far are the new
>700 Mbyte (Fujitsu) Eagles so I'm not wild about using magnet disks for
>this application.  Also, the automatic tape libraries are too slow and
>bulky for what we need.  Am I missing something else?  Thank you in
>advance for your help -- I'll be glad to re-post what I find.
>
>			Steve Azevedo (azevedo@lll-crg.arpa)

You might try looking at Hitachi's 301 series optical disk subsystems.  They
were showing two units at the December Comdex show.  I believe that the
IEEE-488 interface is available for the drive, making interfacing to most
computers possible.  One bad point (other than the interface) would be the
access time (average = 0.25 secones).  Below is an excerpt from their
literature:

"The 301 will be available in two configurations.  The basic configuration
combines a formatter controller with from one to four disk units, providing
up to 2.6 gigabytes of storage per disk.  The library configuration offers up
to 80 gigabytes of storage.  It incorporates a formatter controller with
powerful, user-friendly software, one or two disk units, and an automatic
changer for up to 32 disk cartridges"

Tim Kehres						Conejo Office Systems
							San Jose,  California
{amd,intelca,nsc,sun,pesnta,twg}!conejo!tim		(408) 286-5170

allgair@fritz.UUCP (Ed Allgair) (02/27/85)

Hitachi's 301 series drives were mentioned for use in a storage library
with automatic changer, software, etc. We build a version of this, as well
as related equipment. To avoid making a sales article out of this, I will
forward any mail (either kind) to our Sales/Marketing cats for further
response by US mail.

USnail: Ed Allgair
        FileNet Corporation
        3530 Hyland Avenue