[comp.text] Frame vs. Interleaf vs. ?

mark@hermesa.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (06/20/91)

My company is evaluating high-end publishing packages.  So far we
have a demo of Frame (which looks great) and the Interleaf rep salivating
over us; haven't seen his package yet.

Have you been through this?  Which did you pick and why?  Are there other
contenders that we should consider?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
--
Mark McWiggins
mark@hermesa.uucp

steve@rastaban.anu.oz.au (Steven Ball) (06/21/91)

mark@hermesa.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:

>My company is evaluating high-end publishing packages.  So far we
>have a demo of Frame (which looks great) and the Interleaf rep salivating
>over us; haven't seen his package yet.

>Have you been through this?  Which did you pick and why?  Are there other
>contenders that we should consider?

Indeed we have.  We too have a demo copy of Frame.  Interleaf gave a demo copy
too.  In fact, any site with Interleaf can give you a demo copy, you can
save files and print only if you have a password.  My feeling was that they
are essentially leap-frogging each other feature-wise, but that Interleaf was
ahead by a nose.

In the end our decision came down to the bottom line - cost.  Interleaf gives
educational institutions a very nice deal... they practically give it away!
Frame has floating licenses, and with >150 Suns that would have run into
many thousands of dollars.

>Thanks in advance for any insight.
>--
>Mark McWiggins
>mark@hermesa.uucp
>...uw-beaver!amc-gw!hermesa!mark
>Box 40357, Bellevue WA  98004 / +1 206 455 2786 (24 hrs.)
--
Steven Ball, Department of Computer Science, ANU
E-mail: steve@anucsd.anu.edu.au		Ph. (06) 2495146

fred@compu.com (Fred Rump) (06/21/91)

mark@hermesa.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:

>My company is evaluating high-end publishing packages.  So far we
>have a demo of Frame (which looks great) and the Interleaf rep salivating
>over us; haven't seen his package yet.

>Have you been through this?  Which did you pick and why?  Are there other
>contenders that we should consider?

        To me availablility across as many platforms as possible is a key
        ingredient here. Performance and price are also big
        considerations.

        Having seen Frame 3.0 satisfied the performance/functionality
        issue. Platforms are everywhere. Price was good for the main line
        we need it for: SCO OpenDeskTop ($995)

        Since Interleaf was not available where we see the biggest
        market, why even bother looking. Perhaps it is simply too high
        end for us, but Frame seems to do everything imaginable plus
        some. I guess you know what the conclusion was, right?

        Fred

        PS We don't have 3.0 yet on the SCO platform - another couple
        weeks they say. [Maybe August? :-)]

--
Fred Rump              | 'A little learning is a dangerous thing/Drink deep
CompuData, Inc.        | or taste not the Pierian spring'    Alexander Pope

pa1@tdatirv.UUCP (Pat Alvarado) (06/26/91)

mark@hermesa.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:

>My company is evaluating high-end publishing packages.  So far we
>have a demo of Frame (which looks great) and the Interleaf rep salivating
>over us; haven't seen his package yet.

>Have you been through this?  Which did you pick and why?  Are there other
>contenders that we should consider?

I also have evaluated FrameMaker and Interleaf and found that Interleaf
makes it very difficult to maintain. I am using a Sun 386i Workstation
running SunOS 4.0.3 and SunView. My problems with Interleaf began with
the swap space cost, 26MB per WS recommended by Interleaf.

Printing became a factor also. First, Interleaf generates print requests
as userid daemon and generates its own cover page which looks different
than cover pages we use with lpr. This caused confusion when someone at
the printer would be sorting the output and not recognizing the cover
page would mix it up with a previous output.

FrameMaker prints jobs as the real userid of the user. In addition,
an adjustable shell script is available to custom control print jobs.
e.g. If a job will generate a large output, send it to an appropriate
printer for a large output.

Interleaf generates enormous PostScript for print jobs, causing print
requests to take much longer than necessary, and sometime not at all
because Interleaf didn't know how to handle jobs larger than 1MB with
lpr, so lpr would truncate the file. In one case, a single page in
Interleaf generated 900k of PostScript. Interleaf would also take up
so much memory during printing that if a moderate number of other
windows were open (3-4), Interleaf might run out of memory.

FrameMaker generated approximately 1/4 the PostScript code for a similar
document in Interleaf. If a PostScript file did exceed 1MB, the file
would be created locally and a symbolic link established using the
-s option of lpr. I could have as many as 15 other windows open while
using FrameMaker.

