[net.periphs] 6250-bpi tape drives

bukys@rochester.UUCP (Liudvikas Bukys) (08/07/85)

We are looking for a 6250-bpi tape drive to attach to a VAX.

The candidates seem to be the Cipher M990 and the Kennedy 9400.  I
would appreciate hearing about other people's experiences with these
drives.  I have heard rumors about (1) difficulties with the automatic
threading of some tapes, (2) problems writing past logical EOT.

I have also seen the report about the TC7000 not flushing its buffer
right on certain block sizes.

I would approciate confirmation or elucidation on these problems or any
others.  I would also like to hear comments on reliability, and
anything else you can think of.

Thanks!
Liudvikas Bukys
bukys@rochester.arpa
rochester!bukys (via allegra, decvax, seismo)

karsh@geowhiz.UUCP (Bruce Karsh) (08/08/85)

In article <10918@rochester.UUCP> bukys@rochester.UUCP (Liudvikas Bukys) writes:
>We are looking for a 6250-bpi tape drive to attach to a VAX.
>
>The candidates seem to be the Cipher M990 and the Kennedy 9400.  I
>would appreciate hearing about other people's experiences with these
>drives.  I have heard rumors about (1) difficulties with the automatic
>threading of some tapes, (2) problems writing past logical EOT.

  We just bought the M990 drive.  We had problems with tape motion
around BOT.  Cipher sent us new ROMS and the problems went away.

  We have had no problems with tape loading.  Our old Cipher Micro-Streamer II's
had a lot of problems with loading, especially if the takeup hub and tachometer
pinch roller were not clean.  So if people are having these problems, then
you could ask if they ever clean these parts.

  The biggest limitation that I see in using the M990 is that it will not write
tape blocks longer than 32K bytes long.

  The manuals that come with the drive is terrible.  The configuration and
setup promts are sort of confusing.

  They are quite a bit larger than the Micro-Streamer II's.  Fortunately,
Cipher came up with much nicer rack mounting hardware for the M990.  The
M990's still take up a lot less rack space than conventional vertical mount
tape drives.

  One nice feature is that the transfer rate from the CPU to the drive is
specifiable when you configure the drive.  This means that they will work
with most any Pertec compatible controller.

  They sure are fast for such a low cost unit!

  (Sorry, I don't know whether we've ever tried writing past logical EOT.  We
  mostly use our drive for dumps, tars and restores.  They seem to work
  ok).

Bruce Karsh
U. Wisc. Dept. Geology and Geophysics
1215 W Dayton, Madison, WI 53706