[comp.text] Calling "tbl" gurus

helena@indetech.com (Helena Farias) (05/08/91)

Hello world

i discovered "tbl" in my search for a program to format tables.
 "tbl" has satisfied most of my requirements, but i am facing
problems in certain areas such as positioning a 3-part report

it could be that i do not have enough information on how "tbl"
works.

could anyone out there please suggest a good book i could read
 or suggest any other method by which i could find out how
"tbl" works? Also, what have been your experiences/problems
with "tbl"?

I am new to this newsgroup so bear with me if this has been
discussed in recent past.

thank you
--
____*_  Helena Farias               helena@indetech.com
\  / /  Independence Technologies   {sun,sharkey,pacbell}!indetech!helena

was@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Bill Stubblebine) (05/09/91)

helena@indetech.com (Helena Farias)

> Could anyone out there please suggest a good book i could read or
> suggest any other method by which i could find out how "tbl" works?

	Two highly recommended texts:

	for general troff/nroff issues:

		UNIX Text Processing
		Dale Dougherty and Tim O'Reilly
		Haden Books
		1987
		ISBN: 0-672-46291-5
		658 pages

	specifically for tbl issues:

		Typesetting Tables on the Unix System,
		Henry McNabb & Mary McGilton,
		Trilithon Press
		1990
		ISBN: 0-9626289-0-5
		282 pages

> Also, what have been your experiences/problems with "tbl"?

	Experiences have been thoroughly satisfactory and problems minimal
	after studying the two references above.

                                Bill Stubblebine
                                Hewlett-Packard Logic Systems Div.
                                8245 N. Union Blvd.
                                Colorado Springs, CO  80920
                                was@hp-lsd.col.hp.com  (Internet)
                                (719) 590-5568

npn@cbnewsl.att.com (nils-peter.nelson) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.003918.9755@indetech.com>, helena@indetech.com (Helena Farias) writes:
> i discovered "tbl" in my search for a program to format tables.
>  "tbl" has satisfied most of my requirements, but i am facing
> problems in certain areas such as positioning a 3-part report
>
> it could be that i do not have enough information on how "tbl"
> works.
>
> could anyone out there please suggest a good book i could read
>  or suggest any other method by which i could find out how
> "tbl" works? Also, what have been your experiences/problems
> with "tbl"?

Highly recommended. Best book on the subject.

ray@vantage.UUCP (Ray Liere) (05/10/91)

I recommend the following -- a very good book on tbl -- clearly written,
lots of good examples:

	authors:  Henry McGilton and Mary McNabb
	title: Typesetting Tables on the UNIX System
	date: 1990
	publisher: Trilithon Press
	ISBN: 0-9626289-0-5

If not available in your local bookstore, you can purchase it directly
from the publisher at 334 State Street, Suite 106, Los Altos, CA 94022.
Price was $20 when we bought ours (last year) + $2.40 s/h + $1.40 if
you are having it sent within California (state sales tax).

Ray Liere
Vantage Consulting and Research Corporation
voice: +1 503 657 7294
uucp: uunet!nwnexus.WA.COM!vantage!ray
       -or-
      hplabs!hpubvwa!hpupora!vantage!ray
Internet: ray%vantage@nwnexus.WA.COM

djl@dplace.UUCP (Dave Lampe) (05/12/91)

helena@indetech.com (Helena Farias) writes:

>could anyone out there please suggest a good book i could read
> or suggest any other method by which i could find out how
>"tbl" works?

The best book I have found on nroff/troff and the various pre-processors
such as tbl/eqn/pic is "Text Processing and Typesetting with UNIX" by
David Barron and Mike Rees, published by Addison-Wesley. The ISBN is
0 201 14219 8, published in 1987 for $25.50.
--
Dave Lampe
{ames | lll-tis | sun | pyramid}!pacbell!dplace!djl

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (05/14/91)

In article <210022@vantage.UUCP>, ray@vantage.UUCP (Ray Liere) writes:

    *  I recommend the following -- a very good book on tbl -- clearly
    *  written, lots of good examples:

Ray Liere -- I have lost E-mail connection with you.  Please E-mail
at your convenience.

	........  Henry

tim@ora.com (Tim O'Reilly) (05/14/91)

In article <8210012@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM>, was@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Bill Stubblebine) writes:

> 	Two highly recommended texts:
>
> 	for general troff/nroff issues:
>
> 		UNIX Text Processing
> 		Dale Dougherty and Tim O'Reilly
>
> 	specifically for tbl issues:
>
> 		Typesetting Tables on the Unix System,
> 		Henry McNabb & Mary McGilton,

We recently took over distribution of Henry and Mary's book, and
we've resold UNIX Text Processing (the only one of our books that
we didn't publish ourselves) since it came out.

UNIX Text Processing is $26.95 plus shipping; Typesetting Tables
is $24.95.  We don't have any control over bookstore distribution
of UNIX Text Processing, but if we have anything to do with it,
Henry and Mary's book will soon be more widely available, in the
better technical bookstores.

To order directly from us, call 1-800-338-NUTS (that's 6887).

--
Tim O'Reilly @ O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.  Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks
632 Petaluma Avenue, Sebastopol, CA 95472