[net.periphs] IBM PC floppies and DEC RX50 floppies ?

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (01/20/86)

	Is there any way to read or write an IBM PC 5 1/4" floppy with
a DEC RX50 floppy drive (PDP-11 or MicrovaxII), or vice versa ? Perhaps
the formats are hopelessly incompatible...

	Thanks.

					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					Dept. Neurobiology
					Rockefeller Univ.
					1230 York Ave.
					NY, NY 10021
					212-570-7671
					...cmcl2!rna!dan
					rna!dan@cmcl2.arpa

paul@vcvax1.UUCP (paul) (01/20/86)

> 	Is there any way to read or write an IBM PC 5 1/4" floppy with
> a DEC RX50 floppy drive (PDP-11 or MicrovaxII), or vice versa ? Perhaps
> the formats are hopelessly incompatible...

The DEC RX50 floppies are formatted very differently than the
the IBM PC diskettesa.  I don't believe that the RQDX controllers on the
DEC PDP-11 or Microvax have the capability to read the PC format diskettes
(I know the VENIX driver we provide for the Micro-11 doesn't do it).

The closest you can come, I believe, is on the DEC Pro and Rainbow,
which have the capability to read (but NOT write!) single-sided
single-density PC diskettes.  Device nodes are supplied on VENIX/Rainbow
to read the diskettes; on VENIX/PRO, you have to build them by adding
in 8 and 16 to the standard floppy minor device numbers, to handle 8 sector
and 9 sectors PC diskettes, respectively.  (This is an unsupported,
undocumented feature on the Pro.)

Paul Kleppner
VenturCom, Inc.

kotter@muscat.UUCP (Rich Kotter) (01/22/86)

In article <167@vcvax1.UUCP> paul@vcvax1.UUCP (paul) writes:
>> 	Is there any way to read or write an IBM PC 5 1/4" floppy with
>> a DEC RX50 floppy drive (PDP-11 or MicrovaxII), or vice versa ?
>
>The closest you can come, I believe, is on the DEC Pro and Rainbow,
>which have the capability to read (but NOT write!) single-sided
>single-density PC diskettes.

I know that on the Rainbow you can both read and write to a diskette that
has PREVIOUSLY  been formatted single sided on the IBM PC. You cannot format
the diskette on the Rainbow.

Rich Kotter

--

Rich Kotter 	decvax!decwrl!muscat!kotter

ccc@cwruecmp.UUCP (Case Computer Club) (01/23/86)

It IS possible to read an IBM-PC floppy on an RX-50 drive.  Provided, of
course, that it is a single-sided floppy.  I have written a program for
the PRO-350 which will read (but not write) these floppies.  I'd
be more than happy to send it to you if you're interested.

				Carl Fongheiser
				...!decvax!cwruecmp!happy!cmf
				cmf%happy%case@CSnet-relay.ARPA