[net.periphs] Help with Racal-Vadic Maxwell 1200V Modem

hal@isrnix.UUCP (hal) (03/14/86)

switched to the Racal-Vadic 1200V modem. There is one slight problem:
	We cannot dial out using this modem !...
	and sometimes it will not answer a call, and sometimes
	it will.
We have tried every possible interface available under xenix to be
able to dial out of the system. We have four of these, 3 of which
are for the expansion rs-232 board, so our problem is worsening.
Both Tandy and Racal-Vadic have been of zero help, I hope someone
on the net can help.

Thanx in advance !!

Hal N. Fuquay
Director of Unix Operations
College of Engineering and Computing Sciences
University of Evansville
Evansville, IN

UUCP: ihnp!inuxc!isrnix!uextrjs!hal
VOICE: 812-428-6319

............'There before the GRACE of HOPPER go I'..............

alvarado@fritz.UUCP (Pat Alvarado) (03/18/86)

In article <718@isrnix.UUCP> hal@isrnix.UUCP (hal) writes:
>switched to the Racal-Vadic 1200V modem. There is one slight problem:
>	We cannot dial out using this modem !...
>	and sometimes it will not answer a call, and sometimes
>	it will.

	My experience with the Racal-Vadic 1200V modem dealing with these
problems have been attributed from the DTR not being enabled. Racal-Vadic
requires pin 20 (DTR) to be enabled for ALL auto operations. This includes
auto dialing and auto-answering. My suggestion to you is to check the
following;

		Option 4 (auto-answer) set to 1 (enabled)
		Option 6 (Dial Mode) set to 2 (Tone)
			- This is usually required for most phone lines.
			  The Racal-Vadic seems to dial better this way.
		Pin 20 (DTR) is above +3vdc or enabled by jumpering pin 20
			to pin 9 (Test Voltage) which will enable DTR all
			the time.

	I hope this information will help you out. Good Luck!

--
	-- Pat Alvarado
	   FileNet Corp.