In order to resolve a lot of customization, a System Admin with root
password had to get involved to make simple changes. All changes were
Workstation dependent, not user dependent. So provided I always worked
at the same WS, which is usually the case, my WS dependent license and
changes remained intact.

FrameMaker allows the user to use the default system settings, or
create their own in their home directory regardless of the WS. These
include custom templates, lpr scripts, filter programs, window layout,
keyboard shortcuts, etc... and without intervention from a Sys Admin
with root privilege.

Interleaf places all documents within a "desktop" ignoring the main
desktop on the Workstation. This limits workspace, unless the Interleaf
desktop is allowed to expand the entire screen.

FrameMaker places all documents within the main desktop, unconstrained.
You may move the document anywhere you wish. FrameMaker occasionally
has trouble painting the window when sharing with other windows
(at least with SunView), and can be corrected by the redisplay command.
Hopefully this is fixed with FrameMaker 3.0.

Lastly, ease of use. Interleaf has "Walking Menus" in which one must
sift through several levels of menus to achieve even simple tasks,
such as drawing a line, or changing an attribute in a paragraph. Some
commands may be executed via keyboard, but all by mouse.

FrameMaker has a single menu bar at the top of each document. Each menu
generates a task or a "Dialog Box" in which you simply check off what
you need, and apply. Important dialog boxes such as Paragraph attributes,
character attributes, Graphics toolbox, etc ... may remain open. All
commands may be executed by either keyboard or mouse, and FrameMaker
will indicate the keyboard equivelant next to the menu selection.

While Interleaf may have an abundance of features for creating professional
publications, I found that FrameMaker's features fell within the boundaries
of my needs and made it faster and more productive to create documentation.

Disclaimer:

My views and opinions are my own and do not represent in any way,
shape or form my employer's. I have no affiliation with either Interleaf
or Frame Technology other than as a customer.
--
  |||   Pat Alvarado                |
   v    Teradata Corporation        | tdat!pa1@suntzu.sun.com

davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown) (06/28/91)

  I'm an Interleaf bigot: I found Frame more elegant and faster to learn, but
harder to do difficult things with (like *!#@$@^!!! tables)
  On a 2/50 (although a 3/6 is far better) I dodn't have any of the printing
or space problems experienced by Pat Alvarado: I think they're port-specific
to the 386 version.  Mind you, I lied to lpr and told it the speed to use
was 38,400...

  And if you want to customize Interleaf, all you have to do is get you systems
admin to give you a lisp procedure in the standard ``desktop'' to allow you
to select your personal version.  Knowing interleaf, its probaly something
like (bang-symlink-on-head-with my-desktop ordinary-desktop (;-))

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA | lethe!dave
72 Abitibi Ave.,      |

peter@micromuse.co.uk (Peter Galbavy) (06/28/91)

pa1@tdatirv.UUCP (Pat Alvarado) writes:

>mark@hermesa.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:

>>My company is evaluating high-end publishing packages.  So far we
>>have a demo of Frame (which looks great) and the Interleaf rep salivating
>>over us; haven't seen his package yet.

>>Have you been through this?  Which did you pick and why?  Are there other
>>contenders that we should consider?

>I also have evaluated FrameMaker and Interleaf and found that Interleaf
>makes it very difficult to maintain. I am using a Sun 386i Workstation
>running SunOS 4.0.3 and SunView. My problems with Interleaf began with
>the swap space cost, 26MB per WS recommended by Interleaf.

I know I shouldn't but: Have you seen Avalon from Elan ? We are the UK
distributor, and so this is almost advertising, but I am not the 'expert'.

If you want more details contact Elan direct on: (415) 964 2200 or
sales@elan.com (I think).

>Disclaimer:

>My views and opinions are my own and do not represent in any way,
>shape or form my employer's. I have no affiliation with either Interleaf
>or Frame Technology other than as a customer.

ditto.
--
Peter Galbavy
Tech Support, Micromuse Ltd

mark@drd.com (Mark Lawrence) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun28.030953.9094@newshub.ccs.yorku.ca> davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown) writes:
>  I'm an Interleaf bigot: I found Frame more elegant and faster to learn, but
>harder to do difficult things with (like *!#@$@^!!! tables)

I'm a frame bigot: Frame 3.0 (shipping now for Suns running
Sunview and shortly for platforms running X) reportably
handles tables with the same aplomb as paragraph formats.

--
mark@drd.com
mark@jnoc.go.jp  $B!J%^!<%/!&%i%l%s%9!K(B  Nihil novum sub solem