[net.periphs] RS232-to-Centronics converter?

mp@allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) (06/23/85)

We have an inkjet printer that only has a Centronics interface,
but we'd like to feed it serial data from our VAX.  We're
currently using a 3B2 as a null modem, but would like something
simpler.  The Black Box gadgets do a bit more than what we really
need, too.  Any suggestions?
	Mark Plotnick
	allegra!mp

bb@wjh12.UUCP (byer) (06/23/85)

> 	Mark Plotnick (	allegra!mp ) writes:
> We have an inkjet printer that only has a Centronics interface,
> but we'd like to feed it serial data from our VAX.  ....
>  The Black Box gadgets do a bit more than what we really need, too.

The problem here is not just wires & connectors, but Flow-Control.
If you are using a non-DEC serial line controller, you might be
equipped with DTR or CTS control.  In this case, a simple adapter
can be obtained which will `tie' the Centronics' <rdy/busy> line
to the DTR/CTS.  I have seen this adapter advertised in Byte (in
the back among the flock of 1" x 2" ads) for < $100.

If you have to use x-on/x-off flow control, you had better dig deeper
into your pocket.  One possibility is a `printer buffer' as is common
among mono-tasking devotees.  If you can find one that does what you
need (and/or vice-versa), pls report back to the Net.

If that fails, it's either hack-it-yourself (from a single-chip computer?)
or call Black Box ($450, I think).

Brent Byer (harvard!wjh12!bb)
			``Hey, Paro, I think he broke the President.''