[comp.text] Xroff -- Request for Comments/Gripes

tsmith@solbourne.com (Terry Smith) (05/03/91)

Any Xroff users out there?

We're currently using eroff, but want to evaluate Xroff.
It looks like any other roff to me, but with a few X-named
scripts doing some of the work. I don't see any real
connection to X Windows other than it has a previewer that
runs in an xterm.

Any experiences out there?  I'll post a summary of responses.

--
f--u----cn-----rd---ths------u--cn--gt----a----gd--jb
Terry Smith             Solbourne Computer, Inc

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.163405.23681@solbourne.com>
	tsmith@solbourne.com (Terry Smith) writes:
>Any Xroff users out there?

The Image Network folks were kind enough to let me eval a copy of
xroff when I was DWB shopping.  I ended up selecting eroff, but I've
got nice things to say about the Image Network people and the xroff
product.

>We're currently using eroff, but want to evaluate Xroff.  It looks like
>any other roff to me, but with a few X-named scripts doing some of the work.
>I don't see any real connection to X Windows other than it has a previewer
>that runs in an xterm.

First, you are right, the Image Network xroff program has no relation
to the X Window Pig(tm).  xroff is their port of DWB.  I tested it
out on a plain vanilla XENIX/386 box.

I like xroff.  It and Elan seemed to be the two most robust DWB's I
looked at.  Xroff also included a nice set of fonts - from DigiFont
I believe.  I'd kill to be able to have a copy of the `Palatino' font
Image Network ships.  The HP Palacio is a poor substitute.  (I'll
leave my story of how the DigiFont sales prevention people kept me
from doing business with them for another time.)

The thing which was a total knock-out punch for xroff is the fact that
the backend is not ditroff compatible - nor was it documented.
Therefore, if you've got any tools for printer handling, fonts, etc.
they are useless.  I needed this capability, and thus xroff was rendered
unusable for my needs.

xroff is similar in capability (and unfortunately price) to Elan eroff.
All the preprocessors (pic, tbl, etc.) are there.  If not for the
proprietary backend, the choice between eroff and xroff would probably
have been a coin flip.  I think I would have ended up picking xroff
because of the fonts.

BTW...why are you looking to drop eroff?

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |
Unicom Systems Development    |    I saw Elvis in my wtmp file.

jenkins@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov (Steve Jenkins) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May3.163405.23681@solbourne.com> tsmith@solbourne.com (Terry Smith) writes:
>Any Xroff users out there?

When I was working on my dissertation in 1987, I had a hell of a time
with xroff on eqn expressions like 'roman Q dot'.  I finally figured
out that Image Network hadn't implemented the ct numeric register that
tells about character height and depth.  After I had spent some time
debugging and constructing a workaround, I called Image Network and
heard something to the effect of "oh, so *that's* why that doesn't
work".  They didn't think ct was used anyplace, so they didn't put the
information into the font files.

It may be a fine product now, so draw your own conclusions.  I use LaTeX :-).

--
Steve Jenkins N6UNI			jenkins@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Caltech/Jet Propulsion Laboratory	(818) 354-0162

woods@eci386.uucp (Greg A. Woods) (05/08/91)

In article <1983@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> In article <1991May3.163405.23681@solbourne.com>
> 	tsmith@solbourne.com (Terry Smith) writes:
> >Any Xroff users out there?

I'm not an Xroff user, so you might want to take my comments in
stride.  I do however have extensive (user) experience with V7-troff,
DWB-1.0, DWB-2.0, and SQtroff.

> I like xroff.  It and Elan seemed to be the two most robust DWB's I
> looked at.

Just what do you mean by robust?  I've only once encountered a
non-robust DWB, and that was the initial SysV/386 DWB-2.0.  The first
version of tbl from that release usually dumped core.  Some vendors
fixed it before the released it, others didn't.  Other than that, I've
rarely seen anything in any DWB behave rudely or dump core, thus I'd
call them all robust.

> The thing which was a total knock-out punch for xroff is the fact that
> the backend is not ditroff compatible - nor was it documented.
> Therefore, if you've got any tools for printer handling, fonts, etc.
> they are useless.  I needed this capability, and thus xroff was rendered
> unusable for my needs.

This does sound like a *VERY* important consideration.  There are lots
of tools for dealing with di-troff output....  Even though SoftQuad
enhanced their SQtroff output, they did fully document it (not that
it's hard to understand in the first place!), and they also provided a
filter to convert it back into di-troff(5).
--
							Greg A. Woods
woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft}.UUCP		ECI and UniForum Canada

lark@greylock.tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman) (05/09/91)

(Chip Rosenthal) writes:
  > In article <1991May3.163405.23681@solbourne.com>
  > 	tsmith@solbourne.com (Terry Smith) writes:
  > The thing which was a total knock-out punch for xroff is the fact that
  > the backend is not ditroff compatible - nor was it documented.
  > Therefore, if you've got any tools for printer handling, fonts, etc.
  > they are useless.  I needed this capability, and thus xroff was rendered
  > unusable for my needs.

