[comp.text] Help Needed with WordPerfect 5.0 - Line Draw

dlin@weber.ucsd.edu (Diane Lin) (06/11/91)

Hi folks,

This is my first post to this newsgroup, so I hope it's the right
one!  I'm a long-time user of WordPerfect 4.2 and just recently
upgraded to 5.0 and I've run into the following problem in producing
tables.  I use line draw to make the table look nicer, and more
readable.  It looks great on the screen, but unfortunately, when I
print it out on the laser printer (HP LaserJet II D in the default
font--Courier 10), the vertical lines are often off by a space, in a
haphazard arrangement.  They look something like this:

 |	|	|	|	|	|	|	|
 |	|      |       |       |       |       |       |
 |      |	|	|	|	|	|	|

Is the problem with the font?  Is Courier a proportional spaced
font?  Any help would be most appreciated, since I put a lot of time
into these tables, and it's really frustrating to have it look great
on the screen, but look like #$%! on the printout!  Thanks in
advance!

BTW, I notice that there IS a difference in the character position
as stated in the status line, but I can't figure out why that's
occurring.  I never had this problem with version 4.2, FYI.

Diane Lin
dlin@weber.ucsd.edu

pshuang@athena.mit.edu (Ping-Shun Huang) (06/20/91)

In article <5456@network.ucsd.edu> dlin@weber.ucsd.edu (Diane Lin) writes:

 > just recently upgraded to 5.0 and I've run into the following problem in
 > producing tables.  I use line draw to make the table look nicer, and
 > more readable.

If it is feasible (i.e. if you're not running on the slowest of hardware
like an XT and if you're willing to put out a little bit more money to
upgrade again) I would go to Wordperfect 5.1 to solve your problem.
(Sidenote: how did you manage to upgrade to 5.0 at this late date in
time, anyway?  Did you get the upgrade direct from WPcorp, and did they
strongly suggest that you go to 5.1 instead?)

5.1 comes with a built-in table editor, which while a little slow, gives
excellent results and is faster and easier to manage and edit later than
trying to build tables from the line-draw function.  In addition, I
never did like the text-line draw option in 5.0, anyway.  5.1 includes a
"graphics" line draw which can be completely independent of text which
is on the line.  It's called "graphics" because it is with the other
graphics functions on the Alt-F9 key, and because the printer has to
draw the line rather than print text characters which happen to look
like a line on paper.

If upgrading is not a good option for you, try calling Wordperfect and
make sure that you have a pretty up-to-date version of 5.0, on which
they will still fix bugs, I believe.

--
Above text where applicable is (c) Copyleft 1991, all rights deserved by:
UNIX:/etc/ping instantiated (Ping Huang) [INTERNET: pshuang@athena.mit.edu]