[comp.text] WordPerfect Question

zuena@DPW.COM (Bob Zuena) (06/04/91)

Can a typeset WordPerfect file be easily converted to ASCII and, if so, is
decimal alignment of numerical columns maintained?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bob (zuena@dpw.com)

simona@panix.uucp (Simona Nass) (06/08/91)

In article <3283@esquire.dpw.com> zuena@DPW.COM (Bob Zuena) writes:
>Can a typeset WordPerfect file be easily converted to ASCII and, if so, is
>decimal alignment of numerical columns maintained?
>
>Any help would be much appreciated.
>
>Bob (zuena@dpw.com)

Not if you used the space bar to set up the spacing. Otherwise ...

Spacing will be maintained if you used tab sets, justification or other spacing
specifications, provided you left plenty of room between vertical columns so
the text does not overlap (ascii characters are usually spaced wider than
most proportionally-spaced characters). WordPerfect will readjust the soft
returns for text in paragraphs.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I misunderstood the question. -S.
--
( rutgers!cmcl2!panix!simona,  uunet!jyacc!david, simona@panix.uucp )

tal@sdl.Warren.MENTORG.COM (Tom Limoncelli) (06/11/91)

In <esquire.3283> zuena@DPW.COM (Bob Zuena) writes:
>  Can a typeset WordPerfect file be easily converted to ASCII and, if so, is
>  decimal alignment of numerical columns maintained?
>
>  Any help would be much appreciated.

I assume you mean "can a document formatted for a proportionally spaced
font be converted to ASCII easily?"

If you have WordPerfect 5.1, the CTROL-F5,t,s (Text I/O, DOS Text, Save)
function will do that for you.  It does a *very* good (but not perfect) job
of maintaining table-looking tables, column-looking columns, etc.

Earlier versions of WP don't do such a good job.  For those you should
set up a printer definition called "standard typewritter" and have it
print to a file.

Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli -- tal@Warren.MENTORG.COM    (Please discontinue use