  This does sound like a *VERY* important consideration.  There are lots
  of tools for dealing with di-troff output....  Even though SoftQuad
  enhanced their SQtroff output, they did fully document it (not that
  it's hard to understand in the first place!), and they also provided a
  filter to convert it back into di-troff(5).

Actually, this is probably less of a consideration than you may think.
Xroff provides an adequate selection of good fonts, as well as drivers for
almost any laser printer you could wish, and other printer drivers as
well - even popular PC printers (there is an Xroff for MS-DOS).

I've published manuals using Xroff and found it quite satisfactory -
though I like the later SQtroff stuff, too.

-lar

Lar Kaufman            I would feel more optimistic about a bright future
(voice) 512-794-9070   for man if he spent less time proving that he can
(fax)   512-794-0623   outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness
lark@tivoli.com        and respecting her seniority.  - E.B. White

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (05/10/91)

[ Maybe I can flip out trn by following up two articles at once :-) ]

In article <1991May7.170631.14030@eci386.uucp>
	woods@eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
>Just what do you mean by robust?  I've only once encountered a
>non-robust DWB, and that was the initial SysV/386 DWB-2.0.

I meant I threw a bunch of documents at it and they worked.  If I
remember correctly, the only DWB which seemed to have any problems
was the ISC troff.  It could have very well been pilot error.  I did
take pains to document my results to (what was then) ISC/Hollis since
they were kind enough to let me eval a copy, and nobody ever called
back telling me I screwed up.

In article <748@tivoli.UUCP>
	lark@greylock.tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman) writes:
>In article <1983@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM
>(Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>  > The thing which was a total knock-out punch for xroff is the fact that
>  > the backend is not ditroff compatible - nor was it documented.
>Actually, this is probably less of a consideration than you may think.
>Xroff provides an adequate selection of good fonts, as well as drivers for
>almost any laser printer you could wish

1) I rolled my own `S' font by picking and choosing glyphs I wanted.  With,
   xroff, I could not have done that.

2) My backend lets me place any arbitrary bitmap image into a document,
   providing I'm willing to throw a bit of code into understanding this
   new format.  With xroff, I could not have done that.

3) The xroff I evaluated at the time didn't even have support for
   included bitmap images.  I had a postprocessor which would.  With
   xroff, I could not use it.

4) I've got the source to my postprocessor - I can make it do whatever I
   want.  With xroff, I cannot use it.

For some folks, locking up the backend is a knockout blow.  Obviously
that isn't an issue for you.  You basically confirmed what I said in
my original message.  If you don't need access to the ditroff
postprocessor then xroff seems to be a very nice package.

--

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (05/10/91)

In article <748@tivoli.UUCP> lark@tivoli.com (Lar Kaufman) writes:
|In article <1983@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM
|(Chip Rosenthal) writes:
|  > In article <1991May3.163405.23681@solbourne.com>
|  > 	tsmith@solbourne.com (Terry Smith) writes:
|  > The thing which was a total knock-out punch for xroff is the fact that
|  > the backend is not ditroff compatible - nor was it documented.
|  > Therefore, if you've got any tools for printer handling, fonts, etc.
|  > they are useless.  I needed this capability, and thus xroff was rendered
|  > unusable for my needs.

|  This does sound like a *VERY* important consideration.  There are lots
|  of tools for dealing with di-troff output....  Even though SoftQuad
|  enhanced their SQtroff output, they did fully document it (not that
|  it's hard to understand in the first place!), and they also provided a
|  filter to convert it back into di-troff(5).

|Actually, this is probably less of a consideration than you may think.
|Xroff provides an adequate selection of good fonts, as well as drivers for
|almost any laser printer you could wish, and other printer drivers as
|well - even popular PC printers (there is an Xroff for MS-DOS).

That begs several questions:
	- since the interface isn't documented, you can't write your own
	  if xroff's vendors don't think your printer is worth while.
	- People specialize in writing drivers - I doubt that
	  xroff's HPLJ driver is as good as jetroff's or psroff's (in
	  efficiency as well as appearance), or postscript output as good
	  as psdit (Transcript).  Or has the facilities for adding fonts.
	- There are a LOT more textual output methodologies than you think.
	  I'm continually astounded with the wierd things people get
	  psroff to drive - xditview, xproof and xtroff to name
	  just ditroff display (not printing) mechanisms - each with
	  its own idiosyncrasies.
	- it is possible to do such things as page flipping in ditroff
	  format - these tools become useless with xroff.
	- Single sourcing.
	- "adequate" selection of fonts?  That sounds rather ominous.
	  Can't you add your own?

--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca