[comp.text] question RE: cnews feed setup

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (06/25/91)

>                         there is no ascii rendition of
>the man pages, and I don't have text processing tools
>(which is another flame entirely - anyone know of
>any good text processing tools available for public consumption?).

TeX and LaTeX? :-)  (see
pit-manager.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/comp.text.tex/Frequently_Asked_Questions_about_TeX,_etc._-_with_Answers_[Monthly])

The simple solution is to pick up Henry Spencer's Amazingly Workable
Formatter (awf) from any comp.sources.unix archive site.  It's an awk
rewrite of "nroff -man" and a subset of "nroff -ms".

    Submitted-by: henry@zoo.toronto.edu
    Posting-number: Volume 23, Issue 27
    Archive-name: awf

or ftp.cs.toronto.edu:pub/awf.shar.Z

It's a bit slow, but does format the C News manual pages.  If you
don't have awk, get either mawk (oxy.edu:public/mawk0.995.tar.Z) or
gawk (prep.ai.mit.edu:pub/gnu/gawk-2.13.tar.Z)

For a more general solution, try GNU groff.
(prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu/groff-1.02.tar.Z) It's written in C++ so you
will need a C++ compiler or g++ (also available from prep.ai.mit.edu)
to compile it.

For those with a non-PostScript HP LaserJet printer (groff doesn't
support it yet), or have old (non-ditroff) troff and want to convert to
ditroff/PostScript/LaserJet, try Chris Lewis' psroff (due to show up
in comp.sources.unix any day now, if it hasn't already appeared, also
on ftp.cs.toronto.edu:pub/psroff-3.0/*)

	Mark.

tarjeij@ulrik.uio.no (Tarjei Jensen) (06/25/91)

There is also something called cawf. This I believe is a C version of awf.
I suppose you'll find it on wsrm-simtel20.army.mil or its mirrors
(wuarchive.wustl.edu and friends).

--
// Tarjei T. Jensen - if it ain't broken, fix it anyway!
//    tarjeij@ulrik.uio.no       || +47 87 21138

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (06/26/91)

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:

> For those with a non-PostScript HP LaserJet printer (groff doesn't
> support it yet),

It's not a problem.  groff will produce DVI.  There are several
DVI->HPLJII drivers about -- I use one from nestroy.wu-wien.ac.at
(pub/src/Typeset/dvi2xx/*) -- thanks to comp.archives for that one.

groff comes with font widths prebuilt for the CM fonts too, although
it will sometimes want odd magnifications, so you may have to build
the pk's yourself.
--
Ronald Khoo <ronald@robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.185951.6833@robobar.co.uk> ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
|moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) writes:

|> For those with a non-PostScript HP LaserJet printer (groff doesn't
|> support it yet),

|It's not a problem.  groff will produce DVI.  There are several
|DVI->HPLJII drivers about -- I use one from nestroy.wu-wien.ac.at
|(pub/src/Typeset/dvi2xx/*) -- thanks to comp.archives for that one.

Or use groff's ditroff output and drive jetroff (may need a little
diddling) or psroff (should work out of the box).
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca