[net.periphs] Using a Fujitsu M2333k disk on PDP 11/73

kim@emory.UUCP (Kim Wallen {Psychology}) (12/06/85)

We would like to use a Fujitsu M2333k 337 mbyte drive on our PDP 11/73
running HCR's UNITY (SYS III based UNIX (TM)) operating system.
According to our supplier for the disk drive (Cambridge Digital) the
drive uses an Emulex QD32 controller which emulates a 'du' device.
HCR does not have a driver for such a combination.  Does anyone out
there know what a 'du' device is?  Is there anyone using a similar
combination of machine and controller who could point us to a
source for the appropriate driver?  If necessary we are willing to
go to another UNIX (TM) to get this combination on our machine.

Thanks

Kim Wallen
Psychology Dept.
Emory University
Atlanta, Ga 30322

(404) 727-4125

{akgua sb1 gatech}!emory!kim

jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Siegal) (12/08/85)

In article <1558@emory.UUCP> kim@emory.UUCP (Kim Wallen {Psychology}) writes:

>We would like to use a Fujitsu M2333k 337 mbyte drive on our PDP 11/73
>running HCR's UNITY (SYS III based UNIX (TM)) operating system.
>According to our supplier for the disk drive (Cambridge Digital) the
>drive uses an Emulex QD32 controller which emulates a 'du' device.
>HCR does not have a driver for such a combination.  Does anyone out
>there know what a 'du' device is?  Is there anyone using a similar
>combination of machine and controller who could point us to a
>source for the appropriate driver?  If necessary we are willing to
>go to another UNIX (TM) to get this combination on our machine.

A 'DU' device is one which conforms to DEC's MSCP protocal.  A single
driver is able to control any MSCP device.  DEC devices which use this
protocal include the RA81 and RA80.  Thus, what you need is a RA81
driver.

Jeff Siegal - MIT EECS (jbs@mit-eddie)

steve@hcradm.UUCP (Steve Pozgaj) (12/10/85)

In article <665@mit-eddie.UUCP> jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Siegal) writes:

>In article <1558@emory.UUCP> kim@emory.UUCP (Kim Wallen {Psychology}) writes:
>>
>>We would like to use a Fujitsu M2333k 337 mbyte drive on our PDP 11/73
>>running HCR's UNITY (SYS III based UNIX (TM)) operating system.
>>HCR does not have a driver for such a combination.  Does anyone out
>>there know what a 'du' device is?
>A 'DU' device is one which conforms to DEC's MSCP protocal.  A single
>driver is able to control any MSCP device.  DEC devices which use this
>protocal include the RA81 and RA80.  Thus, what you need is a RA81
>driver.
>
>Jeff Siegal - MIT EECS (jbs@mit-eddie)

I'd like to point out, for the record, that HCR *does* supply an RA81 driver
(as well as RA60 and RA80) in our PDP/UNITY product, and have since Oct/83.
The confusion stems from the fact that we knew nothing about which DEC device
Mr. Wallen's configuration emulates, and hence his misunderstanding that that
means we don't support the device.  We thank Mr. Siegal for pointing out
the facts.

Steve Pozgaj,
Manager, Customer Services.

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (12/10/85)

In article <1558@emory.UUCP> kim@emory.UUCP (Kim Wallen {Psychology}) writes:

>We would like to use a Fujitsu M2333k 337 mbyte drive on our PDP 11/73
>running HCR's UNITY (SYS III based UNIX (TM)) operating system.
>According to our supplier for the disk drive (Cambridge Digital) the
>drive uses an Emulex QD32 controller which emulates a 'du' device.
>HCR does not have a driver for such a combination.  Does anyone out
>there know what a 'du' device is?  Is there anyone using a similar
>combination of machine and controller who could point us to a
>source for the appropriate driver?  If necessary we are willing to
>go to another UNIX (TM) to get this combination on our machine.

	As someone else mentioned, a DU is a MSCP drive, e.g. RD51, RA81, etc.

	You can either find a driver or use a different disk/controller.

	VENIX-11 (Venturecom), XENIX (SCO), and Ultrix-11 (DEC) all have drivers
for the DU drives in their PDP-11 UNIX's. I would recommend Ultrix-11 (V3.0) of
those. It is very close to 4.2BSD (for the VAX) and is quite well done
(including ETHERNET support, job control, pseudo-tty's, etc.)
	In addition, although 2.9BSD isn't distributed with a DU driver, I have
heard someone on USENET say that they have one.

	There must be other controllers for the Fuji M2333k (actually, I've
never heard of it, It must be new...). If it is an SMD drive, Emulex, Dilog,
Spectralogics, MDB, Plessey all make SMD controllers for SMD drives that look
like RK06/7's or RM03/5's, which your HCR Unity should have a driver for. If its
not SMD, I would suggest getting an SMD drive instead of a ST506 or SCSI drive.
Much faster...

	If high performance is your game, get an SMD drive with a controller
that can do block mode DMA and requires NO sector interleaving. I know
Spectralogics has such controllers, I don't know about the others.

	One last tip for high performance, change your 11/73 15Mhz crystal to
an 18Mhz or 20Mhz crystal. (It is also wise to upgrade an 11/73 YA (KDJ-11AA)
to the 11/73 YB (KDJ-11AB), DEC will do it for $50. It will make the 20Mhz
upgrade easier as well as allow the use of the FPA chip.)

					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					Dept. Neurobiology
					Rockefeller Univ.
					1230 York Ave.
					NY, NY 10021
					212-570-7671
					...cmcl2!rna!dan
					rna!dan@cmcl2.arpa

saltiel@cdstar.UUCP (Jack Saltiel) (12/11/85)

In article <1558@emory.UUCP>, kim@emory.UUCP (Kim Wallen {Psychology}) writes:

> We would like to use a Fujitsu M2333k 337 mbyte drive on our PDP 11/73
> running HCR's UNITY (SYS III based UNIX (TM)) operating system.
> According to our supplier for the disk drive (Cambridge Digital) the
> drive uses an Emulex QD32 controller which emulates a 'du' device.
> HCR does not have a driver for such a combination.  Does anyone out
> there know what a 'du' device is?  Is there anyone using a similar
> combination of machine and controller who could point us to a
> source for the appropriate driver?  If necessary we are willing to
> go to another UNIX (TM) to get this combination on our machine.

Yah: the "DU" device is an MSCP type device. This includes, from
DEC, RX50, RD5[123] on the Qbus via a RQDX[123] controller.
It also includes the RA60 and RA8[01] via the UDA50 controller on
the Unibus and will soon include the RA60/80/81 in the Qbus via
the KDA50 controller. Emulex's QD32 does the Qbus emulation for
you. HCR used to support RA type devices, so if they convert their
driver for the Qbus, you got it made. However, they tend to be
very provincial about those kinds of changes. Venix-11, however,
which is available in Version 7 and System V varieties, will
support this device type handily.
(Small commercial: If you need help, call us @617-491-2700)
--
					Jack Saltiel
					Cambridge Digital Systems

	"Here's to plain speaking and clear understanding."
	"I like talking with a man who likes to talk."