[net.periphs] Optical Disk Drives

djm@nmtvax.UUCP (12/31/85)

I've been noticing ads in Dr. Dobb's Journal from Optotech, Inc. for an
optical disk drive.  To quote the ad :

    Optical Disk Drive 5984
    * 200 megabytes on a removable cartridge
    * Fast access read and _write_
    * For PCs and minis
    * Extensive interface software
    * Available Now

Does anyone know anything about this puppy?  Specifically, is it actually
using CD-type medium, does it really work, how fast is fast, etc.?

Thanx.
    Dieter Muller
    (uucp)         ucbvax ! unmvax ! -------------------------V
    (uucp)         [ihnp4 | cmcl2] ! lanl {ARPA | UUCP} ! --> nmtvax!djm
    (arpa)         djm.nmt@csnet-relay
    (csnet)        djm@nmt
    (telepath_net) Hey you!  Yeah, you with the fuzzy face!

Choose a disclaimer, any disclaimer.  Now hold it so I can't see it....

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (01/02/86)

In article <922@nmtvax.UUCP> djm@nmtvax.UUCP (The Demented Teddy Bear) writes:
>I've been noticing ads in Dr. Dobb's Journal from Optotech, Inc. for an
>optical disk drive.  To quote the ad :
>
>    Optical Disk Drive 5984
>    * 200 megabytes on a removable cartridge
>    * Fast access read and _write_
>    * For PCs and minis
>    * Extensive interface software
>    * Available Now
>
>Does anyone know anything about this puppy?  Specifically, is it actually
>using CD-type medium, does it really work, how fast is fast, etc.?
>    Dieter Muller

In the same light, does anybody have any info on the Shugart SA500(0?)
From what I understand, it uses $20 CD-sized blanks and sells for around
5k or so.  NASA/Goddard is rumored to have received one two or three months
ago.

thanks in advance,
-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742