[net.periphs] HELP! RUSH! need info on EBCDIC to ASCII conversion

tks@cbscc.UUCP (Tom Snow) (09/13/85)

HELP!  I'M LOOKING FOR INFO ....  RUSH! I WAS JUST GIVEN THE ASSIGNMENT
BUT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DESIGNED YESTERDAY (TYPICAL) !

I have a design need where I must convert between EBCDIC to ASCII code
and visa versa.

The hardware I must interface to is an old IBM 360/50 hooked to an IBM
1052 console. I need to pick off the data stream from the interconnecting
cables and convert the data from IBM EBCDIC code to standard ASCII code
on a serial RS232  port.

Does anyone out there know if "such-a-animal" exists?

It could be a hardware or software or combination solution, I'm open
for suggestions, before I have to design it from the beginning.

If you can be of any help call me at (614)860-4455 or send by electronic
mail to  ...!cbosgd!cbsck!tks

			Thanks!  Tom Snow - AT&TBL Columbus, Ohio

zben@umd5.UUCP (09/17/85)

In article <5900@cbscc.UUCP> tks@cbscc.UUCP (Tom Snow) writes:
>I have a design need where I must convert between EBCDIC to ASCII code
>and visa versa.

Be warned - EBCDIC is much more fluid than ASCII.  There are no define square
brackets [], so we added them in at unused code positions on our IBM systems.
I am also tracking down some problems for one of our local users who sent some
programs to other IBM sites on BitNet and claims the recipients claim that
characters are screwed up, control characters appear, etc.

In this particular case you have a hardware device (console) that should
pretty much standardize what YOU think is EBCDIC, but if you take the
commercial solution route you might want to peruse the tables of what THEY
think is EBCDIC before you lay your greenbacks down...
--
Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben@umd2.ARPA