[net.periphs] Does anybody know about noise shielding?

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (02/13/86)

We have an eagle in our machine room.  Its makes so much noise that it
is hard to work in this room.  Does anybody know any cheap ways of
shielding?
--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura

jmg@sftig.UUCP (J.McGhee) (02/18/86)

> We have an eagle in our machine room.  Its makes so much noise that it
> is hard to work in this room.  Does anybody know any cheap ways of
> shielding?
> --
> Laura Creighton
> ihnp4!hoptoad!laura
> laura@lll-crg.arpa

	You build a box out of wood or some other fairly strong material
which approximates the size and shape of your noisy peripheral, but somewhat
larger to allow for easy access to controls. Build in access doors so that you
can change printer paper without completely removing the box. Build in clear
plastic windows in spots where you want a viewing port. Cut openings for cables
and printer paper to pass in and out. When your box is finished, you line it
wherever possible with soft foam rubber of the type frequently used as packing
material.
	Have you ever noticed echoes when you enter an empty room? The foam
rubber soaks up sound the same way that drapes, carpeting and furniture
deaden the echoes of an empty room.

					J. M. McGhee

> 	You build a box out of wood or some other fairly strong material...
> Build in access doors... Build in clear plastic windows in spots where you
> want a viewing port. Cut openings for cables and printer paper... line it
> wherever possible with soft foam rubber...

You forgot one major step:  install a cooling fan so that the expensive
electronics inside (Eagles aren't dime-store items!) don't overheat.  And
then start all over again, because the $@#%@ fan is too noisy!

Seriously, this is a real and major problem, and by far the biggest headache
involved in noise shielding:  providing adequate cooling.  Fans are probably
causing a major fraction of the noise in the first place!
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

wmartin@brl-smoke.UUCP (03/06/86)

I'm a little confused by this discussion. Are you aware that printer
housings, with built-in fans, noise shielding, and paper slots designed
for the dimensions of most varieties of printers, are available from the
usual sources of computer supplies, like Inmac, Global, etc.? True, most
are overpriced, but it is certainly easier to just buy this sort of
thing than to build it. (Assuming you don't work for the gov't, where
the procurement paperwork will delay it for 18 months...)

Maybe you are not on the mailing lists I am, but I seem to get hundreds
of these kinds of catalogs, usually in multiple copies...

Will

laura@hoptoad.UUCP (03/08/86)

In article <1556@brl-smoke.ARPA> wmartin@brl-smoke.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>I'm a little confused by this discussion. Are you aware that printer
>housings, with built-in fans, noise shielding, and paper slots designed
>for the dimensions of most varieties of printers, are available from the
>usual sources of computer supplies, like Inmac, Global, etc.?

I posted the original request.  My printer is fine.  It is my *eagle*
disk which is too noisy.

--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura  utzoo!hoptoad!laura  sun!hoptoad!laura